+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR holders travelling to U.S

willnv

Jul 11, 2008
Hi, my wife has her Canadian PR and I am a Canadian citizen. Since she is not from a visa exempt country she needs a visa to enter the states. I have heard from a few people that the visa may be good for 10 years and multiple entry's. I haven't seen anything on the American consulate's website that mentions this. I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this and what the case is.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
The US does issue 10-year multiple entry visas.

willnv said:
Hi, my wife has her Canadian PR and I am a Canadian citizen. Since she is not from a visa exempt country she needs a visa to enter the states. I have heard from a few people that the visa may be good for 10 years and multiple entry's. I haven't seen anything on the American consulate's website that mentions this. I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this and what the case is.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
willnv said:
Hi you are correct.
It is up to the discretion of the US Consular Officer to grant her multiple entry visa for 10 years. Perhaps the entry may limit to one year, if the officer is not fully satisfied about her return from US. If she can prove strong ties with Canada she may get an extended period.

willnv

Jul 11, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Do you have to apply for a multiple entry visa or is it just a general visa you apply for and they decide what they're going to give you? Also do you need to be going on a vacation or something in order to apply? The reason I want her to get one is so she can go with me to the states whenever, just for shopping or maybe a little road trip here and there but no I have no specific date in the future. I am a Canadian citizen and we have a 2 year old daughter, would that be enough to satisfy the officer? We own a house, but her name is not on the title so I don't think that would be of any use? She's live in Canada for 3 years now. Also, would it be a limited amount of entries, like say 3 entries or is there no limit?

EbonyIvory

Oct 18, 2011
willnv said:
I got the states travel visa for 10 yrs in 2007 before my country is a visa exempt country.
As an international student that time in Canada, i could only provide my driver licence, bank balance,and letter from my school with the American Consulate in Vancouver.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
willnv said:
Thanks for the replies. Do you have to apply for a multiple entry visa or is it just a general visa you apply for and they decide what they're going to give you? Also do you need to be going on a vacation or something in order to apply? The reason I want her to get one is so she can go with me to the states whenever, just for shopping or maybe a little road trip here and there but no I have no specific date in the future. I am a Canadian citizen and we have a 2 year old daughter, would that be enough to satisfy the officer? We own a house, but her name is not on the title so I don't think that would be of any use? She's live in Canada for 3 years now. Also, would it be a limited amount of entries, like say 3 entries or is there no limit?
Hi,

Your wife will automatically get a multiple entry visa to US when she apply for a B2 visa. Being a Canadian PR with Canadian husband, child and a house in Canada she should get a 10 year multiple entry visa. She can return and re-enter several times using the same I-94 (Arrival-Departure record ) issued at the boarder till its expiry which is 6 months. Don't return that I-94 till its expiry at the Canadian boarder when returning from US. After expiry for further entries she need to get another I-94 from the US boarder office. She can go for shopping in US any time as you wish. The number of entries are not limited.