+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

10zin

Jan 11, 2016
Did they call your references and guarantor?
No they didn't but Passport office called me a week earlier to verify my place of birth as I had two places indicated in my application (town and province) but they can enter only one.

Reactions: tgman

astha87

Nov 29, 2016
Hi all,
I have a question. I will be applying for a canadian passport soon and the rules are a bit confusing to me at this point.
a) can my sister-in-law's husband and my husband be my guarantors?
b) it is not clear from the website, but do the references need to be canadian citizens? or can PR holders be listed as references?
c) We are moving to calgary from waterloo, ON in 2 weeks. Is it okay if my references/guarantors are in ON when I apply for my passport from AB?

TIA

Last edited:
Reactions: engray

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi all,
I have a question. I will be applying for a canadian passport soon and the rules are a bit confusing to me at this point.
b) it is not clear from the website, but do the references need to be canadian citizens? or can PR holders be listed as references?
c) We are moving to calgary from waterloo, ON in 2 weeks. Is it okay if my references/guarantors are in ON when I apply for my passport from AB?

TIA
You need 1 gurantor and yes he/she can be a relative.

References do not need to be Canadians nor be in Canada, and they cannot be the same person who is acting as guarantor. They also cannot be a relative.
Also, it does not matter where you apply from within Canada.
Please read this page carefully:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html

Reactions: astha87

astha87

Nov 29, 2016
You need 1 gurantor and yes he/she can be a relative.

References do not need to be Canadians nor be in Canada, and they cannot be the same person who is acting as guarantor. They also cannot be a relative.
Also, it does not matter where you apply from within Canada.
Please read this page carefully:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html
Thank you for clarifying!
Much appreciated

kobbarinut

Feb 8, 2022
Hi all,

TIA
I hope this helps to answer your questions - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html

Reactions: astha87

Gabriella942

Feb 9, 2022
I applied for my first passport. Here is my timeline below:

Mailed in date: Jan 2
Delivered in Gatineau: Jan 6
CC charged: Jan 17
Online status request: Jan 22
Received status file in examination: Jan 25
Called to check the application status and got a file number: Feb 1
Sent another online status request: Feb 6

The agent couldn't tell me the estimated time it would take when I called on Feb 1. Currently still waiting for the passport and citizenship certificate. No status update yet.

• Sad
Reactions: CaBeaver

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016

The agent couldn't tell me the estimated time it would take when I called on Feb 1. Currently still waiting for the passport and citizenship certificate. No status update yet.
some people applied after 6th and they already have their passport what a mess, fill a complaint right away

Reactions: Gabriella942

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
Hello this question if for a friend of mine he is traveling next week Monday he called them requesting to transfer the file to local office on last Monday this week today he get a call from an agent asking him to come to office tomorrow with piece of ID and proof of travel(hotel booking) and he will pay extra fees, this issue is he forget to ask if he will get the passport tomorrow directly or he will wait again few day later?, caller was no caller ID no number to call back can anyone help from the people who did this.

dsanchez

Star Member
May 10, 2018
Hi all,

TIA
Question a - yes there's no restriction on guarantors as family members
Question b - I believe they have to be citizens since they must hold a valid Canadian passport which cannot have as a PR
Question c - shouldn't be a problem, but I imagine might make it more likely they review things a little closer

canadahopefully

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2014
Interview........
NA
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
Hello this question if for a friend of mine he is traveling next week Monday he called them requesting to transfer the file to local office on last Monday this week today he get a call from an agent asking him to come to office tomorrow with piece of ID and proof of travel(hotel booking) and he will pay extra fees, this issue is he forget to ask if he will get the passport tomorrow directly or he will wait again few day later?, caller was no caller ID no number to call back can anyone help from the people who did this.
He should get the passport same day or most likely they will give him a date to come and collect the passport in person

Reactions: yaacoub89

mystic203

Jan 18, 2022
Guys on the back of my photo for passport my guarantor signed but forgot to write my name! Picture is stamped by the studio is it gonna be an issue ?
This just happened to me. Forgot to write my name on the back of the stamped photo and they had to send back the application for it to get fixed.

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
He should get the passport same day or most likely they will give him a date to come and collect the passport in person
thanks he went today and paid the fees instead of giving him passport same day today they told him come tomorrow. which is ugly to go again but it is what it is.

canadahopefully

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2014
Interview........
NA
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2015
Here are my timelines:

Application delivered by Courier : Jan 07
Credit Card Charged : Jan 18
Requested for File Transfer due to Travel in less then 25 Business days: Feb 02
File Transferred to local Passport Office: Feb 10
Passport Collected: Feb 10.

Gabriella942

Feb 9, 2022

Finally received an email back with a tracking number today saying that the passport was mailed out yesterday. Hopefully it will arrive soon! @yaacoub89 Thank you! It took forever indeed.