+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Permanent Residents - Travel to United States of America (Tourism Visa - B2 / NEXUS / Citizenship)

Noorulabdeen

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London, Uk
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-07-2023
AOR Received.
27-09-2023
Med's Request
11-12-2023
Med's Done....
26-12-2023
Passport Req..
17-05-2024
From what I've read and gathered.

There appears to be no exception for Canadian Permanent Residents looking to travel to the United States for tourism purposes. They are required to apply for a visitor's visa. At present the wait time for an interview is around 913 days which is roughly 2.5 years or so. (this is of course, for countries which are not on the ESTA or visa exemption list of the U.S.A).

However, Canadian Permanent Residents become eligible to apply for a NEXUS card after 3 years of residence in Canada. The wait time to obtain a NEXUS card is about 16-18 months.

The timeline to be eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship is after 1095 days or 3 years of residence within Canada. Current processing time is listed at 8 months.

So it appears to make sense to at least apply for a US B2 Tourist visa - as the possibility of obtaining it the soonest amongst the 3 available options. Then perhaps applying for a NEXUS card - as the Canadian passport can be added to it at a later time and the card would remain valid for 5 years anyway.

Finally applying for Canadian Citizenship - as that would grant all the privileges of being a Canadian when traveling as well.

I suppose travelling to the United States for a Canadian Permanent Resident would be possible around after 4 years of becoming a PR. (For those with passports from countries who require a visa).

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
From what I've read and gathered.

There appears to be no exception for Canadian Permanent Residents looking to travel to the United States for tourism purposes. They are required to apply for a visitor's visa. At present the wait time for an interview is around 913 days which is roughly 2.5 years or so. (this is of course, for countries which are not on the ESTA or visa exemption list of the U.S.A).

However, Canadian Permanent Residents become eligible to apply for a NEXUS card after 3 years of residence in Canada. The wait time to obtain a NEXUS card is about 16-18 months.

The timeline to be eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship is after 1095 days or 3 years of residence within Canada. Current processing time is listed at 8 months.

So it appears to make sense to at least apply for a US B2 Tourist visa - as the possibility of obtaining it the soonest amongst the 3 available options. Then perhaps applying for a NEXUS card - as the Canadian passport can be added to it at a later time and the card would remain valid for 5 years anyway.

Finally applying for Canadian Citizenship - as that would grant all the privileges of being a Canadian when traveling as well.

I suppose travelling to the United States for a Canadian Permanent Resident would be possible around after 4 years of becoming a PR. (For those with passports from countries who require a visa).
The Americans have ALWAYS required non ESTA countries to get a visitor visa . Even if they have had PR

There country , there rules

Reactions: Noorulabdeen

Noorulabdeen

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London, Uk
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-07-2023
AOR Received.
27-09-2023
Med's Request
11-12-2023
Med's Done....
26-12-2023
Passport Req..
17-05-2024
Of course.

I, a Canadian born citizen, was just trying to gauge how long until my PR wife would be able to travel with me.