+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Permanent Resident/US Citizen, Bring a US leased Car to Canada?

besb1016

Jan 13, 2022
Hi all,

I am looking for some insight. I have looked everywhere online and called the border, but have gotten nowhere!

I live in a cross-border city (Windsor/Detroit), and I recently moved to Canada last year through spousal sponsorship. I am currently a Canadian Permanent Resident (will be applying for citizenship after 5 years) and I am a US citizen.

I really want to be able to lease a car from the US because they are so much cheaper. I know it can be done, because I have seen Canadians driving US plated vehicles all over the city.

I know I would need a letter from the leasing company to approve my living accommodations in Canada (this will not be a problem). But, do I have to import the vehicle? I legally only hold one drivers license (Canadian), as it is illegal to have 2, but I still have my US address, as my family still lives there.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I am looking for some insight. I have looked everywhere online and called the border, but have gotten nowhere!

I live in a cross-border city (Windsor/Detroit), and I recently moved to Canada last year through spousal sponsorship. I am currently a Canadian Permanent Resident (will be applying for citizenship after 5 years) and I am a US citizen.

I really want to be able to lease a car from the US because they are so much cheaper. I know it can be done, because I have seen Canadians driving US plated vehicles all over the city.

I know I would need a letter from the leasing company to approve my living accommodations in Canada (this will not be a problem). But, do I have to import the vehicle? I legally only hold one drivers license (Canadian), as it is illegal to have 2, but I still have my US address, as my family still lives there.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
The US plated cars you are seeing are probably visitors to Canada or people who have recently imported their cars which they own (not lease) and have yet to convert the plates (or maybe illegal drivers?).

Yes, you'll need to import the vehicle to be able to drive it legally in Canada since you will be living here. The company that leases your vehicle will almost certainly not allow that and not provide you with the paperwork to allow you to import the vehicle. When this question is asked on the forum, the standard response is to either pay off the lease or get out of the lease (i.e. transfer it to someone else) since importing a US-leased vehicle into Canada won't be possible.

Kimbear

Star Member
Aug 25, 2021
you have to export your car on the US side first then import it. Most of us with us plates still is because they are visitors or waiting for PR and can't import the car. You can be here 12 months without changing yoru plates. as long as you keep US license registration and insurance.

you have to have a CLEAR paid off title with a letter saying NO lien on the car in order to import it as well.

Dec 9, 2022
At the expense of glass on turns here 50/50 there are red and yellow. It is necessary to take from the central regions of Canada. There is no salt pouring into the winter and the car does not rust into shit. And in Canada, you will not sell the helmeter here and is forbidden in the United States. Usually.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
At the expense of glass on turns here 50/50 there are red and yellow. It is necessary to take from the central regions of Canada. There is no salt pouring into the winter and the car does not rust into shit. And in Canada, you will not sell the helmeter here and is forbidden in the United States. Usually.
What in god’s name are you talking about ?