+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian passport with given name "XXX", will OCI have "XXX" too ?

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

I got my Canadian passport recently. They have issued my name as below :

Given Name: XXX; Surname: <Given Name as per Indian passport>

Instead of leaving the Given Name as blank they have put "XXX"

I need to apply for OCI card and i was told that i need to update the fields as per Canadian passport.

So will my OCI card have my Given Name as XXX ? Is it better to do a legal name change before applying for OCI ? Is it worth the wait ? I don't want my OCI to reflect XXX... Kindly advise.

Thanks a lot !
WHAT? IS IT A JOKE? I can't believe this XXX.

So careless. It is not their document.

Try with legal name change.

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OCI will be made upon the basis of your CDN passport because it needs to match since your CDN passport is your travel document not OCI. Hence, it needs to match.

You will need to get a provincial name change done --> get a new citizenship certificate from IRCC --> update your passport --> update OCI.

I applied for a name change in my citizenship application where I split my name and it was approved. It made my application non-routine which took it forever to process but got resolved. The wait was brutal though.
@dbss

Wow, you are a star.

How did you do it.

Did you send the certificate by mail or handed it over to IRCC in person.

How much time it took for you. And did they ask for fingerprints?

Send me the link, please.

What things they asked with the application. Did they ask any other things.

Did you apply for a Passport before or after correction?

Thanks

Last edited:

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The problem is IRCC demand a surname which many (particularly South) Indians don’t have. One of the favourite ways to handle this is moving both names into the surname field and leaving the first blank at the PR stage.

The most common step the Indian consulate makes is to split the two first names. At which point one generally has to get a legal name change document done and match up all their other docs.

If it’s being done after Citizenship the process above is required which will add yet more time. And of course if it’s done before it has to be detailed in the original application.

It has been detailed in the original application and given all the proofs. IRCC did not change even with proofs for 2 times. I dont know what they want. They just did not change.
I don’t get why IRCC hadn’t got a better process. It’s not like there’s only a few Indians doing this. I guess it’s no real emphasis to change though it’s make many people’s lives easier.

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A point here that is probably VERY important for many here - the point I bolded up above is wrong.

You do NOT need to update your citizenship certificate to change your name in your passport. This is a big deal because you can replace your passport relatively quickly, while changing your citizenship certificate may take quite a long time.*

Documentation is here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

You only need eg the legal name change document issued by the province to show that you changed your name. That's enough to request a new passport be issued under the new name.

*The fact is, you don't really need to every change the citizenship certificate, but you can if you want to. In almost very instance that will matter in Canada, you can show your passport (new one) with new name to prove you're you and you're a citizen. In the other cases the original citizenship certificate, change of name legal docs, and probably any other identification with a picture (ideally with new name), and that should be enough to convince any institution that you are you, that you have citizenship, and your name is now [new name.]

Note, when I say 'almost every instance', I can't really think of any where that wouldn't be enough.

Sure, change your name in your citizenship certificate if you like - take your time. But no need to wait for that to update your passport.
1000 likes

Forget about what name you have on citi
I gone through that alot and then changed my Name (In two parts), Applied for new certificate , and then applied again passport , total process took alot of time

good luck sir :)
How much time it take for you to get a corrected citizenship certificate.

How much time for passport. How did you apply for passport. via mail /in-person

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As per canadian Passport rule if person do not have first or last name it need to fill with XXX
It's Rule
What if we have a name change certificate with new name, And all the provincial IDs with new name. Will they give PP with new name.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
What if we have a name change certificate with new name, And all the provincial IDs with new name. Will they give PP with new name.
I am not sure about that ,
One thing I know after getting citizenship once you go for CA PP , They check citizenship certificate and the name which you want in PP must match with Certificate name .

PS: My situation was not same so can't assure you 100%

Good Luck

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
1000 likes

Forget about what name you have on citi

How much time it take for you to get a corrected citizenship certificate.

How much time for passport. How did you apply for passport. via mail /in-person

1- Citizenship Certificate Processing time vary time to time, at that time it took approx. 3 month to get nw certificate. If you have some emergency IRCC consider that also.
2- Passport took 8 days , (but my case was before covid now waiting time is 6 week)
3- You need to submit Old certificate along with the application form (Via mail)

Good Luck

Reactions: visa_4all

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
I did. Don't see that it helped to add "I don't know".

Because in fact we do know, the info you shared was incorrect.
Some one Quoted me and asked some Query , what you expect?
I shared info based on my scenario , and mentioned my situation was not same so can't confirm
Where I said what I said is correct as OP situation is different than mine ,

Get a life man

Last edited:

visa_4all

Jul 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The IRCC at oath told that after receiving the certificates check both sides of the certificate for any errors.

If there is any errors contact them immediately. I have sent them mail, but no reply. what to do now?

Thanks