+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

cyberkodi

Jun 14, 2021
I applied at a regular Service Canada location in Toronto on March 7 and the passport was supposed to be mailed out on April 4. Of course that did not happen. I called yesterday and was told that "they are still working on it".

I would say that you should give them a call to make sure your application is okay.
Thank you, yeah I have been trying to reach them via phone for the last 10 days and no luck so far! it's so frustrating!!!!

edmpr

Star Member
Aug 2, 2016
What is the best phone number to reach them at , if you could please share ? Is it same as this one ?

Call us from Canada and the U.S.
Toll free: 1-800-567-6868

TTY services: 1-866-255-7655

Call the passport program at 819-997-8338 (Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET)

Corgi

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
Copying @PumpkinJack 's suggestion for calling the 1 800 567 6868 number:

"Here is a tip to save others time when they call Passport helpdesk.

1)Select language by pressing 1 for English and 2 for French

2) If it takes you to the pre recorded message that gives instructions on where and how to apply for passport, just disconnect the call as it will play for a minute and disconnect itself.

If it asks if you’re applying from Canada or Outside Canada, it means you will get a spot in the queue. Stay on the call and select options as prompted.

This is new in the IVR options apparently to keep the queue small around 200 + people. It takes a while to get into the queue as you have to keep trying again and again but the wait time would be an hour or less once you get into the queue."

quadmachine

Aug 29, 2017
I just received my citizenship certificate back. There is a letter inside the envelope saying that I should be getting my passport through post.

Did others get their passport and the certificate delivered in different packages?

Last edited:

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Guys, when the passports are mailed to us do they come via Canada post and do the postman leaves it in the mailbox or they come at your door and gets some signature etc?

Corgi

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
I just received my citizenship certificate back. There is a letter inside the envelope saying that I should be getting my passport through post.

Did others get their passport and the certificate delivered in different packages?
It seems like some people get theirs in the same envelope and others get them separately.

Reactions: quadmachine

cyberkodi

Jun 14, 2021
Finally managed to get through and speak to somebody at the helpline after 2 weeks of trying, they said the average processing time is now 8 weeks, so even though we applied first week of March in person at service canada, they still haven't looked at it yet due the backlog. They advised me to call back in again middle of May (when the 8 weeks have passed) to check again.

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Hey all,

I called them today to learn that they sent my passport this morning and got the tracking number.

Passport Application sent: March 2nd
Application delivered : March 3rd (Ottawa mailroom)
CC charged : March 25
Citizenship certificate returned : April 6 (on request)
Passport mailed out - April 22
Passport received : April 26
I received my passport today and my new journey begins. Good luck to all waiting for their turn.

fairyspark

Apr 26, 2022
Hi everyone,

I had been reading and I’m just a bit confuse. When do you ask for a file transfer to an office and what’s the phone number that we can call to do that? I have a passport renewal application sent on March 19 and up until now no charge on my CC.

mukicookie

Star Member
Jan 24, 2022
For first time passport application, can we apply in person at the Service Canada offices ? I dont intend to travel in the next 2 months. Is it faster compared with mail in application?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi everyone,

I had been reading and I’m just a bit confuse. When do you ask for a file transfer to an office and what’s the phone number that we can call to do that? I have a passport renewal application sent on March 19 and up until now no charge on my CC.
And they said the made renewal applications faster!!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
For first time passport application, can we apply in person at the Service Canada offices ? I dont intend to travel in the next 2 months. Is it faster compared with mail in application?
The processing time is the same. The only difference is that you go home with your certificate.

Reactions: cyberkodi

Corgi

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

The earliest you can call for a transfer is 10 business days before you are meant to be travelling. It's the same number: 1 800 567 6868.

There is a bit of a trick to getting through to talk to someone, see my previous post further up this page.