+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Initially mailed in passport application on February 20th and wasn’t in too much of a rush to get it back since my travel date was set for May 18th. Got a rejection notice in the mail due to some missing information and on that it said the application was reviewed on March 28th. Resent the application via mail because it wasn’t within the 25 business days before my travel date.
Application was delivered April 12th
Still no credit card charge and I called today to ask for an update and they said there is no open case as of yet.
They said to call back on May 4th and request a transfer because that will be 10 days before travel. Still worried that won’t be enough time!!
Supposed to fly out on May 18th but really getting anxious about receiving my passport in time.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I’m sorry to hear that. I am not sure if you have to wait until 10 days before the travel to qualify for file transfer. Other folks here might be able to assist with that.

Assuming no further issues, there is a very little possibility you will get your processed before your fly date looking at all the delays so get ready to call them and request file transfer.

eld0rad0

Jan 4, 2021
Application Received @ Gatineau (from BC): March 30
Phoned in to verify status (Pending Approval): April 22
CC Charged: April 26

As suspected by others here, it appears that the 20 business day processing standard is based on the date the credit card is charged – hence, if you study folk’s recent timelines, they largely reflect this regardless of the prospective travel date declared (I marked [X] none).

alexpolis007

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
Application Received @ Gatineau (from BC): March 30
Phoned in to verify status (Pending Approval): April 22
CC Charged: April 26

As suspected by others here, it appears that the 20 business day processing standard is based on the date the credit card is charged – hence, if you study folk’s recent timelines, they largely reflect this regardless of the prospective travel date declared (I marked [X] none).
What do you mean ?
will you get the passport 20 days after credit card is charged ?

quadmachine

Aug 29, 2017
My application package was delivered to "the mail room" on February 22. I still haven't received anything back from them.

The strange thing is that my files were marked to go to the Gatineau in Quebec, but were delivered to Ottawa, Ontario.
Not sure if I should be worried or not.

edmpr

Star Member
Aug 2, 2016
Hi Team,
I applied for passport from Edmonton Melbourne Mall Service Canada. Didn't have any travel plans.
Had the appointment on March 3rd and the credit card was charged the same day. They provided a slip that expected delivery date of passport at April 19th and I still haven't got the passports yet. What are your thoughts? This is too long of a time. Should I approach the MP?

Thanks,
Edmpr

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
My application package was delivered to "the mail room" on February 22. I still haven't received anything back from them.

The strange thing is that my files were marked to go to the Gatineau in Quebec, but were delivered to Ottawa, Ontario.
Not sure if I should be worried or not.
Almost all our mailed applications were and are being delivered to the mail room in Ottawa. No need to worry but yes, your application is getting delayed. You should call and ask them the status and ensure there are no errors or any additional documents needed. They usually don’t call you on time if there is an issue so we need to be proactive.

Reactions: quadmachine

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Is anyone still able to reach the offices? I Called them three days in a row (8:30am on the dot) and they said they were all booked up and to try again later. Weird

Radium

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 28. 2015
Med's Done....
August 18, 2014
Hi Team,
I applied for passport from Edmonton Melbourne Mall Service Canada. Didn't have any travel plans.
Had the appointment on March 3rd and the credit card was charged the same day. They provided a slip that expected delivery date of passport at April 19th and I still haven't got the passports yet. What are your thoughts? This is too long of a time. Should I approach the MP?

Thanks,
Edmpr
Did you mention travel date on your app or left it blank?
Did you track your passport status since it’s over 20 business days?

edmpr

Star Member
Aug 2, 2016
Did you mention travel date on your app or left it blank?
Did you track your passport status since it’s over 20 business days?
Travel date was left blank as I obviously had no travel plans. I have submitted a request to track the status of the passport by submitting a form online last Friday and there was an automated response that they will revert back in 5 business days. This is ridiculous.

Radium

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
NOC Code......
INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 28. 2015
Med's Done....
August 18, 2014
Travel date was left blank as I obviously had no travel plans. I have submitted a request to track the status of the passport by submitting a form online last Friday and there was an automated response that they will revert back in 5 business days. This is ridiculous.
I see a lot of posts about not getting timely reply on passport status requests as their office is overwhelmed.
But I do have a feeling you may get your passport by this month end or by first week of May.

I think adding a travel date on app does make a difference even though you have no travel plans. I put a random date in May, and the agent at service canada said we cannot give your passport before that date, she asked me change the date. I did not change the date and said, it’s okay if i don’t get it by that time as it isn’t urgent.

cyberkodi

Jun 14, 2021
Anyone received their passports who have applied in person in March at service Canada (no urgent travel) in BC?

We applied at Vancouver service Canada office first week of March and obviously paid there instantly, was told expected mailout date will be April 13th and still nothing. I have been trying to call them for the last week and can't get through, so I am not sure what do next?

Has anyone who applied in person at service Canada in BC in March received theirs yet?

Last edited:

Invicta

Star Member
Jul 1, 2016
Hi Team,

Thanks,
Edmpr
I applied at a regular Service Canada location in Toronto on March 7 and the passport was supposed to be mailed out on April 4. Of course that did not happen. I called yesterday and was told that "they are still working on it".

I would say that you should give them a call to make sure your application is okay.

Reactions: edmpr