+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

fazedragon

Jun 2, 2022
Got my passport today! Applied by mail from the United States, with no travel date, for a new adult passport.

Received: March 17
CC charged: March 24
Contacted embassy: May 20
Passport received in mail: June 2

If you applied from the United States and are in dire need of a passport (I needed it to renew my driver’s license, which expired at the end of May), I highly suggest reaching out to the Canadian embassy, who will forward your case to the closest consulate. Consular services helped me get my passport in less than two weeks.

wabbitwabbit

May 14, 2019
Hi, I have a question… for the original certificate of citizenship, do you guys mail it out with the folder that came with it? Or do you take out just the certificate and send with the application form and the rest of the required document?

Wondering if it’s a better protection for the certificate if sent with the folder……

MarsiaMS

Jul 5, 2016
Northern British Columbia
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
15-03-2017
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Request
28-02-2018
Med's Done....
upfront
Applied for my passport on April 8 in person at Service Canada. They said it will arrive around May 17. Still waiting and no end in sight. I started worrying that my passport got lost, but seeing how many people wait for 2-3 months, makes me feel a bit better.

Bobble

May 26, 2022
Hi, I have a question… for the original certificate of citizenship, do you guys mail it out with the folder that came with it? Or do you take out just the certificate and send with the application form and the rest of the required document?

Wondering if it’s a better protection for the certificate if sent with the folder……
I sent mine in a plastic binder insert but I can't remember if that's what it originally came in. My certificate came back in the exact same plastic binder though

Reactions: wabbitwabbit

sohausman

Mar 20, 2017
yes, you can walk-in at local passport office with proof of travel or else they won’t help.

if you get a transfer done over the phone then you don’t have to wait for hours at passport office, you will be prioritized over walk-ins.

as i mentioned in my earlier post, with or without a transfer you still have to fill out a fresh passport application, provide new photos, most important you will need your original citizenship certificate, and without it, they won’t help.

Hope it helps. Good luck buddy!
But if i am going to passport office for transfer of my file for processing to travel within 2 days(after waiting 2+ months for passport arrival and CC charged) and I dont have my Citizenship certificate as i submitted it with my mailed in application. Will they let the transfer through or not?

Reactions: Adil Sulehri

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
But if i am going to passport office for transfer of my file for processing to travel within 2 days(after waiting 2+ months for passport arrival and CC charged) and I dont have my Citizenship certificate as i submitted it with my mailed in application. Will they let the transfer through or not?
I am in this situation too. I mean if we’re already in the system I don’t see why they can’t view our certificate but if I’ve learnt anything over the years with this sort of stuff none of it makes any logical sense. Please let me know if you find anything out. I will be calling in a few for a transfer if mine hasn’t arrived as I travel July 10th.

LoganInTheSpaxe

May 28, 2022
Hey friends! Just wanna know is that my signature in my passport application need to be the same as my driver license? While I use my simplified name as my signature in my driver license, and this time I wanna use my full name as my signature for my passport application. Is that allowed or should I just keep use my simplified signature in my passport application? Thank you!!!:)

Immigreat81

May 28, 2017
Got my passport today! Applied by mail from the United States, with no travel date, for a new adult passport.

Received: March 17
CC charged: March 24
Contacted embassy: May 20
Passport received in mail: June 2

If you applied from the United States and are in dire need of a passport (I needed it to renew my driver’s license, which expired at the end of May), I highly suggest reaching out to the Canadian embassy, who will forward your case to the closest consulate. Consular services helped me get my passport in less than two weeks.
Hi, this is so helpful. What did you need to say/provide at the consulate? Which consulate helped you? Thanks!

