+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

HabsFan416

May 28, 2022
You can ask for a transfer at any time, however passport office will only call you for in-person visit, close to your travel date.
Incorrect - at least according to the person I spoke with this morning at the Canada Service number anyway. I called earlier today at 8:32 am, got through, and spoke with someone 20 minutes later. She wouldn't transfer my file to a physical office as my travel date is too far in advance. I leave July 3, so she said to call back (or take the chance and head to a passport office in person) on or after June 17. She was able to see that my documents were scanned and in their system. Either way, like @Radium says it sounds like I won't be getting the passports until a couple days before my travel - unless by the grace of God, they arrive in the mail in the next 15 days.

Passport received: May 2
CC charged: May 26
Documents confirmed to be scanned and in the system (but not yet processed): June 2
Request to transfer file denied: also June 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Deedle

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
you can buy other copy as long as you apply from the government website. I have 2 official document in hand
I don’t think that’s true. You can get a copy if its lost or stolen but mine isn’t either of those, it’s with passport Canada.

Reactions: Radium

Bobble

May 26, 2022
when did you apply, i applied on 31st march in person at canada post still havnet received the passport.
Its well over 2 months now.
This is my current timeline for the application

Mail in application with no travel date filled
Application sent: 2022-03-21
Application received: 2022-03-23
CC charged: 2022-05-26
Citizenship Certificate received: 2022-05-30
Passport Received: Hopefully soon

Reactions: yutaeren

occamslaser

Aug 20, 2020
Hello folks, quick question about documentation when transferring to a local office. I sent off the application end of April - I have travel booked June 25 because I (naively) didn't anticipate 2+ months of waiting. My CC was charged May 26. I put June 1 as the travel date on my application because I had a trip booked then as well, but I cancelled it (I knew that one was risky so everything was refundable).

I've seen others note that if you have travel within 10 business days you can call for a transfer. However, I had to send my original citizenship certificate in the mail for the first application (new citizen). Is it possible to get a passport issued in-person if your original certificate is elsewhere? You'd think they'd have other ways to verify my citizenship after going through the whole process but if the last two years taught me anything it's that these systems operate in a parallel reality.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Calvy

May 9, 2015
Hamilton On App -
Non urgent app
New Citizen

Passport/certificate and bank draft mailed March 18 2022 ...arrived Ottawa March 21 2022

Sent 2 status updates...received unhelpful generic response 2 months after.

Tried calling several times. Never got lucky

Saturday May 26 2022: call from unknown number. Turns out to be Passport canada!.. so answer unknown nb calls. Called to correct my city of birth

Agent says ... all looks good on my app... and should receive in 2-3weeks.

June 2 2022: Passport & Ceritifiacte in same envelope ....arrived in the mail. Via 2days xpresspost Canadapost. I tracked it out of curiosity.. it was mailed out June 1 .. arrived June 2 2022. LOL I guess she was wrong when she said to expect it in 2-3weeks.

PS: Guarantor and references never got called.

Last edited:

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
Hamilton On App -
Non urgent app
New Citizen

Passport/certificate mailed March 18 2022 ...arrived Ottawa March 21 2022

Sent 2 status updates...received unhelpful generic response 2 months after.

Tried calling several times. Never got lucky

Saturday May 26 2022: call from unknown number. Turns out to be Passport canada!.. so answer unknown nb calls. Called to correct my city of birth

Agent says ... all looks good on my app... and should receive in 2-3weeks.

June 2 2022: Passport & Ceritifiacte in same envelope ....arrived in the mail. Via 2days xpresspost Canada. I tracked it out of curiosity.. it was mailed out June 1 .. arrived June 2 2022. LOL I guess she was wrong when she said to expect it in 2-3weeks.
Wow that’s awesome. Gives me a glimmer of hope. Congrats!

Reactions: Calvy

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
finally got my passport... phew :p

timelines for your reference

applied on Mar 11
application received on Mar 15
cc charged on Apr 13
passport and certificate in same envelope hand delivered by speed post (Canada post) on June 02

good luck peeps... your comments and chats really help... cheers to everyone... i am off to LCBO to pop open a bottle of prosecco :):cool::);)

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
finally got my passport... phew :p

timelines for your reference

applied on Mar 11
application received on Mar 15
cc charged on Apr 13
passport and certificate in same envelope hand delivered by speed post (Canada post) on June 02

good luck peeps... your comments and chats really help... cheers to everyone... i am off to LCBO to pop open a bottle of prosecco :):cool::);)
That's three months! o_O Congrats on getting it done though! I'll cheer for you this Sunday when having a little post-brunch cocktail, hehe.

Reactions: alexpolis007

LoganInTheSpaxe

May 28, 2022
Hey folks, anyone know can I request to transfer my application in person at passport centre?? If they allow me to transfer am I gonna need a new application and photos?? Thanks !!