+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

alu1234

Jan 25, 2017
My experience:

I went to passport office in downtown Toronto without appointment on 20th Feb. I spent 1.5 hours outside and 2.5 hours within the building.

My pickup date was 5th March. But the staus didn't change even after another couple of days.
I went there in afternoon on 7th March anyways. I was told the passport just got printed and asked to wait.
Then the agent told me he didn't have permission to go inside printing room. Then the main boss went inside and came back with my passport. I could literally smell the ink!!

Finally became a Canadian in true sense. It felt great when I had passport in my hand!

The status only got changed on 8th March. They are dealing with huge rush nowadays, I guess.

Reactions: fallcolours

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Oh okay....that makes sense now! Thank you :) I was just helping out others here in case they do want to get an appointment! No hard feelings :D
np. fyi, when i say walk-in during opening hours for Hamilton/Kitchener, I mean it takes 15-20 mins, unlike other offices. Even if you go later in the day, you get done in about 60-90 minutes.

Reactions: adstarscream732

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Perhaps for some it will make sense to drive all the way to hamilton or kitchener instead of just going to one in Toronto and waiting some time. Perhaps - what with one hour + driving each way, finding your way around a different city, parking, etc.

But seriously: you can also just go to one in Toronto. On the subway. Or drive if you prefer.

Service Canada and the Passport Office are different things. They are often co-located in one building, but they are different agencies that provide different services related to getting a passport. Judging by what service you got, you applied at a passport office - full service, options for delivery, urgent processing, etc. (Repeating myself, but Service Canada basically helps fill out the form, makes sure it seems to be in order, and then sends it for you to the passport office. Other than the assistance completing it, it's basically the same as mailing it.)
yep. they are both Service Canada. Just that the 'passport office' is identified as a passport office (the board outside does read 'Service Canada').

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Perhaps for some it will make sense to drive all the way to hamilton or kitchener instead of just going to one in Toronto and waiting some time. Perhaps - what with one hour + driving each way, finding your way around a different city, parking, etc.

But seriously: you can also just go to one in Toronto. On the subway. Or drive if you prefer.

Service Canada and the Passport Office are different things. They are often co-located in one building, but they are different agencies that provide different services related to getting a passport. Judging by what service you got, you applied at a passport office - full service, options for delivery, urgent processing, etc. (Repeating myself, but Service Canada basically helps fill out the form, makes sure it seems to be in order, and then sends it for you to the passport office. Other than the assistance completing it, it's basically the same as mailing it.)
yep. i agree. if you are in Toronto, wouldn't recommend Hamilton/Kitchener. I live 35 minutes from the Hamilton office so it made sense instead of waiting for 3 hours at the Missi office.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
yep. they are both Service Canada. Just that the 'passport office' is identified as a passport office (the board outside does read 'Service Canada').
No, they are separate things (even if for msot the difference isn't significant). Service Canada is a program under the employment ministry, as a single point of government contact agency , and the passport offices are part of IRCC. Sure, they're both government, but they do different things. I believe Service Canada actually just sends the passport application on to the passport office (I think to centralized processing centres but don't know for sure), but at any rate, final decision is by IRCC officers.

Now for most people who just want to apply for passports - thankfully - it doesn't matter except that they provide different services.

It's described pretty well here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/submit-passport-service-canada.html

Where it's most relevant is that the urgent and express applications are only done at the Passport Office (not Service Canada), which I believe includes all pick-up applications i.e. if you apply through Service Canada, you can only get it sent to you by mail. (Side note, I see timeframes on the website now for these which I think change, or at least the publisehd delays were different at least one time when I applied in last 2 years.)

Note, I am not saying the service canada passport program or the services they provide are inferior - it's perfectly fine and for most is more than enough. But don't go to service canada if you need a service that only the passport offices provide.

Last edited:

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
No, they are separate things (even if for msot the difference isn't significant). Service Canada is a program under the employment ministry, as a single point of government contact agency , and the passport offices are part of IRCC. Sure, they're both government, but they do different things. I believe Service Canada actually just sends the passport application on to the passport office (I think to centralized processing centres but don't know for sure), but at any rate, final decision is by IRCC officers.

Now for most people who just want to apply for passports - thankfully - it doesn't matter except that they provide different services.

