+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

samjj2

Star Member
Mar 4, 2015
No, you don't need to include return envelope.

Important things to keep in mind are:

i) go through the checklist to ensure everything is included in the package, application is fully signed with all the required fields filled out.
ii) ensure guarantor has put applicant's name and signed the back of one of the photos.
iii) send it to correct courier/mailing address.
iv) Send it in Canada express post envelope which can take the whole thing without bending.

For citizenship certificate, in order to avoid from being bent:

i) follow suggestion from rajkamalmoahnram.

Alternatively, you can follow the home made solution:

i) have cereal box/card board slightly cut bigger than the certificate itself.
ii) get a clear paper protector (can get that from $ store).
iii) place the cardboard into the clear paper protector, followed by certificate on top of the card board and place a 8x11 paper on top inside the paper protector, put paper clip (only if you have sitting around, otherwise paper protector will keep it together).
iv) you can also write, "Citizenship Certificate" on that white paper along with "Please do not bend" before putting it into paper protector.
Thank You for your quick response :)
Hoping to mail it out this week.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
I might call in a couple hours to ask for tracking numbers... but so far I have not received anything. Fingers crossed that I may receive them by this weekend!!!

EDIT: I called them and got the tracking number for the certificate - the agent said it should be mailed out this afternoon (CP showing estimate delivery date Friday), passport unfortunately is still in production. But I've seen people having their certificate and passport sent out together so I remain hopeful!

EDIT #2: It's on the way :D - picked up in Ottawa just minutes ago

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: his*marty

icykool23

Star Member
Dec 11, 2016
I might call in a couple hours to ask for tracking numbers... but so far I have not received anything. Fingers crossed that I may receive them by this weekend!!!

EDIT: I called them and got the tracking number for the certificate - the agent said it should be mailed out this afternoon (CP showing estimate delivery date Friday), passport unfortunately is still in production. But I've seen people having their certificate and passport sent out together so I remain hopeful!

EDIT #2: It's on the way :D - picked up in Ottawa just minutes ago
Where is the tracking # for passports?!?

Tess90

Feb 18, 2020
So for my passport, I make sure the guarantor signs the page in the form, signs and dates all the copies (health card and ontario card), signs my photographs, I add my citizenship certificate and send it via courier to Quebec?

Is that right?:)

Did you guys put the date of the anticipated travel if you had one? I wonder if I should, I heard it might not be a good idea

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
So for my passport, I make sure the guarantor signs the page in the form, signs and dates all the copies (health card and ontario card), signs my photographs, I add my citizenship certificate and send it via courier to Quebec?

Is that right?:)

Did you guys put the date of the anticipated travel if you had one? I wonder if I should, I heard it might not be a good idea
That’s right for everything :) Just put unknown for your date of travel. I don’t think that would expedite the process anyways :) Glad you made to this step as well!!!

• Love
Reactions: Tess90

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Got the certificate today! Exactly a week later (I live in GTA) also Canada post bent it and shoved it in the mail box!! I’m furious since there are bigger mail boxes in my condo and s concierge that accepts anything that doesn’t fit inside the mail box. Made an official complaint with Canada post (1-866-607-6301) I recommend everyone to do this. They clearly know it’s a citizenship certificate.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Got the certificate today! Exactly a week later (I live in GTA) also Canada post bent it and shoved it in the mail box!! I’m furious since there are bigger mail boxes in my condo and s concierge that accepts anything that doesn’t fit inside the mail box. Made an official complaint with Canada post (1-866-607-6301) I recommend everyone to do this. They clearly know it’s a citizenship certificate.
Oh wow! That’s rude of them. Did you get the passport as well?

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh wow! That’s rude of them. Did you get the passport as well?
Just sent the passport app now.( Couple of hours ago.) I had everything ready and was waiting for the cert to come.
Sorry I had my oath last Wednesday and got the certificate today from IRCC.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Just sent the passport app now.( Couple of hours ago.) I had everything ready and was waiting for the cert to come.
Sorry I had my oath last Wednesday and got the certificate today from IRCC.
Ohhhh sorry I misunderstood! I thought you got your certificate back from the Passport Office :p

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
That sucks. Is the certificate very crumpled?

Vanecenz588

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Hi All,

Quick Question..

I am in the process of mailing out my application for the passport.
Do you have to send a prepaid return envelope for them to send us the passport?
When you received your citizenship certificate back was it bended? Hoping they don’t bend it.
When i mail it with my application will use those envelope from Canada’s post with sign do not bend.
Anything important i should know?

Does anyone have an idea when passport office will open for walk ins instead of mailing?

Congrats to all those who got their passports.

Thanks.
You dont need to send a return prepaid envelope ( i did that and it came back to me not use)
The person in the post usually hand u the envelope to use for passport application(of course the envelope that fits the certificate too, single applicant here)
Unsure about family application.
* make sure to include your credit card info(to avoid delays)
No idea when passport office open
Goodluck