Star Member
Oct 27, 2023
Here's my timeline for a renewal from the US - SoCal

Sent FedEx to Gatineau courier address - 1/3
Arrived - 1/4
Credit card charged - 1/15
Received FedEx text notification that a package was on its way - 1/19
Received via FedEx International Priority - Signature required - 1/22

Passport was issued out of Ottawa, old design. My old, cancelled passport was sent in the same package. 2.5 weeks end to end is phenomenal, and a nice reminder of how great the Canadian civil service is in comparison to a lot of other places. Whatever problems they were having with timelines and demand seem to have been ironed out.

I was hoping for the new design. My US passport is the next generation design. It's got the same curling issues that others have noted with the new Canadian passport, but the passport and etched biodata page seem much more technologically advanced and secure. I just took my US passport on an extended trip overseas, and even with the plastic data page, I was able to cram it into a pocket just like my old Canadian one. It also flattened back out nicely after I put it in storage, so no complaints overall.
@SFCanuck - Congrats on getting your Canadian passport. Did you already have FedEx alerts set up or is this something that just happened because of the passport? Did you know it would be sent back FedEx in advance? I wonder if they just send it back the same way people send it to them? Was your certificate with your passport? ...Did you get any other communications from them beyond noticing the charge on your account? Thanks!

SFCanuck

Jan 22, 2024
@SFCanuck - Congrats on getting your Canadian passport. Did you already have FedEx alerts set up or is this something that just happened because of the passport? Did you know it would be sent back FedEx in advance? I wonder if they just send it back the same way people send it to them? Was your certificate with your passport? ...Did you get any other communications from them beyond noticing the charge on your account? Thanks!
@R17 I already had FedEx alerts set up for inbound shipments to my address, and I didn't receive any other notification from Passport Canada. In fact, when I checked the online status, it didn't even show as "application received and processing" until shortly before I received the shipment notification from FedEx! I'm curious to hear how others are receiving their shipments, but I doubt they use different methods depending on how you send in your application. My guess is that it's probably all built into the application fee, and they likely have a contract with one or more courier companies.

I didn't have to send my certificate since it was just a renewal, but I did receive my previous, now cancelled passport in the same envelope as my new passport.

R17

Star Member
Oct 27, 2023
@R17 I already had FedEx alerts set up for inbound shipments to my address, and I didn't receive any other notification from Passport Canada. In fact, when I checked the online status, it didn't even show as "application received and processing" until shortly before I received the shipment notification from FedEx! I'm curious to hear how others are receiving their shipments, but I doubt they use different methods depending on how you send in your application. My guess is that it's probably all built into the application fee, and they likely have a contract with one or more courier companies.

I didn't have to send my certificate since it was just a renewal, but I did receive my previous, now cancelled passport in the same envelope as my new passport.
@SFCanuck Thank you for this information. I'd be curious to know which couriers they have contracts with or if it is all FedEx. Also, how did you check the status? Did they send you a message with information on how to do so (a link, information that needed to be entered) like they do with the citizenship application?

hsingh90

Jan 30, 2024
I mailed my passport application to Gatineau, Quebec's regular mailing address. The mail was delivered on January 25 after 3 days delay which is obvious with Canada Post. Upon tracking the mail it says it was delivered to a mailing room in Ottawa which is quite strange as the receiver's address is in Quebec. Is it normal or does anybody has had the same tracking status? I also tried getting the file number to track passport status if they have started processing it yet, however I'm not getting any email with a file number.

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Mailed from NY: 27 Jan 2024
Delivered (Gatineau, QC passport program mailing address, actual delivery to Ottawa ON): 5 Feb 2024
Rest TBD

I mailed my passport application to Gatineau, Quebec's regular mailing address. The mail was delivered on January 25 after 3 days delay which is obvious with Canada Post. Upon tracking the mail it says it was delivered to a mailing room in Ottawa which is quite strange as the receiver's address is in Quebec. Is it normal or does anybody has had the same tracking status? I also tried getting the file number to track passport status if they have started processing it yet, however I'm not getting any email with a file number.
Checking reddit, this is apparently incredibly common, passport applications are marked as being delivered to Ottawa and then taken to Gaitneau (which is directly next to Ottawa so quick drive) for processing.

Mimi6583

Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone, I have a paper citizenship certificate and I’m considering applying for my passport by mail.
Do I have to mail my ORIGINAL certificate or can i attach a printed copy with my application?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi everyone, I have a paper citizenship certificate and I’m considering applying for my passport by mail.
Do I have to mail my ORIGINAL certificate or can i attach a printed copy with my application?
Original in case of paper certificate. For e-certificate printed copy works.

Reactions: Mimi6583

maples0101

Feb 16, 2024
Delivered (Gatineau, QC passport program mailing address, actual delivery to Ottawa ON): 5 Feb 2024
Rest TBD

Checking reddit, this is apparently incredibly common, passport applications are marked as being delivered to Ottawa and then taken to Gaitneau (which is directly next to Ottawa so quick drive) for processing.
Any updates on your application yet?

maples0101

Feb 16, 2024
I applied for my Canadian passport from the US (Texas) and this is my timeline

Application delivered to them - July 24
Credit card charged - Aug 01
Passport Sent to me - Aug 08
Passport delivered to me - Aug 14

They sent it using Canada Post's Express Post option.
So, was it renewal? I see you mentioned your status showed 'can't give status right now' for few days. What was the reason for that status?

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Any updates on your application yet?
None yet. Technically their standard for mail-in applications is 10 business days and this past Friday 2/16 is 9 business days. If I don't have anything in my email by Monday morning I'll reach out to inquire about the status of my father's application.

(He's first generation Canadian, I'm the first generation born outside of Canada - as his passport wasn't eligible for renewal I helped him with the application and am his guarantor.)

Reactions: maples0101

torontowarrior

Dec 8, 2013
My renewal application from US:

-Application delivered to them - Jan 25th 2024
-Credit card charged - Feb 3rd 2024

Not sure how more days they will be requiring to process the renewal passport application.....

maples0101

Feb 16, 2024
My renewal application from US:

-Application delivered to them - Jan 25th 2024
-Credit card charged - Feb 3rd 2024

Not sure how more days they will be requiring to process the renewal passport application.....
What does status tracker say?

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Rest TBD
Still no update on my father's application. Status tracker turns up zilch, no emails, credit card not charged.
Filled out the form to inquire about status yesterday, will update when I hear back...