+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canadian pr and us green card

canadapr79

Nov 20, 2012
Hello, everyone!

I know this topic had been discussed at length here, but I was wondering if anyone as any new insights.

My husband is a Canadian citizen, I have a Canadian PR (sponsored by my husband), which I got in 2011. I had been working in the US all this time and had been going home to Canada on weekends. Last year, we were blessed with a baby (who is both a Canadian and US citizen), and my husband went on parental leave and stayed with us in the US. We still went home to Canada (husband, baby, and I) on weekends. We have a home in Canada, which is empty on weekdays (my in-laws live across the street and they keep an eye on it for us when we're away), which my husband and I purchased together.

My work had sponsored us for a US green card, and now we received the cards. When we cross the border to Canada, do I show both the US green card and the Canadian PR card? Will I have to choose between the two? I would not want to lose the Canadian PR, because I can fulfill the requirements (given that my husband now has legal status in the US, and will be getting a job here). I want to make sure I'm not breaking any laws or misrepresenting myself in either side of the border. :(

We pay taxes in US and Canada.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you enter Canada, you show the Canadian PR card and when you return to the US, you show the US green card. Canada immigration does not need to know that you have a US green card and the US does not need to see your Canadian PR card. There is no law against having both but immigration officers sometimes have a different opinion of that.

canadapr79

Nov 20, 2012
Leon, thank you for your fast reply. I really appreciate it, since from what I've read in the forums, you're one of the people who offer a wealth of very helpful information. :)

I think they will eventually find out (because I will have to tell them) -- because when we drive to the border, and we're asked about my status in the US, I say (truthfully, H1B). If they ask us in future border crossings, I'll have to admit to the green card, right? Also, at some point we will have to import our Canadian-plated car to the US, then we will have to say that we have the green card (since Canadian PR and citizens can't drive a US-plated car), right? Or maybe I'm wrong?

Thank you again, everyone. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, if they specifically ask you, you should tell them :)

However, keep a copy of page 7 from OP 10 with you when you travel, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf because that is the one that says you meet your PR residency requirements as long as you are living with a Canadian spouse outside Canada. Some immigration officers are not aware of this rule.

The rules about not being allowed to drive a car on US plates in Canada if you are a PR are a bit hairy. You are actually not allowed to if you are a PR and are resident in Canada but you are not resident in Canada, you are entering as a visitor. If you find that you have a lot of problems from the Canadian immigration officers after you change your car to US plates, you could just start renting a car for when you visit. You can rent a car on Canadian plates near the US border.

canadapr79

Nov 20, 2012
Thanks again, Leon. :)

I will share my experience with everyone on this thread, so hopefully it will help someone, too.

Thank you!