+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR holder getting married soon

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi All,

I'm a Canadian PR holder; done all landing formality and got my PR card. Will be living in Canada from next month. I will also be getting married in Dec. My fiancé is an Indian national. How do I go about bringing her to Canada as soon as we get married? Also what about her options to work in Canada.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
apply for visitor visa, if approved (although chances may be very low), so she could travel with you to Canada if possible, while she lives inside Canada, apply for inland spousal sponsorship with open work permit (owp).

After marriage, your wife continues to live in India, apply for outland spousal sponsorship, which tales around 1 year to complete.

Forms and Checklist........Sponsoring your spouse

Instruction Guide

Good Luck

Reactions: Whocares

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
apply for visitor visa, if approved (although chances may be very low), so she could travel with you to Canada if possible, while she lives inside Canada, apply for inland spousal sponsorship with open work permit (owp).

After marriage, your wife continues to live in India, apply for outland spousal sponsorship, which tales around 1 year to complete.

Forms and Checklist........Sponsoring your spouse

Instruction Guide

Good Luck
Thank you. It sure ain't a quick process. I was hoping she could come live with me and then we could work on work permit or PR.

Can she apply independently under express entry (like I did)? It seems that may be quicker and she should have the points. She does not have to list me as dependent in that case, right?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thank you. It sure ain't a quick process. I was hoping she could come live with me and then we could work on work permit or PR.

Can she apply independently under express entry (like I did)? It seems that may be quicker and she should have the points. She does not have to list me as dependent in that case, right?
If she qualifies under some other immigration stream, she can do it on her own.

She can live with you and work, if you apply inland. You would need to get her into the country (it can be difficult to get a TRV for a spouse - it's usually advised to first get a TRV, and then marry in Canada.) Once you're married, you apply for the PR inland and also apply for an open work permit. She'd get the work permit within three to four months, and the residency is at around 12 month average these days.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
How long have you known her?

Just be careful of not declaring her as common law.
I became PR early this year and I got to know her 2 months ago. We have met twice. She does not qualify to be common law; but thank you for bringing that up.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
If she qualifies under some other immigration stream, she can do it on her own.

She can live with you and work, if you apply inland. You would need to get her into the country (it can be difficult to get a TRV for a spouse - it's usually advised to first get a TRV, and then marry in Canada.) Once you're married, you apply for the PR inland and also apply for an open work permit. She'd get the work permit within three to four months, and the residency is at around 12 month average these days.
She can definitely get her tourist visa now. She has traveled a lot over the years so she might just have one. However, how legit is it to come to a country for marriage? Don't get me wrong I just want to be aware. Thanks for your responses.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
She can definitely get her tourist visa now. She has traveled a lot over the years so she might just have one. However, how legit is it to come to a country for marriage? Don't get me wrong I just want to be aware. Thanks for your responses.
If you take a look around the forum, most inland applications are exactly that, my own included. Yes, a portion of inland applications are from people who were already here on a study or work visa, but I'd definitely say the majority are not. People maintain long distance relationship, started either somewhere in person or online, have visits, eventually visit Canada on that one trip during which they will get married and stay to apply inland.

There's a special immigration stream just for it (inland) so that's pretty legitimate. Whatsmore, there's something called dual intent where, when you're entering the country and the officer asks you the purpose of the trip, you tell them you're here to get married and apply inland and they give you certain documentation to help out with the process.

The confusion is understandable since most other countries don't do it this way and saying you're going to a country to get married would actually get you barred from entering, e.g. USA that has fiance visas instead. But this is a legitimate way to enter Canada and apply for permanent residence.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I became PR early this year and I got to know her 2 months ago. We have met twice. She does not qualify to be common law; but thank you for bringing that up.
Wait, two months? Not years? Whoa, that would definitely put any application under intense scrutiny for sure. That's on the extreme end of short relationships. It would probably be better to simply maintain a normal romantic relationship for a while first, both to more easily get the PR and for your own sake - once she gets her PR as your spouse, your three year undertaking starts that doesn't go away even if you separate or divorce.

For a relationship this young, it would probably be best for her to immigrate on her own, given you said she qualifies. No intense scrutiny and you're not putting yourself at risk as a sponsor.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
If you take a look around the forum, most inland applications are exactly that, my own included. Yes, a portion of inland applications are from people who were already here on a study or work visa, but I'd definitely say the majority are not. People maintain long distance relationship, started either somewhere in person or online, have visits, eventually visit Canada on that one trip during which they will get married and stay to apply inland.

There's a special immigration stream just for it (inland) so that's pretty legitimate. Whatsmore, there's something called dual intent where, when you're entering the country and the officer asks you the purpose of the trip, you tell them you're here to get married and apply inland and they give you certain documentation to help out with the process.

The confusion is understandable since most other countries don't do it this way and saying you're going to a country to get married would actually get you barred from entering, e.g. USA that has fiance visas instead. But this is a legitimate way to enter Canada and apply for permanent residence.
I see. Let me do my homework here and read more on this forum. I'll probably have more questions and will get back

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Wait, two months? Not years? Whoa, that would definitely put any application under intense scrutiny for sure. That's on the extreme end of short relationships. It would probably be better to simply maintain a normal romantic relationship for a while first, both to more easily get the PR and for your own sake - once she gets her PR as your spouse, your three year undertaking starts that doesn't go away even if you separate or divorce.

For a relationship this young, it would probably be best for her to immigrate on her own, given you said she qualifies. No intense scrutiny and you're not putting yourself at risk as a sponsor.
It's a little bit more complex than that. It's a old school, where our parents have been friends for quite some time and hooked us up. Kind of odd to share details like this on a forum, but I see your point. Her academic portfolio should be fine to apply herself, but I'm just trying to look into all options.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

she can't include you as a dependent in EE if you are not married or common law.....but if she married before landing as PR, she will have to inform IRCC of change of marital status.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
she can't include you as a dependent in EE if you are not married or common law.....but if she married before landing as PR, she will have to inform IRCC of change of marital status.
Since I'm already a PR, I don't really need to be mentioned as a dependent. However, she probably will need to mention somewhere in the application that she is married (assuming we get married before she files her application) and list me in the application, right?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Since I'm already a PR, I don't really need to be mentioned as a dependent. However, she probably will need to mention somewhere in the application that she is married (assuming we get married before she files her application) and list me in the application, right?
assuming you get married before she files her application for EE, she must include you as her spouse.........assuming you didn't get married before she files her application for EE, she cannot include you as her spouse........she should not include you as her spouse in EE if you are not married......and if after she files her application for EE and later married before she landing as PR, she will have to inform IRCC of change of marital status before landing.

Your other option,,,,,

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/express-entry-expression-of-interest.54/page-586

Good Luck