+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

CCAI2021

Star Member
Mar 16, 2021
Called today. Was told "Your application is being considered" and that it could take 1-2 months to process it.

I don't believe this. Why is there so much variance in how quickly one application is processed from another? I've seen people receive the PPs back in 2weeks, while there's no progress on mine? Have they never heard of first come first served? Why are we sending our applications into a blackhole and simply sitting waiting fingers crossed?

I come from a "third world country" where you can get your passport in 15 days for 30$ or within 3 days for 70$ and track it all the way through.

By the time I get to the point where its complete I'd have already totally lost all excitement and interest in it.

/end-rant
The "third world countries" certainly have some advantages I feel:
1) No legacy system headache.
2) More efficient and streamlined systems due to recent/on-going digitalization using the latest tech.
3) A larger population provides more economy of scale, esp. when switching to automated systems. Makes it easier to invest in a new system due to higher RoI even on much smaller individual fee.

With the new online citizenship system being rolled out, I personally wish for IRCC to connect the citizenship and passport application systems, so that all the common information and verifications automatically become visible to the passport office, and the extra information can be filled online if you want a passport after getting the citizenship.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
2) More efficient and streamlined systems due to recent/on-going digitalization using the latest tech.
3) A larger population provides more economy of scale, esp. when switching to automated systems. Makes it easier to invest in a new system due to higher RoI even on much smaller individual fee.

With the new online citizenship system being rolled out, I personally wish for IRCC to connect the citizenship and passport application systems, so that all the common information and verifications automatically become visible to the passport office, and the extra information can be filled online if you want a passport after getting the citizenship.
I think Passport Canada should consider moving from paper to online applications in the next 2 to 3 years. Many countries are doing it and people will slowly adapt. If given an option, most people will apply for a passport online, IMO. This will remove much of the unnecessary delays. Payment can be completed online like we do for citizenship / PR applications. So much of the manual work can be automated by moving to online applications. This will also remove the risk of the possibility of losing the citizenship certificate in transit. We can upload a copy of the certificate and Passport Canada can directly verify that information with IRCC.

In fact, the 'Departmental Results Report' suggests exactly that.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/departmental-performance-reports/2020/report.html

The Passport Program must continue to advance its modernization agenda to ensure that its systems and service offerings keep pace with international standards and client expectations. The Passport Program is pro-actively positioning its modernization efforts to align with the start of the next business cycle in 2023, when volumes are expected to increase as the first wave of 10-year passports expire. Once such effort is the Passport Program Modernization Initiative (PPMI), the Program’s largest investment, which requires regular and effective coordination and collaboration among multiple federal departments. In 2019–20, IRCC advanced PPMI by piloting and deploying the solution within IRCC. The Passport Program will continue to focus on implementing the new issuance platform in Canada that will improve efficiency, strengthen security, and increase Canadians’ access to passport services.

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018

I do hope that digitizing the passport application is done right this time. The current Citizenship Grant online application platform is more like lipstick on a pig. After you apply, you wait for them to process the application and then enter it into GCMS lol (They literally upload a pdf file to an S3 bucket). I do hope that that process is at least semi-automatic, but knowing how the government deals with technology, it's probably manual!

savarana

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you get your CC charged? If not - I think (based on observations, and personal experience) they didn't even start looking yet, because when I called in between the wait, one agent was nice enough to told me that your application is in a queue waiting to be examined, and the rest all told me its BEING examined. When your CC gets charged that's when things start moving. Do not worry, your hard part is over, this is just a small speed bump :)
Nope. Nothing. You're right, they don't seem to have opened it.

But, thank you for the encouraging words!

Regular and Tatkal :) .

Anyway, it is strange that they said "Your application is being considered...". Not sure what exactly that is supposed to mean. The processing time for mail in applications is 20 business days (almost 1 calendar month) from what I've seen so far. I think they say 1 to 2 months because they don't want applicants calling back frequently but I could be wrong.

Your application reached them on 1st June. Today is the 12th Business day. 29th June would be the 20th Business day. Did you check with your guarantor / references to see if they received any calls they might have missed?

If you are from where I think you are, there is yet another hectic journey called the "OCI" (I mean, if you are planning on applying for it) - If you are frustrated with the Canadian Passport process, good luck applying for OCI. Chaos is the norm for the OCI process. Frustration is commonplace.
Haha, yes, regular and tatkal

My app was received on May 31. Today is business day 14. 25th June is 20 business days. None of our references/guarantors got calls.

