+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
It seems like Passport Canada is having backlog as well now - many people are probably renewing their passports so they can use it once the border fully reopens.

Reactions: carl321

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Where are you located?
I am just not sure why she gave me the date and still no charge…
It happens. The date is 20 business days from the date they opened your file and entered into the system. They gave me the same info when I applied. CC charge just means they are now actively working on your file.

Reactions: carl321

Tess90

Feb 18, 2020
It happens. The date is 20 business days from the date they opened your file and entered into the system. They gave me the same info when I applied. CC charge just means they are now actively working on your file.
I know, I was just confused about what they said about August 3

Tess90

Feb 18, 2020
Called again and another guy told me the same - it says August 3rd your passport will be mailed and that it’s normal that my card hasn’t been charged yet…

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
I know, I was just confused about what they said about August 3
It's just the anticipated date, I don't think it would be accurate because of the backlog. I was gonna share my processing timeline again but it seems like it's no longer representative. But I was charged on June 14th, certificates were sent out on June 16th, Passports were sent out on June 17th and everything arrived in my mailbox June 18th.

Tess90

Feb 18, 2020
It's just the anticipated date, I don't think it would be accurate because of the backlog. I was gonna share my processing timeline again but it seems like it's no longer representative. But I was charged on June 14th, certificates were sent out on June 16th, Passports were sent out on June 17th and everything arrived in my mailbox June 18th.
He said there is a commitment to this date whatever this means and he is the second person to tell me this. They both said there will only be a delay if there was something missing but I know I don’t really believe it either, will probably be calling again on August 3

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
I wanted to mail my application via Xpressport but unfortunately Canadapost (inside SDM) was closed by the time I reached (around 7 PM, Sat, July 3rd). I didn't even have letter size envelope as I was planning to use the Xpresspost envelope itself. So I just picked small passport application envelope available next to Canadapost counter, inserted my application in it after tri-folding (including citizenship certificate), bought the stamp from SDM and mailed it right away.

I took two risks that day :)
(a) Regular mail instead of Xpresspost
(b) Tri-folded Original certificate

I called Passport Canada over the last couple of days and finally they were able to find my file information in their system yesterday. Here's my timeline:

July 3rd: Application Sent via regular mail (from Toronto)
July 7th-9th: Application Received (Estimate no tracking)
July 20th: Applicated Opened/added in the system

CC is not charged yet, I will update the physical condition of my certificate and passport once I receive it (hopefully in a few weeks).
@Wash an My CC got charged today. Here's my updated timeline:

July 27th: CC Charged

Reactions: Wash an and Tess90

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto

Congrats! Do you know which office charged it?

sg02

Star Member
Jan 7, 2017
Congrats! Do you know which office charged it?
Its currently showing in my pending CC transactions "Passport $160" but I noticed a Zip code L1N 2L1 in details of the transaction.

It looks like: Passport Canada, Dundas Street East, Whitby, ON L1N 2L1 is processing my passport (or atleast charged my CC).

So I sent my application from Toronto, ON to Gatineau, QC and passport office must have sent it for processing from Gatineau, QC -> Whitby, ON. I will confirm it further once I receive my certificate and passport.

• Wow
Reactions: Tess90

mra711

Jun 21, 2021

How do you know when they opened your application?