It's described pretty well here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/submit-passport-service-canada.html

Where it's most relevant is that the urgent and express applications are only done at the Passport Office (not Service Canada), which I believe includes all pick-up applications i.e. if you apply through Service Canada, you can only get it sent to you by mail. (Side note, I see timeframes on the website now for these which I think change, or at least the publisehd delays were different at least one time when I applied in last 2 years.)

Note, I am not saying the service canada passport program or the services they provide are inferior - it's perfectly fine and for most is more than enough. But don't go to service canada if you need a service that only the passport offices provide.
yeah but why is there a Service Canada name board outside the passport offices? Please explain.

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Don't know. Don't much care, as I haven't seen what you're referring to. I've explained why the difference matters, and sources that support this.
It's a branding issue where they likely want to differentiate between regular Service Canada centres and Service Canada passport offices, but have done it poorly (could be a legacy issue as well).

Check this link: About the Passport program - Canada.ca

"Service Canada delivers in-person passport services in passport offices and at Service Canada Centres in Canada, provides information, receives applications and validates identity."

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's a branding issue where they likely want to differentiate between regular Service Canada centres and Service Canada passport offices, but have done it poorly (could be a legacy issue as well)
Okay, if you prefer, they are the same, but different? Does this phrasing improve on things? What point are you trying to make?

Again, for users, if they want to apply for their passport, they can go to either, but they should be aware that for certain services (eg urgent and express and as otherwise described above), they will need to go to the passport office, not 'Service Canada qua Service Canada.'

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
Okay, if you prefer, they are the same, but different? Does this phrasing improve on things? What point are you trying to make?

Again, for users, if they want to apply for their passport, they can go to either, but they should be aware that for certain services (eg urgent and express and as otherwise described above), they will need to go to the passport office, not 'Service Canada qua Service Canada.'
Completely agree with you on this, that is the reason I posted the below:

Quick update for those looking to book appointments at Passport Service Offices - they are offered a month in the future. (Eg: today is March 6th, you will most likely get an appointment for April 5th). The reason I know this is because I booked two appointments a day apart, just as a back up in April, 6 days after my Oath.

Appointments open at 7 PM sharp and remain available until 9 PM or so (at least from what I have seen, not sure if they get filled or the office closes them).

Book only at Passport Service Offices because you may get your passport way faster from there.

TIA.

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW

i dont think urgency was ever the issue when I made my post. People can read. They should know that for urgent applications you must go to what they want to refer to as 'the passport office' with the 'Service Canada' board plastered outside.

My last post mainly wanted to highlight how you went to great lengths to make a point which was about 'winning an argument' versus actually being interested in knowing wtf's going on with the whole Service Canada centre v Service Canada passport office language. Sigh. The internet, just like f*cking life, is a tiring place.

• Sad
Reactions: armoured

Zay11

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hey, what’s the best time to visit 74 Victoria st, for passport in the morning ? Anyone had good experience.

Last edited:

coolkarni.m

Apr 17, 2023
Hi everyone, can you apply for express passport at the Lawrence Square Service Canada Centre? If not, is walk-in allowed at North York passport office (4900 Yonge St.)? TIA!

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
Hi everyone, can you apply for express passport at the Lawrence Square Service Canada Centre? If not, is walk-in allowed at North York passport office (4900 Yonge St.)? TIA!
Please find a Passport Office on this website - for express passport it is better to apply at a designated Service Canada Passport Office.

I don't think Lawrence Square is a Passport Office, it is a regular office that offers only Delivery service (20+ days). From what I know, this is where you should apply for Express service.

Passport Office
Joseph Shepard Building
4900 Yonge Street, 1st floor
North York, Ontario

Walk Ins are allowed at all Service Canada locations!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
i dont think urgency was ever the issue when I made my post. People can read. They should know that for urgent applications you must go to what they want to refer to as 'the passport office' with the 'Service Canada' board plastered outside.

My last post mainly wanted to highlight how you went to great lengths to make a point which was about 'winning an argument' versus actually being interested in knowing wtf's going on with the whole Service Canada centre v Service Canada passport office language. Sigh. The internet, just like f*cking life, is a tiring place.
What an idiotic post.

I made clear from the start that they are different things, with different names, and WHY it is useful to go to one instead of the other (if it applies).

You say they 'should know that'. They WOULD know that if they'd simply read my posts that pointed out this difference. Your additional contribution added exaclty zero value.

Waytago.

• Haha