20-10-2016
Passport Req..
12 Apr 2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-Apr-2017

marika89

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
Hi all, I don't remember seeing an answer to my question before. After you receive the citizenship certificate and prepare to apply for your first Canadian passport, can you apply the passport outside of Canada? From embassy?
Or does it require in person or mail the application inside canada because it's the first time you apply it?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi all, I don't remember seeing an answer to my question before. After you receive the citizenship certificate and prepare to apply for your first Canadian passport, can you apply the passport outside of Canada? From embassy?
Or does it require in person or mail the application inside canada because it's the first time you apply it?
If you have the citizenship certificate, you can apply for a passport outside Canada at a consulate.

Reactions: marika89

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Good question. I am interested in the answer, too

marika89

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
If you have the citizenship certificate, you can apply for a passport outside Canada at a consulate.
So happy to hear that! I will be traveling to see my family (it's been looong time) and don't have chance to apply the passport in person (get expedited one), and just too impatient to wait to get the passport by mail. It took 7 weeks to get Canadian passport for my family member.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
So happy to hear that! I will be traveling to see my family (it's been looong time) and don't have chance to apply the passport in person (get expedited one), and just too impatient to wait to get the passport by mail. It took 7 weeks to get Canadian passport for my family member.
Cool. But make sure you at least wait for the citizenship certificate after your oath ceremony. Normally, it could take anywhere between a week and 4 weeks to receive your citizenship certificate depending on where your office is located, where you are located and when your application is set to "Completed" on the dashboard.

Also, if you want to travel urgently, you don't have to apply for passport by mail. You can book an appointment and avail Express pickup or Urgent pickup service. If your travel is within 2 business days of applying for passport, you'll get the passport the next business day. If your travel is beyond 2 business days from date of passport application but within 9 business days, you'll get the passport within 9 business days.

My recommendation would be to apply for a passport and leave the country with a Canadian passport to avoid headache and trouble.

Tobyvan94

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
So Is the mail-In is the only option or they ease restriction finally and you can apply in person? Also after passport is ready can you select option to pickup instead mailing (i dont trust my local postal service)?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
So Is the mail-In is the only option or they ease restriction finally and you can apply in person? Also after passport is ready can you select option to pickup instead mailing (i dont trust my local postal service)?
no you cant
If you submitted an in-person application, you can pick it up at the location mentioned in your pickup slip. However, if you submitted a mail in application, you can't pick the passport up.

When you're ready to apply for a passport, find a place that accepts walk-in services and apply in-person. 30 business days or more processing time for mail-in applications is beyond ridiculous.

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
I submitted my application via walk-in on July 21.

My first phone call to the passport office on August 18 had my passport still awaiting approval.

I called again today, August 27, for another update, and I was told that Canada Post had delivered a pick-up notice just minutes before my call was answered :D:cool:
Final update from me. I did indeed pick up my passport from Canada Post on Friday, August 27.

This brings my citizenship journey to an end. Thank you to all those who provide valuable information on this forum.

Good luck everyone :)

bluecanuck

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Called on Day 27- last friday. They received my complete application July 19 via mail.

Was told all is good with my application- but to wait 20-30 days MORE on top of the 27 days that had passed. Website says- 20 business days- BULLSHIT.

So damn unreasonable- I should have just waited for the passport offices to open- but then again they did not give any notice.

Really frustrated at how inefficient it is. I'm filing a formal complaint.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Called on Day 27- last friday. They received my complete application July 19 via mail.

Was told all is good with my application- but to wait 20-30 days MORE on top of the 27 days that had passed. Website says- 20 business days- BULLSHIT.

So damn unreasonable- I should have just waited for the passport offices to open- but then again they did not give any notice.

Really frustrated at how inefficient it is. I'm filing a formal complaint.
I'm sorry, this sucks, File a complaint, 60 days for a passport is beyond appalling.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
@rajkamalmohanram Hi Raj, when you got your kitchener appointment, did you use the webform to request a call back and then someone called you I guess? if so, do they provide options as to where you can go say if somewhere we can get an earlier appointment?

devse

Mar 3, 2017
My application for passport just got returned because my References were not in Canada or the US. I had a guarantor from here in Canada, but my references were both overseas. I got a handwritten note saying "References should reside in Canada or USA. We do not call international #'s". I thought others on these forums had mentioned that References could be living anywhere.

My bad luck I guess.