+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Congrats. But why they need to call and inform when usually they just mail the passport without calling.
Because I have a very active MP office that is taking care of my application by calling passport Canada multiples times. Passport Canada called just to let me know what is going on, I believe my MP calling them multiples times was kind of too much for them.

mohdsafiuddin

Nov 8, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-2-2014
Doc's Request.
11-09-20116, Sent 11-09-2016
Nomination.....
31-10-2015
AOR Received.
23-3-2016
IELTS Request
Sent with nomination
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-02-2017
Med's Done....
Submitted 13-02-2017 Passed 21-02-2017
I applied on March 27th and it's still pending.
I called more than 200 times in the past week and finally got connected for the very first time today.
My number in queue at 8:30am (right when the lines open) was 168.
After waiting for about an hour, I got to talk to an agent.
They told me that my passport is still not printed, and that I should reach back in 2 weeks.

They did ask me if I have immediate travel plans, and I don't have any.

I think in your case it's probably better to actually have concrete travel plans, get the file transferred and expedited.

Finally got my passport today.
Citizenship certificate and passport in the same Envelope.

Toom me 15 weeks (106 days) total from mail in to getting the passport in hand.

Good luck everyone.

CaptBasil

May 10, 2022
Finally got my passport July 11!

Timeline:
Mail App received in Ottawa (sent to Gatineau address): April 12
Cc charged: May 8
Passport Received by me - July 11
Citizenship Certificate - pending. it was not sent together with my passport.

My canada post account didn't capture the tracking number of the xpresspost envelope so it was a surprise! I was at work so CP left a note and I had to pick it up.

Thanks for the information from everyone on this thread. Hope that you all will get your passport soon! :)

Last edited:

gta-pass

Jul 12, 2022
Does any one know if these are business days or calendar days:

In the Greater Toronto Area, the triage is separated into three groups:
  • Travel within 24 to 48 hours
  • Travel within 3 to 19 days
  • Travel beyond 20 days (or with no specific travel date)
I have already applied at Service Canada on June 10th but now need to travel for an important office meeting and have flight + hotel reservation for 6th August? What shall I do? Shall I call the helpline or just go into one of the offices really early in the morning?

Can someone please share the best number for passport canada transfer request line

salmanma

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-01-2018
Timeline for my Brother's passport:

Travel Date: Aug 1, 2022

April 11: Mailed "Simplified Adult Renewal form" with my brother's expired child passport and 2 Photos.
April 13: Received by Passport Program
April/May: No Charge to CC
June 6: Called Passport Canada to get an update as to why CC hasn't been charged, they informed me that my brother would need to apply for "New Adult Passport" instead of submitting "Simplified Adult Renewal Form", since he had child passport before and now he is 16+ he would need an Adult passport. They told me the application has been rejected and I would receive all the documents back by mail.
June 15: Received all the documents back which were submitted, including a rejection form.
June 24 (Experience): Since the travel date was less then 45 days, I took my brother to Brampton Passport Office around closing time on Friday 3:30PM just to check what the procedure was to get in (would we need a ticket number like how they give out 100 tickets at Mississauga location everyday at 7:30AM, we were sure that we would need to camp early morning to get the passport), but luckily the lady told us if we have all the documents and proof of travel we can get in line, they don't hand out any tickets. Luckily there were only 10-12 people in line and he got in! Submitted the new application for Adult passport, documents he took were his old expired Child passport, Original Birth Certificate, 2 Photo (1 signed by guarantor) and proof of travel. The agent scanned the Original Birth Certificate and gave it back to him but kept everything else. He had two option for receiving passport (Pickup or delivery by mail). Pickup would be $20 extra and delivery would be done before July 18th. He opted for delivery by mail (but no tracking number was given)
July 11: Received his passport by mail.

salmanma

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-01-2018
Does any one know if these are business days or calendar days:

In the Greater Toronto Area, the triage is separated into three groups:
  • Travel within 24 to 48 hours
  • Travel within 3 to 19 days
  • Travel beyond 20 days (or with no specific travel date)
I have already applied at Service Canada on June 10th but now need to travel for an important office meeting and have flight + hotel reservation for 6th August? What shall I do? Shall I call the helpline or just go into one of the offices really early in the morning?

Can someone please share the best number for passport canada transfer request line
Not sure about that specific location, but Passport Office across Canada should accept people travelling 45 "Business" days or less.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/passport.html

If you can get through to them on the phone then tell them to transfer your file to a Local Passport office and hope they accept the transfer. Mailed-in application are taking 13+ weeks on average at the moment.

Reactions: LOrangeVerte

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
What is everyone's experience with requesting a transfer for a mailed in app to their local passport office?

I managed to get through yesterday and they said they put in a transfer request for my application to my local passport office as I have travel coming up on July 29. They said to expect a call on July 27 or 28 to send them proof of travel and that they could then process the application, but the agent said sometimes the request doesnt go through.

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
If youre home, they will knock your door to hand it to you in person. if youre not home, they will leave a collection note for you to go to your nearest CP location. Sometimes CP do that anyway instead of knocking the door. What they did with me. I was home all day and at the end of the day found a collection slip.
The canada post guy was at the door, rang the bell, took my signatures and handed over the passport. It was via Xpresspost. Was mailed on 7th July at Mississauga passport office and i got on 11th July.

Reactions: aacan and BuzzBuzz

veerapan89

Apr 17, 2017

Timeline:

My canada post account didn't capture the tracking number of the xpresspost envelope so it was a surprise! I was at work so CP left a note and I had to pick it up.

Thanks for the information from everyone on this thread. Hope that you all will get your passport soon! :)
My CC was charged today, so by this timeline, I should hopefully be getting mine by September! I have a flight booked for October 15th, gives me about 1 month buffer.

Reactions: CaptBasil

KMR389

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Hello Everyone.

Seeking a valuable advise.
I just received the Canadian certificate and I am in process of applying the Passport. (No anticipated travel date)

Will the passport office (Specifically the one in Kitchener) will accept my application, if i decide to wait in the line early in the morning? Or, can someone confirms the passport offices are only for applications who can prove the travel plans.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Hello Everyone.

Seeking a valuable advise.
I just received the Canadian certificate and I am in process of applying the Passport. (No anticipated travel date)

Will the passport office (Specifically the one in Kitchener) will accept my application, if i decide to wait in the line early in the morning? Or, can someone confirms the passport offices are only for applications who can prove the travel plans.

Thank you for your time in advance.
only with travel plans / confirmed tickets.

Reactions: KMR389

JuliaK

Jun 22, 2022

Timeline:

My timeline is the same as yours but as of last week was still in review. Received in Gatineau on April 12. CC charged May 10. Was yours a new passport or a renewal?