+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Permanent Status - After almost 25 Years

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by Abdullah Zaffar, May 31, 2018.

  1. Hi,
    I was a Canadian Landed Immigrant in 1980's, I completed all my citizenship requirement but had to go back to my Country Pakistan because of some personal issues. I left Canada in 1993, at that time i had a status of Landed Immigrant. I have all my documents available with me. My two kids are also born in Canada and are currently residing there. I haven't visited since 93'. Can someone guide me if i can reinstate my Landed Immigrant status or not, and if not what will be the best course of action for me. If there is any procedure or guide that can help then kindly let me know. Thanks.
  2. Your status has not been lost, but it is compromised. Realistically you only have one option. Cross the land border from the USA and hope that you are not reported for failing to comply with the Residency Obligation requirements. Stay for over 730 continuous days and then apply for a PR card renewal. This topic has been conclusively discussed previously in this forum, so I will not restate it all.
  3. Just to add, the only way you could get into Canada at a land border is to state you were a PR (since you can't apply for a visa). Once you tell CBSA you've been outside Canada for past 25 years, I can't imagine a scenario where they would simply let you in without reporting you and starting process to terminate your PR status.

    You can choose to appeal the termination of status, however again with 25 years absence it would be a slim to none chance to win.
    Buletruck likes this.
  4. Thank you so much for your responses. What about getting Permanent Resident Travel Document based on Humanitarian grounds, since i originally left Canada and my Family their to live with my Parents who were getting old and needed me there. My Mother passed away couple of years ago and now i want to be with my kids again. Also, to add i have Canadian Education and used to work in British Columbia Courts as an interpreter prior to my return. I have all my landing papers and documents available. What should be the best course of action for me? Should i apply for a visit visa, go there and apply for PR? Should i start the PR process from scratch, Or submit application for PR Travel Document. When i left i had completed all my Citizenship requirements but failed to apply since i was short on time.
  5. The "official" answer is, of course, apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. The probability of a successful application even based on H&C grounds is, I suspect, low. The fact that you have not even visited for 25 years sends a very negative message regarding your continued links to Canada. Good luck.
  6. In my opinion this is hardly an excuse to claim 25 years outside Canada.

    You can certainly apply for PR TD on H&C grounds, but I think there's a slim to none chance it will be approved so would prepare for likely scenario it will be rejected and your PR status officially terminated. Of course you can always apply and hope for the best.
  7. Hi Guys, Thank you for your Valuable feedback. I was doing some research on cic website and had few questions.
    1. If i apply for Super Visa, i have two kids in Vancouver earning pretty well who can sponsor me. Go on Super Visa, stay for Two years and apply for a PR.
    2. Ask my kid's to sponsor me and apply for a PR from scratch. and lastly,
    3. Apply for PR TD. on H&C and hope they allow me to travel.

    Which of these options will be most suitable for me according to you. How much total time it will take, are these feasible options. Please kindly let me know. Thanks.
  8. 1) if you are a PR, you can't get ANY form of visa. You will need to formally renounce PR status or lose it due to a failed PRTD application. The two years does not apply to this scenario.
    2) assuming that you lose PR status, this might be a valid option.
    3) yes.
  9. Anyone been successful doing the above?

Share This Page