+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport Place of Birth

JoshW

Nov 4, 2014
Hi,

I am a Taiwanese immigrant, and I am planning on applying for a Canadian passport. I heard that Taiwanese immigrant in the U.S. have the right to request his/her passport to be issued listing China as place of birth (according to U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual.)

The information I mentioned could be found in page 9 section G of the following document:

www(dot)state.gov/documents/organization/94675.pdf

I wonder if I have the right to request the same here in Canada?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
JoshW said:
Hi,

I am a Taiwanese immigrant, and I am planning on applying for a Canadian passport. I heard that Taiwanese immigrant in the U.S. have the right to request his/her passport to be issued listing China as place of birth (according to U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual.)

The information I mentioned could be found in page 9 section G of the following document:

I don't see why "China" wouldn't be ok since the name of the country is the "Republic of China". That being said, I know nothing...

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoshW said:
Hi,

you have to mention your place of birth and not country of birth, i mean if your place of birth for instance is montreal, you have to mentioned montreal and not canada. You see Taiwan is a country so where exactly in Taiwan did you born?

coolifrs

Star Member
Sep 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please see this article: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2003/07/20/2003060132

I was born in Taiwan. When I get my passport I will let you know what it says as place of birth.

yafayu

May 8, 2011
I'm a Taiwanese living in Toronto, and i got my passport March 2014. When i went to passport office in downtown Toronto i was trying to ask the lady to put China as my birth place so i can avoid military service in Taiwan( if this is what you trying to do :) )....she refused to do so and she told me she can only put down whatever it says on my PR. But i do know a friend from Winnipeg who is also a Taiwanese but have his Canadian passport having China as place of birth. (but i think people in smaller city do not know difference between Taiwan and China)

Another thing you should know is, the lady from passport office told me that they don't recommend put any Taiwanese city name on your Canadian passport. Because Chinese embassy will denied your visa due to they don't accept Taiwan as a country :'( Which my passport place of birth says just "Taiwan"

JoshW said:
Hi,

JoshW

Nov 4, 2014
The city I was born is called Taoyuan. There are actually several Taoyuan's in China as well.

However, my country of birth has always been listed as Taiwan since my PR stage and onward. Even at my citizenship interview, the officer said she couldn't change anything on my profile at that stage.

I am from BC, but I am not sure if the passport officers here are as gullible as the Winnipeg ones...

zwho

Jul 31, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is always tricky for those who come from Taiwan, Israel or Palestine.
To be short, I think you do. Obviously Canadian passport lists both city and 3 letter country code whereas US passport only goes with country name.
Upon request you can list China along with your hometown if that is what you want. My friend who comes from Taipei put her place of birth as Taipei, China in her Canadian passport. Ask your passport office!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Look at the Instructions, section H of the passport application. It says:
http://passport.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc153.pdf

Place of birth
Your place of birth must be provided on the application form. If you do not wish the place of birth to appear in the passport, submit form PPTC 077, Request for a Canadian passport without a place of birth, available online at passportcanada.gc.ca.

Here is form PPTC 007: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc077-eng.pdf

Be sure to read it properly and think about any potential issues that could arise from not having your place on birth on the passport, then make a decision that works best for you. Good luck!