+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

maples0101

Feb 16, 2024
My timeline:
Application delivered : Feb 2
CC charged : Feb 12
Status : Got Fedex notification that package is on my way. (Feb 21)

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
So with no status tracker after more than 10 business days I waited through the phone queue (twice...after a disconnect) 160+ people deep with my father conferenced in (the passport program will only talk to the person the passport is being issued for)...

A rep asked him some basic information about himself, put him on a brief hold... and then said that his photo was flagged as having a shadow on his left ear as a potential issue (????). They asked for a best contact number and said they would send it to a supervisor for a final review on whether the photo is acceptable or not.

What's wild is that the passport photo is the same* as his US passport (both applications were sent on the same day) and Canada's photo standards beyond size are very similar to the US - even plain background, no shadows, looking directly at camera, etc... (US prohibits eyewear without a doctor's note, Canada technically does not prohibit glasses but doesn't allow glare on the lenses and good luck finding a photographer who won't make you remove them). And there's no shadow on his ear in that photo.

(Here drugstores/pharmacies do passport photos using a point and shoot camera, and then place the memory card in a Kodak photo system. KODAK's moment's biometric system understands the visa/passport photo specs of the country you select, appropriately crops it to the specifications of the country [ear to ear, top of head to chin, etc.], automatically checks that it meets the standards of the country, and then prints to the appropriate size. So the same photo is able to be used in a compliant way.)

Not the end of the world if they put the application on hold and make him send photos (vs. rejecting), but still inconvenient...

No emails and no online status tracker. Only way to get this info was to call...

torontowarrior

Dec 8, 2013
My renewal application from US:

-Application delivered to them - Jan 25th 2024
-Credit card charged - Feb 3rd 2024

Not sure how more days they will be requiring to process the renewal passport application.....
Atlast some hope today i called customer service and waited in the call for 30 mins and they checked and confirmed its approved... Next is waiting game to ship the passport...

What does status tracker say?
maples0101 - Application has received and no further udpates.....

aspire2023

Jul 4, 2023
so this is epic ,

my status shows we reviewd your application and cant process it further, called office and guy said you and your wife application is rejected , today afternoon , received passports for both.

Timeline:
29 Oct - application sent
1Nov - application received
8 Nov- CC charged
18 Nov - citizenship certificate returned
20 Nov - status changed to " we have reviewd your application and cant process it further
21 Nov- called passport office , was informed to apply again as application rejected and returned
22 Nov - received both passports.

good luck to everyone , you ll get yours very soon

Did you get a tracking Number at all?

saathvik92

Nov 1, 2021
My renewal application from US:

-Application delivered to them - Jan 25th 2024
-Credit card charged - Feb 3rd 2024

Not sure how more days they will be requiring to process the renewal passport application.....
I have a similar timeline as yours. Did you receive your passport ?

Nk_98

Oct 19, 2023
Hello Guys,
I applied passport in person at a regular service canada on Feb 19th and was told status will be available after 5 business days.
It's been 10 days now and it still says ' we have received your application and processing it". When will it change?

ganbu

Mar 5, 2024
Applied from the US for renewal and status is still showing: We have received your application and are now processing it

Application received Feb 9th
Credit Card charged Feb 19th

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Hello Guys,
I applied passport in person at a regular service canada on Feb 19th and was told status will be available after 5 business days.
It's been 10 days now and it still says ' we have received your application and processing it". When will it change?
Looks like as they said, the status is in fact available online.

Processing time for regular in-person applications at Service Canada is 20 business days and then mailing time on top of that. You're well within range.

ganbu

Mar 5, 2024
Applied from the US for renewal and status is still showing: We have received your application and are now processing it

Application received Feb 9th
Credit Card charged Feb 19th
I called Passport Canada early this week and they said it was approved and would be mailed on Fri. I haven't yet got any notification from FedEx yet and the status online still says "We are processing".

yyang262

Sep 12, 2016
I called Passport Canada early this week and they said it was approved and would be mailed on Fri. I haven't yet got any notification from FedEx yet and the status online still says "We are processing".
Did you receive your passport? Or fedex alert? I am 3 days earlier than you and still waiting.

ganbu

Mar 5, 2024
Did you receive your passport? Or fedex alert? I am 3 days earlier than you and still waiting.
Nope, neither. I called again today, waited for more than 540 ppl before I talked to someone. They told me they printed the label and Fedex should pick it up soon. It is at 22 business days now since they received my application.

Nk_98

Oct 19, 2023
Looks like as they said, the status is in fact available online.

Processing time for regular in-person applications at Service Canada is 20 business days and then mailing time on top of that. You're well within range.
So that means, it will keep showing this same status until 20 business days are complete? it's almost 17 days now

ganbu

Mar 5, 2024
So that means, it will keep showing this same status until 20 business days are complete? it's almost 17 days now
this is what I'm seeing. Some folks here said it would change to printed and mailed but so far for me it just says we are now processing. I'm assuming when Fedex eventually picks up the package, it might change.

And, I think 20 days is more like what they are shooting for, but mine has been there for over 20 days already since the day they received a complete application.

ganbu

Mar 5, 2024
Update! The status changed for me today to say printed and mailed. It says mailed with Canada Post, but it is actually Fedex. It should be delivered tomorrow. Good luck everyone. Hopefully, you will hear / see an update soon

Reactions: yyang262