+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Elchinec

Star Member
Nov 19, 2018
It's something I am entertaining. Can I cancel the ticket on the same day of the flight if they give me the passport on the flight's date? On the other hand, I am thinking something cheap like a bus ticket to NY is safer in case the passport came on the same day of the travel and a refund is not possible.
Just buy smth. When you buy the ticket it will show you the conditions. You probably can cancel it. Or take an old ticket, edit it in PDF editor and show it :)))

Reactions: CaBeaver

Alberto87

Apr 7, 2022
Hello,
I sent 3 passport applications in one envelope.
App Sent: March 7
App delivered: March 8
CC charged: March 30 ( 2 applications )
Travel day: May 7
I am still waiting. No calls.
I don't know why just 2 applications has been charged.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Would passport Canada ask for a reason of travel if you gave them a ticket? It's sad we are discussion this. I am not comfortable going about it, but they left no other choice because of their incompetency

Reactions: Alberto87

Akki045

Star Member
Jun 12, 2017
Hi All, I received my passport today :) . I am yet to receive my certificate. I am a BC resident and i sent my application to Mississauga address.
Here is my timeline:
Application delivered : March 4th
CC Charged : April 1st
Passport Received : April 7th
Certificate : Yet to receive

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi All, I received my passport today :) . I am yet to receive my certificate. I am a BC resident and i sent my application to Mississauga address.
Here is my timeline:
Application delivered : March 4th
CC Charged : April 1st
Passport Received : April 7th
Certificate : Yet to receive
Wow. Quick. Congrats. What office processed your file/charged your CC? and did they call the guarantor/references?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Glad that your app is moving forward. At the same time, it really frustrates me to see even in this forum, which admittedly mostly comprises of people with complicated cases, I am among the very few who have not seen any movements after 5+ weeks. At least, most people have their CC charged after two weeks, which shows "something" is happening. My apps seem to be dead and gone!
I understand your frustration. If it's of any consolation, my CC was charged almost 4 weeks ago, and still nothing. They can charge CC and print the passport in a span of few days, i.e., CC charge means little if anything.

Reactions: nickmalik and Klamm

action.me

May 7, 2021
Would passport Canada ask for a reason of travel if you gave them a ticket? It's sad we are discussion this. I am not comfortable going about it, but they left no other choice because of their incompetency
DO NOT try to edit pdf and produce it to a govt agency like Service Canada because that constitutes fraud.
Drop 20 bucks on a Greyhound ticket, reason for travel can be business/pleasure or whatever. Personally, I won't even worry about canceling that ticket as it's only 20 bucks but you can try once you have your passport in hand.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
DO NOT try to edit pdf and produce it to a govt agency like Service Canada because that constitutes fraud.
Drop 20 bucks on a Greyhound ticket, reason for travel can be business/pleasure or whatever. Personally, I won't even worry about canceling that ticket as it's only 20 bucks but you can try once you have your passport in hand.
When I said I am not comfortable doing this, I meant buying a cheap ticket to the US to force them to process my application, not about editing a PDF file, which is something I would never do. BTW, the cheapest ticket is $90 not $20. So, basically if I asked for a file transfer, I would have to pay $90 for the ticket, $45 transfer fees, and then express fees $50 or urgent processing $100. So, extra $200 something for them to do their job on my application that I submitted more 2 months before my travel's date.

Last edited:
Reactions: sk000

T0r0nt022

Apr 7, 2022
Glad that your app is moving forward. At the same time, it really frustrates me to see even in this forum, which admittedly mostly comprises of people with complicated cases, I am among the very few who have not seen any movements after 5+ weeks. At least, most people have their CC charged after two weeks, which shows "something" is happening. My apps seem to be dead and gone!
What would be considered a "complicated" case? I can understand why the citizenship application process takes different processing times depending on the complexity of the applicants' background. But I thought the passport applications are all the same and you are either applying with a birth certificate or citizenship certificate. I thought all applications should be processed on "First In First Out" basis. What Am I missing?

116sg17

Jan 26, 2021
When I said I am not comfortable doing this, I meant buying a cheap ticket to the US to force them to process my application, not about editing a PDF file, which is something I will never do. BTW, the cheapest ticket is $90 not $20. So, basically if I asked for a file transfer, I would have to pay $90 for the ticket, $45 transfer fees, and then express fees $50 or urgent processing $100. So, extra $200 something for them to do their job on my application that I submitted more 2 months before my travel's date.
Book a Air Canada ECONOMY COMFORT ticket to anywhere in the US. These are 100% refundable without any charges (speaking from personal experience). You can manage (cancel) the booking completely online without waiting over the phone.

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Hope this is the right place to post this; has anyone's guarantor recieved a callback from the passport office? Mine called the office just over a week ago but is yet to recieve a callback. What is another alternative option to get my guarantor to verify to the passport office?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
What would be considered a "complicated" case? I can understand why the citizenship application process takes different processing times depending on the complexity of the applicants' background. But I thought the passport applications are all the same and you are either applying with a birth certificate or citizenship certificate. I thought all applications should be processed on "First In First Out" basis. What Am I missing?
Not true, unfortunately. Some applications take longer than others.

riley2015

Aug 21, 2015
I may be in the minority, but it amazes me what I see here about buying refundable tickets just to get a passport in hand. If people actually have urgent travel requirements they will have valid proof of travel already I assume and be processed accordingly.

Everyone that buys a refundable ticket just to get their passport quicker and then not travel really needs to think about WHY the passport office is processing slower than normal. Think about the world events and think whether getting your hands on a passport, that will eventually come, is a priority vs. them focusing on their standard processing queues or actual urgent requests. I am waiting for my passport, and I'd love the option to travel, but honestly... priorities people. Just look at the news.

I think this thread deviates from it's purpose of showing timelines (see subject of thread) and wonder what moderators think?