+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Apr 7, 2022
Has anyone had any experience with getting their passport mailed from the Passport Center back to the US on a Saturday? I submitted my application by mail from US on March 4, and they received it on March 7 but the entire process has been so delayed that I asked for my file to cancelled and to have my passport sent back (I have a flight on Sunday April 10 and my passport is still valid). After a long 10 hours of being put on hold over and over again, I was finally told that they would ship out my passport tomorrow (Friday) morning by Fedex International Priority. My question is if I have any hope of receiving my passport on Saturday? I've been so stressed out over this the past month. My address is in New York if that helps at all.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I would like to ask again: is having a ticket guarantees processing my application before my travel date? I am starting a new job abroad next month, and I have to buy tickets, give my notice here for my apartment, and book a place where I am going. I don't want to do all of this and be told not possible by passport Canada, be homeless here and lose $1000s of dollars in tickets and accommodations, and jeopardize my job.

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
I would like to ask again: is having a ticket guarantees processing my application before my travel date? I am starting a new job abroad next month, and I have to buy tickets, give my notice here for my apartment, and book a place where I am going. I don't want to do all of this and be told not possible by passport Canada, be homeless here and lose $1000s of dollars in tickets and accommodations, and jeopardize my job.
I think no one could give you the answer here. Some told that they could get a passport done in 2 days, even in the same day. But it is completely subject to Service Canada/Passport Office. You may have higher chance to get your passport as fast as they can.

Reactions: CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I think no one could give you the answer here. Some told that they could get a passport done in 2 days, even in the same day. But it is completely subject to Service Canada/Passport Office. You may have higher chance to get your passport as fast as they can.
I am tied with too many variables and constants here, and I am not sure what to do at this point. I am losing hope I could get my passport in the next 2 weeks. If it was a vacation trip I would have postponed it.

Elchinec

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
Buy a ticket for next Thursday, the one you can refund. Call them, transfer your file to a local office and go pick up your passport on Wednesday

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Alrighty then. I just joined the queue.

Application submitted to Mississauga (CP wouldn't let me send tot he courier address in Gatineau) April 6.

Based on what everyone is going through, I can probably expect my passport sometime around July!

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
I am tied with too many variables and constants here, and I am not sure what to do at this point. I am losing hope I could get my passport in the next 2 weeks. If it was a vacation trip I would have postponed it.
Buy a ticket for next Thursday, the one you can refund. Call them, transfer your file to a local office and go pick up your passport on Wednesday
I would agree with with @Elchinec. it also depends on where you live and what is your local office and how much swamped they are.
I think local offices will try very hard to get your passport if you have a ticket booked and travel planned. if you live in a major city which has multiple passport offices it will help as well. local office will first get the request to transfer (mostly next business day after you have asked to transfer). if local office can meet your travel date and have capacity they will call you confirm with you (also collect credit card number for that transfer fees etc). then they will accept the transfer which i assume takes 2 or 3 days (probably to get the paper forms,photos etc). post that they will process the application and can produce passport even same day if there are no issues with the application. Hope this helps

Feb 7, 2022
hello Everyone, I am new to this thread. I did a walk in application for Canadian passport. At that time the service Canada agent told me that they are going to dispatch my passport no later than April 05th and I have to call them in case I am not able to receive it by 12th April. So guys just want to know the timeline provided to me holds good or its just there general response. I am from Montreal.

Elchinec

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
App Sent: March 14
App delivered: March 15
CC charged: April 7
Travel Date: April 29

Will wait till April 12 before calling in again

Reactions: Klamm

Klamm

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
App Sent: March 14
App delivered: March 15
CC charged: April 7
Travel Date: April 29

Will wait till April 12 before calling in again
Glad that your app is moving forward. At the same time, it really frustrates me to see even in this forum, which admittedly mostly comprises of people with complicated cases, I am among the very few who have not seen any movements after 5+ weeks. At least, most people have their CC charged after two weeks, which shows "something" is happening. My apps seem to be dead and gone!

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
I feel you. My recommendation is go ahead taking your chance to ask for express service with proof of travel. The challenge now is getting connected with them via the phone. I tried many times today but no way

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
It's something I am entertaining. Can I cancel the ticket on the same day of the flight if they give me the passport on the flight's date? On the other hand, I am thinking something cheap like a bus ticket to NY is safer in case the passport came on the same day of the travel and a refund is not possible.