+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR - Alberta program's requirement !!!Urgent!!!

danny456

Jun 17, 2009
Hello,

Currently, Im working on H1B in US and I am planning to apply for Canadian PR through the Alberta program.

I want to know that to complete the requirement for this program, do I have to work in Alberta (i.e, pay taxes to its government for minimum of 2 yrs) or just living there for 2 out of 5 yrs is sufficient?

Is it possible that I work for a US company remotely from Canada for those 2yrs? And, just pay taxes to the US government. or Do I have to find a job in Alberta?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!!

F

feras80

They have this program to get people to work in alberta, not to live there and work remotly for the US

danny456 said:
Hello,

Currently, Im working on H1B in US and I am planning to apply for Canadian PR through the Alberta program.

I want to know that to complete the requirement for this program, do I have to work in Alberta (i.e, pay taxes to its government for minimum of 2 yrs) or just living there for 2 out of 5 yrs is sufficient?

Is it possible that I work for a US company remotely from Canada for those 2yrs? And, just pay taxes to the US government. or Do I have to find a job in Alberta?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not aware of any rules that say you have to work in AB. You have to live in AB at least for a while but if you want to move somewhere else in Canada later, that would be ok too. You need to live in Canada 2 years in any 5 year period to keep a Canadian PR. If you want to continue working in the US remotely or by commuting, that is ok, as long as you fulfill your 2 in 5 years or 730 days in 5 years, whatever. I do not think you can just pay taxes to the US though. I believe that as a resident of Canada, you also need to file taxes in Canada listing "foreign" income. US and Canada have a tax treaty so you wouldn't be double taxed.

at-80

Star Member
May 24, 2009
I believe that Canada has a catchup tax provision. Wherein if for your salary, US tax is 30% and Canada's tax is 33%, then after paying 30% to US government, you have to pay 3% to Canada govt. I am not sure of the exact tax clause / tax provisions but as the above thread mentions, due to NAFTA there is no double taxation.

Please advise us also about what you find. Thanks.