+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Police Certificate Confusion

asur90

Jun 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

So my case is the next, I'm applying for a Common-Law Sponsorship Inland through my Canadian partner, I'm Spanish and I got my police certificate from Spain, translated and ready. My confusion comes when on the checklist states that I need police certificates from:

- The country where I currently live (Canada), If I have lived here for six months or more. (Is it last six months?)
I have lived in Canada for more than six months but, I lived here for 3 and 1/2 years, then moved to NZ for the last year and now I'm back here in Canada but I have only been here for the last month.

And then there's a different section for Canadian Police Certificates:

- If I have lived in Canada for the last six months (NO) or Canada is the country where I have lived for most of my life since I was 18 (NO), police certificates for Canada are not required at this point. IRCC will make a request on my behalf. Click here if this applies to me.

So this doesn't apply to me, but why do specify on this section that is for the last six months?

Do I need them?

Thank you,

Aitor

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi everyone,

So my case is the next, I'm applying for a Common-Law Sponsorship Inland through my Canadian partner, I'm Spanish and I got my police certificate from Spain, translated and ready. My confusion comes when on the checklist states that I need police certificates from:

- The country where I currently live (Canada), If I have lived here for six months or more. (Is it last six months?)
I have lived in Canada for more than six months but, I lived here for 3 and 1/2 years, then moved to NZ for the last year and now I'm back here in Canada but I have only been here for the last month.

And then there's a different section for Canadian Police Certificates:

- If I have lived in Canada for the last six months (NO) or Canada is the country where I have lived for most of my life since I was 18 (NO), police certificates for Canada are not required at this point. IRCC will make a request on my behalf. Click here if this applies to me.

So this doesn't apply to me, but why do specify on this section that is for the last six months?

Do I need them?

Thank you,

Aitor
You only need to provide a Canadian check if they specifically ask for it.