+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR been out of Canada for over 3 yrs due to pandemic lockdowns

Megabuff

Star Member
Apr 20, 2016
I know of a requrment you have to be 2 yrs in canada during the previous 5 yrs.

I have contacted immigration (phone and email) but no responce!

can anyone tell me where i stand if i go back now?

maybe i will need a ordinary tourist visa?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Legally, you are still a PR. The border officer will allow you to enter Canada but may also report you to IRCC for failing to meet the residency obligation. If the officer reports you, IRCC will summon you for a hearing where then they can officially revoke your PR and tell you to leave. If the officer does not report you, then you need to stay in Canada for 2 years to get back into compliance.

I don't believe PRs were locked out from entering Canada during the pandemic, so I don't believe that is a valid reason for you not being able to fulfill the RO.

You cannot apply for a tourist visa because you still have PR status. If you want to apply for a tourist visa, you need to renounce your PR first.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Reactions: foodie69

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't believe PRs were locked out from entering Canada during the pandemic, so I don't believe that is a valid reason for you not being able to fulfill the RO.
Correct. A PR was always able to enter Canada, even when the border was closed to everyone else.

Megabuff

Star Member
Apr 20, 2016
Correct. A PR was always able to enter Canada, even when the border was closed to everyone else.
[/QU
Legally, you are still a PR. The border officer will allow you to enter Canada but may also report you to IRCC for failing to meet the residency obligation. If the officer reports you, IRCC will summon you for a hearing where then they can officially revoke your PR and tell you to leave. If the officer does not report you, then you need to stay in Canada for 2 years to get back into compliance.

You cannot apply for a tourist visa because you still have PR status. If you want to apply for a tourist visa, you need to renounce your PR first.
Thanks do you know how to check is my PR is still Valid?
after 2 weeks i got an outreply from immigration

Permanent residents of Canada are not eligible for an eTA. They must hold a valid permanent resident (PR) card or must apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) in order to travel to Canada.

Megabuff

Star Member
Apr 20, 2016
There's a sub-forum here mostly about the residency obligation. Some experiences reported there.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/permanent-residency-obligations.11/

No-one can tell you what chances are, will depend somewhat on circumstances. You can certainly explain that pandemic related obstacles were a factor, and you should, but it may not be sufficient without other reasons.

A big difference may also be whether you have a valid PR card or not.
thanks mate yes that is what i would like ot know,

how to determine if my PR card is still valid

Permanent residents of Canada are not eligible for an eTA. They must hold a valid permanent resident (PR) card or must apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) in order to travel to Canada.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
what are you being rude? nothing to do with ignorance you goof, there were no flights in or out of the country i am in.
It's been over a year since they reopen their border to travellers. Pretty sure they have flights in and out before this annoucement.

SYDNEY, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Australia on Monday fully reopened its international borders to travellers vaccinated against the coronavirus after nearly two years of pandemic-related closings as tourists returned and hundreds of people were reunited with family and friends.Feb 20, 2022

Megabuff

Star Member
Apr 20, 2016
Cry me a river..there have been planes flying all the time. Where are you from? Pitcairn Island?
well it is what it is. i just want advise on what to do now, not what i coulda or shoulda done :D
ands that is how can I fing out if my PR card is still valid? pls

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
well it is what it is. i just want advise on what to do now, not what i coulda or shoulda done :D
ands that is how can I fing out if my PR card is still valid? pls
Your card has an expiry date on it, have a look at it. You are correct in what you mentioned above, that a PRTD is required if your card is expired.

Reactions: Megabuff