Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

CherryKa

Aug 2, 2014
My small contribution as I reach the end of the journey:

- Family of 4 from Ontario
- Package sent by mail to Gatineau on Oct 22
- Received there on Oct 25
- Credit Card charged Oct 27
- Received Certificates and Passports back in the same envelope today Nov 15 - XpressPost, delivered at my door.

I had a travel date in my application for middle of December.

Good luck to all!
Congrats! I really wish I applied to Gatineau too. I thought choosing where to apply was not an option.

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
My small contribution as I reach the end of the journey:

- Family of 4 from Ontario
- Package sent by mail to Gatineau on Oct 22
- Received there on Oct 25
- Credit Card charged Oct 27
- Received Certificates and Passports back in the same envelope today Nov 15 - XpressPost, delivered at my door.

I had a travel date in my application for middle of December.

Good luck to all!
congrats! ❤

rhi

Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Aug-15
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
Nomination.....
06-July-15
AOR Received.
09-Nov-15
IELTS Request
Submitted with Package
File Transfer...
30-Nov-15
Med's Request
02-Feb-16
Med's Done....
5-Feb-16, ECAS updated 25-feb- 16
Passport Req..
DM on 3 mar 16 & PPR on 7 th march 16
VISA ISSUED...
15th Mar 16
LANDED..........
Very Soon
Hello Friends,

is there anyone here who applied in person at Service Canada for Canadian passport plz share your timeline.
I applied on Nov 4 and paid the fee at the same time and no update after that.
Plz share
Thanks

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
congrats! ❤
I'm getting excited because judging by your post and some others it seems like regular processing is taking about 14 business days from date the envelope is delivered to their mail room in Gatineau to passport in hand... and by that math I may have mine as early as Friday the 19th! very excited, will let everyone know when this 1st passport journey is complete! thank you for sharing! ❤

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
I'm glad I followed the advice here to call earlier in the process because the smallest bit of missing info can hold things up. They wanted employer physical address for one app and some extra name change info for the other that we sent together. They said that now the 20 business day deadline clock for them begins today now that the app is complete... so that delayed me by 12 business days already. But hopefully it'll wrap up soon since everything else was ok. But now have that info from them and our file numbers, etc so that helps. Plus they said the citizenship doc will arrive with my passport. yay!

Ellasky

Star Member
Jul 28, 2019
I received a delivery notice from CP today (even tho I was home…lol), it says the letter is from Ottawa. I’m thinking it’s probably my citizenship certificate. Or with a bit of luck it’s the actual passport! I’ll let you all know tomorrow

Reactions: princecharles77

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
I received a delivery notice from CP today (even tho I was home…lol), it says the letter is from Ottawa. I’m thinking it’s probably my citizenship certificate. Or with a bit of luck it’s the actual passport! I’ll let you all know tomorrow
ooh exciting! sending luck your way! ❤

Reactions: Ellasky

Mutenye

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
08-06-2016
Hi, I got a DM on Nov 2 Ottawa, and am waiting for the oath ceremony to start. I would like like to travel to Ireland before Christmas but am concerned about what would happen if my Oath is shortly before travelling around early December and issues with travelling before I have a Canadian passport in my hand. I was wondering what happens if I do travel using my Irish (EU) passport (Ireland allows dual citizenship) to leave Canada and come back on an Irish passport and reentering Canada. I was thinking to travel early December and return late February. I am able to work remote. I was thinking to apply for a Canadian passport using the Canadian embassy in Ireland potentially but am concerned about all the guarantors and references if I try and do that as I don't know any citizens of Canada in Ireland who can complete those elements of the passport application as I assume that's what I need to do when applying for a first time Canadian passport. So if that's not possible I'm not sure what happens. As I understand it, part of my oath ceremony is to relinquish my residency card hence my concern after reading some posts in this thread. Thanks

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
Hi, I got a DM on Nov 2 Ottawa, and am waiting for the oath ceremony to start. I would like like to travel to Ireland before Christmas but am concerned about what would happen if my Oath is shortly before travelling around early December and issues with travelling before I have a Canadian passport in my hand. I was wondering what happens if I do travel using my Irish (EU) passport (Ireland allows dual citizenship) to leave Canada and come back on an Irish passport and reentering Canada. I was thinking to travel early December and return late February. I am able to work remote. I was thinking to apply for a Canadian passport using the Canadian embassy in Ireland potentially but am concerned about all the guarantors and references if I try and do that as I don't know any citizens of Canada in Ireland who can complete those elements of the passport application as I assume that's what I need to do when applying for a first time Canadian passport. So if that's not possible I'm not sure what happens. As I understand it, part of my oath ceremony is to relinquish my residency card hence my concern after reading some posts in this thread. Thanks
sounds like you should wait and apply for your passport in person in Canada once you receive your proof of citizenship otherwise you may have a problem returning to Canada. You can mention your travel plans on your application and that should be enough time to get it completed. You could also call Passport Canada and/or Border Services to ask them for their advice. But from what I've read from Passport Canada it's better to delay travel til you have your passport than to have trouble getting home to Canada.

Mutenye

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
08-06-2016
sounds like you should wait and apply for your passport in person in Canada once you receive your proof of citizenship otherwise you may have a problem returning to Canada. You can mention your travel plans on your application and that should be enough time to get it completed. You could also call Passport Canada and/or Border Services to ask them for their advice. But from what I've read from Passport Canada it's better to delay travel til you have your passport than to have trouble getting home to Canada.
Thanks for the reply and advice. In an ideal situation I guess I'd stay in Canada alone for Christmas waiting for all this process and paperwork to work itself out but I have a sick parent I need to return home to. I don't believe it's an urgent processing situation yet but it's not an ideal situation. I'm just a bit in limbo as I don't have a date for my oath ceremony yet (I applied for citizenship over 18 months ago) so can't really plan in advance. My oath could be next year or in two weeks... I guess one question I have is this: can you get a first Canadian passport from a Canadian embassy abroad or must you be in Canada for that (assuming all the paperwork is completed with guarantors and references etc.) ? Thanks

princecharles77

Star Member
Feb 15, 2020
Thanks for the reply and advice. In an ideal situation I guess I'd stay in Canada alone for Christmas waiting for all this process and paperwork to work itself out but I have a sick parent I need to return home to. I don't believe it's an urgent processing situation yet but it's not an ideal situation. I'm just a bit in limbo as I don't have a date for my oath ceremony yet (I applied for citizenship over 18 months ago) so can't really plan in advance. My oath could be next year or in two weeks... I guess one question I have is this: can you get a first Canadian passport from a Canadian embassy abroad or must you be in Canada for that (assuming all the paperwork is completed with guarantors and references etc.) ? Thanks
I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah there is a process to apply from abroad. But there'd be a few complicated factors to deal with... you'd need to submit your original proof of citizenship, have your guarantor sign the documents, etc. If you feel confident you could do all that from abroad then it may not be a big deal. I'm doing that from the US, but I'm not in your situation, I'm a citizen by descent so already had my proof doc, etc I will say that having my uncle sign all the guarantor stuff from Canada and mail it in from that point was a bit nerve wracking but it ended up working out even despite a mail courier almost losing the parcel on the way to his house. I hope all works out ok for you and your family member and this info helps you when considering your options.

Reactions: Mutenye