Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-08-2015
Passport Req..
15-01-2016
I have sent my application via canadapost expresspost to the passport program with Gatineau, QC address, and it got delivered at

OTTAWA, ONDelivered to mailroom

Is this abnormal ?

munderdifflin

Mar 1, 2022
Update: CC charged
Application sent: Feb 7
Application reached: Feb 9
CC charged: March 9
Passport received: God knows

Finally, after 30 days since the application reached them, I got my credit card charged for me and my son.
Outrageously slow and ineffective. (20 business days processing time is an absolute bull crap) With that speed I assume it will take another couple of weeks to get the passport.
One thing noticed: Application was sent to Gatineau, but CC charge shows "Passport, Whitby". Why in the world it would end up there? I live in North York (Toronto). I assume this is an another example of their total disorganization, stupidity and waste of resources and our time. Damn it.
Hi there. Same with me. Application sent to Gatineau but CC charge was of North York. My passport and citizenship certificate were mailed from North York as well. (I live in the Prairies) I was told that if the workload at Gatineau is high, they transfer some files to other offices to share the workload. 20 biz days is so not true for a lot of people. They should remove that from their website to not mislead people lol. Glad that your CC was charged finally. Hope you get it soon!!

Reactions: CaBeaver and tgman

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there. Same with me. Application sent to Gatineau but CC charge was of North York. My passport and citizenship certificate were mailed from North York as well. (I live in the Prairies) I was told that if the workload at Gatineau is high, they transfer some files to other offices to share the workload. 20 biz days is so not true for a lot of people. They should remove that from their website to not mislead people lol. Glad that your CC was charged finally. Hope you get it soon!!
Thanks a lot for sharing! Exactly, they should stop lying to people and cut the crap blaming covid for everything. Can I ask how long after cc was charged were your docs mailed? Thanks.

munderdifflin

Mar 1, 2022
Thanks a lot for sharing! Exactly, they should stop lying to people and cut the crap blaming covid for everything. Can I ask how long after cc was charged were your docs mailed? Thanks.
I second that man. Sure.

CC was charged March 2, 2022
Passport was issued March 3, 2022
When I called them on March 3, they only gave me the tracking # for the citizenship certificate and said that the passport was sent for processing or something and no tracking # is available. When I called them, it was close to the end of business day so I wonder how there was apparently no tracking for my passport when I called but it was printed the very same day? Lol. Anyway. I probably got too lucky considering that some people are waiting for long even after the CC charge. I got my documents back on March 7. All in all, one week since the CC was charged.

Another thing to note. Although the chances are minimal that it will happen with you. They manually write the address on the envelope that includes your citizenship certificate.The handwriting on mine was bad but legible. My friend's child's birth certificate was delayed by a couple days because Canada Post couldn't read the handwriting on the return envelope for the birth certificate. SMH. In case that happens, you can contact Canada Post to confirm your address and they deliver it to you the next day. The passport envelope has your address on a printed label though. It's just the citizenship certificate. Maybe it's just the North York office. Who knows

I strongly recommend obtaining the file number and any tracking number(s) from them via their phone lines.

Reactions: tgman

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I second that man. Sure.

When I called them on March 3, they only gave me the tracking # for the citizenship certificate and said that the passport was sent for processing or something and no tracking # is available. When I called them, it was close to the end of business day so I wonder how there was apparently no tracking for my passport when I called but it was printed the very same day? Lol. Anyway. I probably got too lucky considering that some people are waiting for long even after the CC charge. I got my documents back on March 7. All in all, one week since the CC was charged.

Another thing to note. Although the chances are minimal that it will happen with you. They manually write the address on the envelope that includes your citizenship certificate.The handwriting on mine was bad but legible. My friend's child's birth certificate was delayed by a couple days because Canada Post couldn't read the handwriting on the return envelope for the birth certificate. SMH. In case that happens, you can contact Canada Post to confirm your address and they deliver it to you the next day. The passport envelope has your address on a printed label though. It's just the citizenship certificate. Maybe it's just the North York office. Who knows

I strongly recommend obtaining the file number and any tracking number(s) from them via their phone lines.
Thank you so much for such a detailed description. It's really useful. I will call them tomorrow. Cheers!

Reactions: munderdifflin

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I second that man. Sure.

Canada post should enter the destination address on pick up to the system, I think. They should clarify any confusion when they pick up the envelopes. I am trying to avoid calling them because all I have is 150 minutes on my phone plan, and 1.5 hours would clear my monthly minutes. Not to mention the wait itself is excruciating. I had bad experience with other government agencies when I moved apartments. The never-ending wait was a nightmare. I hope what you mentioned is not the norm. Passports seem to be delivered in a more reliable way, but citizenship certificates are also important

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
Update: CC charged
Application sent: Feb 7
Application reached: Feb 9
CC charged: March 9
Passport received: God knows

Finally, after 30 days since the application reached them, I got my credit card charged for me and my son.
Outrageously slow and ineffective. (20 business days processing time is an absolute bull crap) With that speed I assume it will take another couple of weeks to get the passport.
One thing noticed: Application was sent to Gatineau, but CC charge shows "Passport, Whitby". Why in the world it would end up there? I live in North York (Toronto). I assume this is an another example of their total disorganization, stupidity and waste of resources and our time. Damn it.
Watch your language. Based on what you say the process seems to be going smoothly for you, yet you still feel the need to insult and be outraged

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
Canada post should enter the destination address on pick up to the system, I think. They should clarify any confusion when they pick up the envelopes. I am trying to avoid calling them because all I have is 150 minutes on my phone plan, and 1.5 hours would clear my monthly minutes. Not to mention the wait itself is excruciating. I had bad experience with other government agencies when I moved apartments. The never-ending wait was a nightmare. I hope what you mentioned is not the norm. Passports seem to be delivered in a more reliable way, but citizenship certificates are also important
perhaps if people didn't keep calling them unnecessarily, those who actually need to contact the passport office wouldn't have to wait on hold for so long

Reactions: CaBeaver

munderdifflin

Mar 1, 2022
Agreed. And kids born here send their birth certificates which is one of the most important identity documents. My friend's child's certificate made it to Winnipeg no problem. But seems like the street number and/or the postal code were hard to interpret. So it was somewhere in Winnipeg's no man's land. Regardless he talked to Canada Post and they were swift in delivering it the next day itself.
Sorry I could be wrong but the number is toll free so shouldnt count towards your minutes? Of course you'd know better and probably know it already if that were the case :)

munderdifflin

Mar 1, 2022
perhaps if people didn't keep calling them unnecessarily, those who actually need to contact the passport office wouldn't have to wait on hold for so long
You have a point. I was connected to Passport folks in an hour and 15 or so. Which is still a steal compared to trying to reach CRA or something lol. Especially during child benefit payments. Easily 2+ hours on a good day :p

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Watch your language. Based on what you say the process seems to be going smoothly for you, yet you still feel the need to insult and be outraged
You don't tell me what to do. Mind your own business and keep your condescending tone to yourself. I express my point of view in the way I consider it appropriate. I insulted nobody.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I guess this is true. If people have no travel plans, and things are moving within a reasonable timeframe (e.g., CC charge within 2-3 weeks), they should use the status update option if necessary. But I guess the phone problem is a government issue. All government agencies have long waiting times. I don't thing people would call CRA if it's not important, yet as mentioned you would need to wait for a long time to get through. Also, I think during the pandemic, in-mail passports was the main method of applying, and created a huge delay on the delivery centers, and as a result on the call centers because it takes longer to process them than in-person option. In in-person they would tell you when to pickup your passport, so, there is more certainty than in-mail, where things are less certain