KR14

Oct 22, 2021
Incorrect - at least according to the person I spoke with this morning at the Canada Service number anyway. I called earlier today at 8:32 am, got through, and spoke with someone 20 minutes later. She wouldn't transfer my file to a physical office as my travel date is too far in advance. I leave July 3, so she said to call back (or take the chance and head to a passport office in person) on or after June 17. She was able to see that my documents were scanned and in their system. Either way, like @Radium says it sounds like I won't be getting the passports until a couple days before my travel - unless by the grace of God, they arrive in the mail in the next 15 days.

Passport received: May 2
CC charged: May 26
Documents confirmed to be scanned and in the system (but not yet processed): June 2
Request to transfer file denied: also June 2
Hi ,
Why they denied your transfer request!

Adil Sulehri

Nov 1, 2012
Vancouver
I am in this situation too. I mean if we’re already in the system I don’t see why they can’t view our certificate but if I’ve learnt anything over the years with this sort of stuff none of it makes any logical sense. Please let me know if you find anything out. I will be calling in a few for a transfer if mine hasn’t arrived as I travel July 10th.
Okay few things to take care of when talking to an agent over the phone

Get your file number
Agent will say they have transferred your file to your local office but that's not true
An office over the counter can only help you if your documents are scanned
Important thing, for people who are renewing their passports , they should be filling out a new form and go with pictures even after an agent has told them that their file has been transferred, trust me it is not the case
I had to involve my local MP (Jagmeet Singh) who also happens to be NDP leader, only after his involvement they scanned my documents, otherwise the nightmare would have continued

For people who are applying for the first time, it's way complicated, an agent has to see your oath certificate in order to issue you a passport at local office
Two things (if your documents are not scanned, he will fill out a form and ask you to sign it and then he will send that form to concerned authorities to verify your oath certificate (you should have your oath certificate number)
If you're lucky enough and they reply in time, then you need fill out a new form with guarantor and references with pictures (you should be going with all of this beforehand)
The only bad thing about that is he/she can only issue you 2 years valid passport but they gonna charge 5 year fee
Man it has been a mess and so difficult to get a passport in case of emergency
I got mine yesterday, so this is hands on experience :)

Last edited:

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

My uncle son(canadian) is in Thailand right now. Uncle is in Canada. Can he apply for passport from Canada for his son?

Does passport office require you to bring your son in person to pick up in Canada?

Thanks

elcabalito2017

Mar 21, 2017
Okay few things to take care of when talking to an agent over the phone

Get your file number
Agent will say they have transferred your file to your local office but that's not true
An office over the counter can only help you if your documents are scanned
Important thing, for people who are renewing their passports , they should be filling out a new form and go with pictures even after an agent has told them that their file has been transferred, trust me it is not the case
I had to involve my local MP (Jagmeet Singh) who also happens to be NDP leader, only after his involvement they scanned my documents, otherwise the nightmare would have continued

For people who are applying for the first time, it's way complicated, an agent has to see your oath certificate in order to issue you a passport at local office
Two things (if your documents are not scanned, he will fill out a form and ask you to sign it and then he will send that form to concerned authorities to verify your oath certificate (you should have your oath certificate number)
If you're lucky enough and they reply in time, then you need fill out a new form with guarantor and references with pictures (you should be going with all of this beforehand)
The only bad thing about that is he/she can only issue you 2 years valid passport but they gonna charge 5 year fee
Man it has been a mess and so difficult to get a passport in case of emergency
I got mine yesterday, so this is hands on experience :)
Hey. thanks for the input. How do we know our file number if we have sent the application by mail? first time passport. I am on the phone right now, waiting for my turn. thanks!

Adil Sulehri

Nov 1, 2012
Vancouver
Hey. thanks for the input. How do we know our file number if we have sent the application by mail? first time passport. I am on the phone right now, waiting for my turn. thanks!
You ask (file number) from the agent , what they're doing is just putting basic information in the system and not scanning the documents, what they should do is to scan them as well while putting our information in the system.

When agent tells you the file number, don't forget to ask if he/she can see the documents, if they can see, you're good for local office transfer

Reactions: elcabalito2017