I am seriously dreading the OCI process and we do plan on applying for it. But at my current level of frustration, I might just opt for a tourist visa and get OCI done when in India. The OCI thread is full of BLS nightmares and Purolator losing packages.

I was talking about India, and they had a totally shite and partially corrupt legacy system before they switched to the "new" system, which is already more than a decade old at this point. I remember waiting 9 months for my passport and it only moved when I filed a freedom of information (RTI) inquiry. Which is not that different from how my citizenship application here went. Our app only moved everytime we made a GCMS inquiry.

I agree about #3!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Haha, yes, regular and tatkal

My app was received on May 31. Today is business day 14. 25th June is 20 business days. None of our references/guarantors got calls.

I am seriously dreading the OCI process and we do plan on applying for it. But at my current level of frustration, I might just opt for a tourist visa and get OCI done when in India. The OCI thread is full of BLS nightmares and Purolator losing packages.
Yup. But the best part is this, there are no original documents that you need to send for applying for OCI except the Indian passport that needs to be surrendered. Your Canadian passport and the Citizenship certificate are safe.

I have heard complaints from 2 people who claimed that Purolator lost their packages with the original Indian passport!! If you lose your original Indian passport, you'll have to file a police report and then get a deemed surrender certificate without which you can't apply for OCI. It is hectic. I can only hope that Purolator will be more responsible and NOT lose any more of our packages!

savarana

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yup. But the best part is this, there are no original documents that you need to send for applying for OCI except the Indian passport that needs to be surrendered. Your Canadian passport and the Citizenship certificate are safe.

I have heard complaints from 2 people who claimed that Purolator lost their packages with the original Indian passport!! If you lose your original Indian passport, you'll have to file a police report and then get a deemed surrender certificate without which you can't apply for OCI. It is hectic. I can only hope that Purolator will be more responsible and NOT lose any more of our packages!
Purolator will purolate. It's Canada's equivalent of India's DTDC (for those that are from there), but significantly worse. Horror stories abound beyond BLS. Unsure why BLS switched from Fedex.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Purolator will purolate. It's Canada's equivalent of India's DTDC (for those that are from there), but significantly worse. Horror stories abound beyond BLS. Unsure why BLS switched from Fedex.
I have never had an issue with Fedex. But my packages were delayed by several days a couple of times by Purolator. I will be beyond enraged if they lose my documents.

lyndawillis67

Sep 4, 2014
We were concerned that the certificate might get crumpled in the return mail so we went to Staples and get a colored copy on the same tone of paper as the certificate. The copy looks almost identical to the original, the only difference is that background watermarks aren't there. It was well worth the $3.00 spent so that we can still frame it if the original gets damaged.

Reactions: icykool23

jcttt

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
IT HAS ARRIVVEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD. CANADA POST DROPPED IT OFF IN MY MAILBOX NOW. I WAS WATCHING MY CAMERA AND CP ALWAYS VOME BETWEEN 8:30 and 9am.

OH MY!!! ITS BEAUTIFUUUUUULLLLLL

Well, that closes off years and years of a journey that started in 2014 for me.

Thank you all - this place has been not only source of information and guidance, but also support during long waits, delays, etc!

I will keep an eye out here to see if I can further support you that are still on awaiting mode.

Cheers all! ❤

btoronto

Star Member
May 6, 2014

In the "third world country" I come from it's close to imposible/ridiculously expensive to get a new passport (mine has been expired for a year now) so even with their mishaps, I'd rather deal with IRCC any given day.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
IT HAS ARRIVVEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDD. CANADA POST DROPPED IT OFF IN MY MAILBOX NOW. I WAS WATCHING MY CAMERA AND CP ALWAYS VOME BETWEEN 8:30 and 9am.

Thank you all - this place has been not only source of information and guidance, but also support during long waits, delays, etc!

I will keep an eye out here to see if I can further support you that are still on awaiting mode.

Cheers all! ❤
Congratulations my friend!!!! My certificate and passport are all "out for delivery". Should be here before 11!

• Love
Reactions: icykool23 and jcttt

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

Cheers all! ❤
All passports and certificates received! And... as always Canada Post ignored all 3 requirements: Do not bend, do not safe drop, signature required. All of them were stuffed into my mailbox and were all bent... oh well, glad it wasn't bent greatly!
Congrats! The journey ends BEGINS!