+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian passport with given name "XXX", will OCI have "XXX" too ?

rockwidme

Oct 6, 2016
So what Happend to your OCI process ?
Did they asked you to submit the Affidavit or accepted it without any issue ?

Thanks in advance
heyy..I am in the same boat and have to submit an Affidavit. Does anyone have a sample of Affidavit that I get notarised?

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
OCI will be made upon the basis of your CDN passport because it needs to match since your CDN passport is your travel document not OCI. Hence, it needs to match.

You will need to get a provincial name change done --> get a new citizenship certificate from IRCC --> update your passport --> update OCI.

I applied for a name change in my citizenship application where I split my name and it was approved. It made my application non-routine which took it forever to process but got resolved. The wait was brutal though.

Reactions: visa_4all

ryanshan123

Dec 20, 2019
Dear All,

I got my Canadian passport recently. They have issued my name as below :

Given Name: XXX; Surname: <Given Name as per Indian passport>

Instead of leaving the Given Name as blank they have put "XXX"

I need to apply for OCI card and i was told that i need to update the fields as per Canadian passport.

So will my OCI card have my Given Name as XXX ? Is it better to do a legal name change before applying for OCI ? Is it worth the wait ? I don't want my OCI to reflect XXX... Kindly advise.

Thanks a lot !
Dear All,

I got my Canadian passport recently. They have issued my name as below :

Given Name: XXX; Surname: <Given Name as per Indian passport>

Instead of leaving the Given Name as blank they have put "XXX"

I need to apply for OCI card and i was told that i need to update the fields as per Canadian passport.

So will my OCI card have my Given Name as XXX ? Is it better to do a legal name change before applying for OCI ? Is it worth the wait ? I don't want my OCI to reflect XXX... Kindly advise.

Thanks a lot !
Hi Toro_123,

Did you get your OCI? Could you please tell me how did you find solution for this as I am in the same boat.

Thanks a lot!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
The problem is IRCC demand a surname which many (particularly South) Indians don’t have. One of the favourite ways to handle this is moving both names into the surname field and leaving the first blank at the PR stage.

The most common step the Indian consulate makes is to split the two first names. At which point one generally has to get a legal name change document done and match up all their other docs.

If it’s being done after Citizenship the process above is required which will add yet more time. And of course if it’s done before it has to be detailed in the original application.

I don’t get why IRCC hadn’t got a better process. It’s not like there’s only a few Indians doing this. I guess it’s no real emphasis to change though it’s make many people’s lives easier.

Reactions: visa_4all

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

The problem is IRCC demand a surname which many (particularly South) Indians don’t have. One of the favourite ways to handle this is moving both names into the surname field and leaving the first blank at the PR stage.

The most common step the Indian consulate makes is to split the two first names. At which point one generally has to get a legal name change document done and match up all their other docs.

If it’s being done after Citizenship the process above is required which will add yet more time. And of course if it’s done before it has to be detailed in the original application.

I don’t get why IRCC hadn’t got a better process. It’s not like there’s only a few Indians doing this. I guess it’s no real emphasis to change though it’s make many people’s lives easier.
1. And what would you suggest? You realize that there are other nationalities that only have one name, and they have to be accommodated as well. Most if not all Immigration search engines search on the surname field, so if it was blank, it would never return a result. Another example if all Sikh surnames were either Singh or Kaur, you would never be able identify who was being searched.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi

1. And what would you suggest? You realize that there are other nationalities that only have one name, and they have to be accommodated as well. Most if not all Immigration search engines search on the surname field, so if it was blank, it would never return a result. Another example if all Sikh surnames were either Singh or Kaur, you would never be able identify who was being searched.
I’d suggest that the IRCC accept just a first name (one or two!) without a surname as per many other nationalities (Icelandic for example too) To avoid thousands of people having to legally amend their name!

I mean it works in other countries... But hey not going to happen so just add it to the list of required steps for now.

zb134

Oct 20, 2010
Can anybody with this issue please post an update? Are they (BLS/India) accepting with First Name: XXX on Canadian passport? Is it really necessary to go for a name change?

abdul538

Mar 26, 2015
OCI will be made upon the basis of your CDN passport because it needs to match since your CDN passport is your travel document not OCI. Hence, it needs to match.

You will need to get a provincial name change done --> get a new citizenship certificate from IRCC --> update your passport --> update OCI.

I applied for a name change in my citizenship application where I split my name and it was approved. It made my application non-routine which took it forever to process but got resolved. The wait was brutal though.
How much time it took for you...i am in the same boat as you.change my name and applied for citizenship its taking hell of a time...

pk910

Star Member
Jun 1, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
15-06-2017
Nomination.....
02-04-2017
Passport Req..
03-01-2018
Does everyone need to get name changed with only one name in canadian passport for oci?

Reactions: maplecan20

maplecan20

Sep 26, 2021
Yes, I’m on the same boat. I have Canadian passport with one name (xxx in first name) and also got the provincial name change done but not yet reflected Canadian Passport.
For OCI, I may have to go with ÇA passport name. But for passport surrender form, is the “given name” based on Indian passport or Canadian passport?

sanjayit81

Star Member
Aug 12, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
AOR Received.
20-08-2014
Med's Request
05-03-2015
Med's Done....
16-03-2015
Passport Req..
22-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2015
LANDED..........
22-06-2015
Yes, I’m on the same boat. I have Canadian passport with one name (xxx in first name) and also got the provincial name change done but not yet reflected Canadian Passport.
For OCI, I may have to go with ÇA passport name. But for passport surrender form, is the “given name” based on Indian passport or Canadian passport?
Hi, I have same issue and was just reading legal name change process.
Have you submitted application by mail or In person? It's mentioned to sign form in front of one of designated persons mentioned in list. How long it took get it done. Any help with this much appreciated

pampal

Dec 19, 2016
hello everyone,
While I do see many folks have shared same concerns and queries about having first name as "XXX" in the Canadian Passport and whether name change is suggested before applying for OCI, I didnt actually see if anyone actually went through this process and got it done.

I am in the same boat and need right guidande. If anyone has gone about the process of getting name change done, changed citizenship certificate, got new passport etc and then applied for OCI?

Reactions: mumbaikar

mumbaikar

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Hi, Did you resolve the issue?