+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR and Indian International Student?

kabir24

Nov 22, 2017
Hi Guys,

My long-time girlfriend and I have been trying to get married in India for the past 1 year. Since everyone knows about the COVID situation and things getting even crazier in India. We are looking for an alternative way, she is an international student in Canada (Indian Citizen), can we get married/ register marriage here in Canada only?

If, yes can she apply for Spousal PR as an inland applicant? What would happen after her student visa expires can she extends her stay based on our PR application?

Thanks, in advance for any help on this topic!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

My long-time girlfriend and I have been trying to get married in India for the past 1 year. Since everyone knows about the COVID situation and things getting even crazier in India. We are looking for an alternative way, she is an international student in Canada (Indian Citizen), can we get married/ register marriage here in Canada only?

If, yes can she apply for Spousal PR as an inland applicant? What would happen after her student visa expires can she extends her stay based on our PR application?

Thanks, in advance for any help on this topic!
Yes you can get married in Canada. You should apply for Inland sponsorship with an OWP. You’ll need to live together and remain in Canada except some short business trips or short holiday. Her OWP application gives her implied status but if her study permit expires she should apply for PGWP if she wants to work until she gets OWP or switch to visitor status to remain status unless you have received AOR for OWP.