+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I received a call this afternoon saying I need to resubmit my application as I forgot to include my middle name and there was an error with the guarantor. They’ve had it since February 10th and charged my credit card March 10th..I’m quite frantic as I have to wait for a service Canada rep to call about an in person appointment. I’m literally in tears right now!
You mentioned earlier your passport was in production, as they told you when you called. I am surprised

UnBip

Jan 28, 2021
I figured that's why they immediately leave a notice and don't attempt to deliver the package directly. Interestingly enough, not all mailmen do the same thing, as some applicants received it directly. I think after 5pm would be safer to go, which is usually the last mail collection of the day, I believe.
You guess right, I went to check online with the number on the delivery notice and qt 4:20 it updated. I would have rather have the delivery person tell me go after 5:00 to be safe. But it is what it is.
I have my certificate and passport in hands now.

Code:
Feb 21st : Passport application sent to Gatineau via Xpresspost
Feb 22nd : Passport application delivered to mailroom in Ottawa
Mar 11th : CC charged
Mar 24th : Passport and Certificate received
Now to start the Nexus application (Must be a masochist... haha)

Reactions: CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
You guess right, I went to check online with the number on the delivery notice and qt 4:20 it updated. I would have rather have the delivery person tell me go after 5:00 to be safe. But it is what it is.
I have my certificate and passport in hands now.

Code:
Feb 21st : Passport application sent to Gatineau via Xpresspost
Feb 22nd : Passport application delivered to mailroom in Ottawa
Mar 11th : CC charged
Mar 24th : Passport and Certificate received
Now to start the Nexus application (Must be a masochist... haha)
Congrats. I have a similar timeline. CC charged 10 days ago. Still waiting a notice in my mailbox or direct delivery. Hopefully tomorrow or early next week. Fingers crossed

Reactions: UnBip

PEQ2013

Star Member
Oct 10, 2013
My journey is finally over. Here is my timeline:

Application sent (to Gatineau): Feb 20
Delivered (in Ottawa): Feb 22
CC charged: March 11
Delivery notice in mailbox: March 23
Collected passport and citizenship certificate in one package: March 24

Neither the guarantor nor the references were contacted.

Good luck everyone!

Val-Kon

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
Hi, I got my canadian citizenship on February 15, 2022. I sent my application to Passport Office on February 28, 2022. As of today, my cc has not been charged yet. Does it mean that no one has started working on my application yet?

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Hi, I got my canadian citizenship on February 15, 2022. I sent my application to Passport Office on February 28, 2022. As of today, my cc has not been charged yet. Does it mean that no one has started working on my application yet?
Yes. They usually charge cc when they start working on your file. It’s very rare they start the process and then charge cc.

Reactions: Val-Kon

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
Wife and I :

App sent: 25 Jan
Delivered: 26 Jan
CC Charged: 23 Feb ($160 x 2)
My PP delivered: 7 Mar

As of today, nothing for my wife, I can't get anyone on the phone... my call gets dropped randomly after waiting on hold for 2 hours+.

Is it common for them to process applications separately even though everything was sent in the same envelope ?

We are traveling in 3 weeks :confused:
Guess what guys ? still NOTHING .... we called twice, alwasy the same answer "it's under examination" they only offer us to pay $45 and transfer the file to some local office (without any guarantee obviously). Gonna be 2 months soon meeh.

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
My journey is finally over. Here is my timeline:

Application sent (to Gatineau): Feb 20
Delivered (in Ottawa): Feb 22
CC charged: March 11
Delivery notice in mailbox: March 23
Collected passport and citizenship certificate in one package: March 24

Neither the guarantor nor the references were contacted.

Good luck everyone!
Congratulations!!!

Do you recall entering your travel date in your application or you chose ‘Unknown’ ?

gcamp

Mar 22, 2022
Do you mean you entered your name in the application differently than how it appears on the certificate? Also, what error there was with the guarantor? Like they answered wrong questions, or the details they entered are wrong?
Yes. They usually charge cc when they start working on your file. It’s very rare they start the process and then charge cc.
My cc got charged on the 10th and then I got a call today that i have to resubmit my application due to errors.

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Hello All,

Forgive me if my question is not relevant for this section.

Would you please kindly let me know that how long for officer in the passport office will take to call me/us to schedule an appointment for passport renewal and new passport applicaiton?

I am planning to visit Chicago with my family on April 8th to see mother in law who is not well. My children passport were expired last year September and I noticed that last week only. Since in person service need appointment, I have submitted the request through their eService portal. They have mentioned that they will me in 2 business days. However, I did not receive any calls for more than 7 days now.

1. Is anyone went through this appointment scheduling process and got any response from Passport officer
2. If I don't get any call next week, Can I go to the passport office without appointment and show the hotel booking as proof to renew my kids passport?

I am in Ajax. Ontario.

Please let me know.

Thank you
Not to discourage you, It would be very stressful to go to the passport office/Service Canada without an appointment unless you are very lucky or your office is quiet which is very unlikely. They are likely to send you back without taking your application.

I did get a call for in person appointment on the 3rd business day but I decided to send via mail .

It is very unfortunate that they didn’t call back to setup an appointment for you. Try to reach out to them on 1-800-567-6868 (expect to wait up to 4 hours) and explain your situation. They can book an appointment for in person express service.

Good luck

Reactions: MithuShun

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
My cc got charged on the 10th and then I got a call today that i have to resubmit my application due to errors.
That’s weird. Why would they even charge cc when your application has errors. They could have you simply fax/xpresspost just the first page of the application or even a new application with errors fixed

Reactions: CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I also wonder why they need a whole new application. I hope at least they can process the new application quickly. You said they will call you for in-person appointment. That would better than mailing it again.