+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
If one cannot apply for a passport without the certificate, then how is it possible to receive passport and certificate at the same time?
Okay, you'll have to familiarize yourself more with the process.

- Once you take oath, a citizenship certificate is mailed to you.
- You'll receive this in a few days.
- You can only apply for a passport after you've received your citizenship certificate.
- Currently, applicants are sending their passport applications via mail because of Passport Canada / Service Canada closures due to Covid-19.
- To apply via mail, you'll have to send the passport application duly filled AND the original citizenship certificate.
- Once your application is processed, Passport Canada will return your original citizenship certificate along with your passport.

I hope you understand how the process works now.

Reactions: his*marty

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Okay, you'll have to familiarize yourself more with the process.

- Once you take oath, a citizenship certificate is mailed to you.
- You'll receive this in a few days.
- You can only apply for a passport after you've received your citizenship certificate.
- Currently, applicants are sending their passport applications via mail.
- To apply via mail, you'll have to send the passport application duly filled AND the original citizenship certificate.
- Once your application is processed, Passport Canada will return your original citizenship certificate along with your passport.

I hope you understand how the process works now.
Thank you for this.

Vanecenz588

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
Passport Released and Mailed via Xpresspost: May 31, 2021 - from Noth York, ON
Canadian Cert returned via Xpresspost: May 31. 2021 - from North York, ON

Who pays for the Xpresspost for mailing back?
I ask myself about that too, lol
I even sent a return enevelope on my application (for my passport)but it came back to me not use its inside the envelope
So in the envelope is my passport certificate and my return envelope

jcttt

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
You can apply for in person processing at passport Canada office in vicinity.

You should call pasaport Canada and explain them a situation. The agent will give you an appointment for in person submission. Take appointment today (perhaps keep a good buffer of 7 days from today for receipt of certificate in time). Take your photographs (shoppers draugmart is doing photos). Fill passport application (leave citizenship certificate number for now, once you get certificate fill up and print for your signature and guarantor signature). Fill up guarantor and reference details beforehand (you need to find 1 guarantor and 2 references who have known you for more than 2 years). Your guarantor will have to sign your pasaport application (check passport application for details). So you have to have guarantor ready to sign your application + copies of your documents (I think for in person appointment they verify your ids on spot).

For in person appointment you need to provide travel details (ticket). I have covered everything I remember but below is the link to passport program website:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport.html
Wow. Thank you SO MUCH. THAT WAS VERY HELPFUL!!!!!!

xxmaine

Jul 11, 2012
Hello everyone, I have a question about the document support identity. Where can I find in the drivers licence and bc services card the document number? And for the authorization charge fee is flat $160?
Thank you.

Last edited:

sukhi7

Star Member
Nov 6, 2016
I sent a webform yesterday asking about my passport and they emailed me back with a tracking number. It was sent yesterday morning, but the tracking doesn't provide an estimated delivery. Likely, hopefully Monday but surely next week.
Which web-form used for requesting Tracking info. May pl. give the link. Thanks

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hello Everyone,

FYI on my Complete Passport Application timeline:

Application Sent: May 17, 2021 - Mail, Gatineau QC, K1A 0G3
Mode of Shipment: Canada Post (Xpresspost/Priority Post)
Application Delivered/Received: May 18, 2021 - Receiver OTTAWA
Credit Card charged: May 28, 2021
Passport Released and Mailed via Xpresspost: May 31, 2021 - from Noth York, ON
Canadian Cert returned via Xpresspost: May 31. 2021 - from North York, ON
Passport Received: June 4, 2021
Canadian Cert Received: June 4, 2021

TOTAL - 19 DAYS
I think mine will be here today. Our timelines are almost identical.

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hello everyone, I have a question about the document support identity. Where can I find in the drivers licence and bc services card the document number? And for the authorization charge fee is flat $160?
Thank you.
It might be helpful if you say what province you are in, so others from the same can help you.. For example in MB it's on the front and starts with your last name and then initials and then numbers. Ex: SM-IT-HJQ-1234FR

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
Ok, I really hate Canada Post, there has been no expected delivery date (it's blank) added to my tracking since they've sent it on June 3.... what's the point of tracking. I hope it doesn't get lost or stuck in a mail machine and get eaten. >.<

Delivery status

In transit
June 7

Received by Canada Post
June 3

savarana

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, I really hate Canada Post, there has been no expected delivery date (it's blank) added to my tracking since they've sent it on June 3.... what's the point of tracking. I hope it doesn't get lost or stuck in a mail machine and get eaten. >.<

Delivery status

In transit
June 7

Received by Canada Post
June 3
Breathe and relax :). Canada Post is reliable even if their tracking is not up to date. I sent a package from GTA to India and it was received well within the timeframe and in perfect condition.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto

Delivery status

In transit
June 7

Received by Canada Post
June 3
CP can be tremendously slow these days... I still have nothing on my end lol

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
CP can be tremendously slow these days... I still have nothing on my end lol
Yes, they can be slow...I understand that and accept it... but usually with xpresspost they provide you with an estimated delivery date. :/