+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian passport with given name "XXX", will OCI have "XXX" too ?

harneetk

Sep 11, 2014
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Hi guys. Need your help please.
New Canadian passports allow first name to be blank and last name is ‘ghkn’
How do I apply OCI. Should I put xxx as first name? But my Canadian Passport has it blank.

please advise if anyone has been in the same boat
Following

preet1911

Jun 30, 2015
I am surprised reading this thread. My father in law got Canadian Citizenship
where

OLD INDIAN PASSPORT
FAMILY NAME :
GIVEN NAME : Real Name

NEW CANADA PASSPORT
FAMILY NAME : Real Name
GIVEN NAME : XXX

INDIAN OCI CARD
FAMILY NAME : Real Name
GIVEN NAME : XXX

While applying OCI, BLS processed it and no name change certificate, or any other documents was asked.
Same, i got my Indian visa in February 2022
given name :xxx
Family name:real name

Robin1812

Feb 11, 2019
May not be the correct forum but can someone help me with tracking my canadian passport with only my surname? I have the file number but without the given name it won't let me check. I tried putting the full name for both the given and last name but it still shows me an error. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
May not be the correct forum but can someone help me with tracking my passport with only my surname? I have the file number but without the given name it won't let me check. I tried putting the full name for both the given and last name but it still shows me an error. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
are you trying to check on the BLS (https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/track-application.php) or the Passport Seva website (https://portal3.passportindia.gov.in/Online/index.html) ?

dober

May 23, 2016
Folks,
This post is relevant to those who have only one name and are wondering what they can do when they're told that their Canadian passports MUST have "XXX" as their given name. There is a solution - Given Name doesn't need to be "XXX". It can be blank. I have personal experience and found a solution. Please look at my post here, https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/canadian-passport-with-given-name-xxx-will-oci-have-xxx-too.577167/post-10560593

Why is this important - because some airlines and embassies when issuing visas will actually think that your Given Name is "XXX" and not interpret it as blank and a lot of other issues too. So, avoid having "XXX" on your passport.

Last edited:

rswamina

Feb 16, 2016
Hello All,

My Indian passport did not have a surname. There my given name was Rahul Khanna and surname was blank. In the Canadian passport my given name is XXX and surname Rahul Khanna. I had to travel to India on a visitor visa where the name was as per my Canadian passport and did not have any issues travelling. My question regarding OCI is:

1. My name in OCI will be as per my Canadian passport from what I have read in this thread. Can someone confirm if I will need an affidavit for the same or not?
2. Will there be any issues in terms of legal documentation, banks etc. back in India since my name there is Rahul Khanna and my Canadian passport and OCI name is XXX Rahul Khanna?

Thanks in advance.

Harleen12

Jun 15, 2017
Hello All,

My Indian passport did not have a surname. There my given name was Rahul Khanna and surname was blank. In the Canadian passport my given name is XXX and surname Rahul Khanna. I had to travel to India on a visitor visa where the name was as per my Canadian passport and did not have any issues travelling. My question regarding OCI is:

1. My name in OCI will be as per my Canadian passport from what I have read in this thread. Can someone confirm if I will need an affidavit for the same or not?
2. Will there be any issues in terms of legal documentation, banks etc. back in India since my name there is Rahul Khanna and my Canadian passport and OCI name is XXX Rahul Khanna?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, did you had any issues with xxx on your passport?

Bunny2590

Aug 10, 2023
Hi all! My wife doesn't have a surname as well in her Indian passport. On her citizenship certificate, it puts her first name (say Jane) in surname field and given name is blank.

Her passport has XXX in Given Name and Jane in surname.

We do not have any plans to change names right now as we have a trip to India upcoming in early December. So, what documents would she need for surrender certificate and OCI? We are okay with her given name being XXX on OCI as well for now. We can let the airlines know of this when we travel.

I am on the same boat can you please tell me how you get the things done will very helpful