+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
My application was received by Passport office on Feb 08, still no CC has been charged.

Did you had guarantor or you got statutory deceleration form from notary? (In my view that could only be the reason as I have called them several time for the reason and they told me every application is different)?
I have a guarantor, and everything is signed by them. Hopefully this weekend some movement happens for you.

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Some people get their credit card charged 4-5 weeks after and everything is fine
Hmm interesting. But doesn't early CC charge an indication things will move faster and those whose CC charge is delayed might be subject to some sort of scrutiny? I hope not. I saw some people get their CC charged on the weekends. So, fingers crossed mine is not farther away. I just don't want to be put in the position that I need to ask them to transfer my file to a local office for an urgent processing, and things get messy in the last few days of my travel, like not delivering my certificate on time.

taekwondo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
GTA
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa ...though based out of India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-08-2016
Is CC charge an indication everything is OK? My application was sent about 3 weeks ago, and still no CC charge :rolleyes: I saw people who applied with or after me getting their CC charged already. I wonder if this is a cause of worry
My App was delivered to Quebec on 11th Feb and till date no CC Charged or any response to my Status Query raised on 2nd March. I have a guarantor and when I called them 2 days back ...got a generic response " The file is under examination with no comments as of now regarding any issues with docs " . In Short ...I think there is no pattern and its all random . Hope it gets done for all of us soon. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: CaBeaver and tgman

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
My App was delivered to Quebec on 11th Feb and till date no CC Charged or any response to my Status Query raised on 2nd March. I have a guarantor and when I called them 2 days back ...got a generic response " The file is under examination with no comments as of now regarding any issues with docs " . In Short ...I think there is no pattern and its all random . Hope it gets done for all of us soon. Fingers crossed.
I don't understand what they are doing exactly. We provided them with the citizenship certificate, which took IRCC 27 months in my case to grant after years of scrutiny and examination, and also we provided the Passport Program with signed ID photocopies by the guarantor to prove our identities as they requested, but still we are still under examination for prolonged period of times for the passport?! Why? Doesn't make any sense to me not to grant the passport faster.

Reactions: taekwondo

eager

Jul 20, 2015
I don't understand what they are doing exactly. We provided them with the citizenship certificate, which took IRCC 27 months in my case to grant after years of scrutiny and examination, and also we provided the Passport Program with signed ID photocopies by the guarantor to prove our identities as they requested, but still we are still under examination for prolonged period of times for the passport?! Why? Doesn't make any sense to me not to grant the passport faster.
Exactly my thoughts.

Reactions: CaBeaver

action.me

May 7, 2021
If you really want it that bad, go book a ticket from Toronto to Buffalo for 20 bucks and call the Passport Service. They will expedite it.

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Update: CC charged
Application sent: Feb 7
Application reached: Feb 9
CC charged: March 9
Passport received: God knows

Finally, after 30 days since the application reached them, I got my credit card charged for me and my son.
Outrageously slow and ineffective. (20 business days processing time is an absolute bull crap) With that speed I assume it will take another couple of weeks to get the passport.
One thing noticed: Application was sent to Gatineau, but CC charge shows "Passport, Whitby". Why in the world it would end up there? I live in North York (Toronto). I assume this is an another example of their total disorganization, stupidity and waste of resources and our time. Damn it.
Update:
Citizenship certificate received: March 11.
Passport: not yet

Reactions: ftahir and CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
If you really want it that bad, go book a ticket from Toronto to Buffalo for 20 bucks and call the Passport Service. They will expedite it.
When I applied, I had in mind 30-35 days max and I would have my passport based on their announced processing time, which is 20 business days. It's been almost 3 weeks and nothing in sight yet. I won't go with the fake ticket route just to expedite my application because if I didn't actually have travel plans in April, I wouldn't worry so much. But my travel is still more than 25 business days away, so I cannot use that as an excuse to expedite my application. If I knew they would open for in-person applications on March 1st, I would have waited. This in-mail route is full of uncertainties.

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is a good sign that you application has been approved, and you should expect your passport early next week.
Hopefully. It's been LOOOONG overdue. I will keep posted. Hope yours will arrive soon too.

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
They just don't care. They don't know how much it takes to immigrate to another country, how hard it's to make a living, how to establish yourself in a foreign country and work your way up, how hard it is to be away for years from your loved ones. I know that they can say go back to your country if you don't like it, that's the only phrase they know. Fuck those who says this. Canada NEEDS immigrants, skilled people, it's not that they are so kind and doing us a favor, opening the doors to so many immigrants.
Putting emotions aside, the whole government bureaucracy is so inefficient, disorganized and cumbersome that it's getting to the point of ridiculousness. They only know how talk smart, bla bla bla sincerely believing that they have a moral authority to tell us how to live.
We have no options but to submit the papers and wait when they would be in mood to look at them and process. God damn it.
My god! You're so dramatic. The process to apply for a passport is the same for every citizen, whether you were born here or acquired citizenship after.
You keep complaining yet you're about to receive your passport with barely any delays

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
When I applied, I had in mind 30-35 days max and I would have my passport based on their announced processing time, which is 20 business days. It's been almost 3 weeks and nothing in sight yet. I won't go with the fake ticket route just to expedite my application because if I didn't actually have travel plans in April, I wouldn't worry so much. But my travel is still more than 25 business days away, so I cannot use that as an excuse to expedite my application. If I knew they would open for in-person applications on March 1st, I would have waited. This in-mail route is full of uncertainties.
I'm sure you'll get your passport before your trip. Stay positive

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I read at least two accounts that in-person counters in passport offices are not busy. If this is the case across the board, this means they are wasting resources by putting many idle agents doing little during the day. No wonder in-mail option takes this long.

ViktorG

Sep 14, 2020
Hi Guys,

One of the documents in the checklist is 'any valid Canadian travel document issued to you'.

I assume if it is my first Canadian passport and I don't have any Canadian travel documents, I can just skip that requirement.

Do I need to explain it in a letter? Please advise.