+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

MaggieJP

Aug 20, 2020
How long ago was this? Which office or metro area?

Not contradicting you, just last I'd heard/followed the lines early am had mostly disappeared (or at least declined to really modest numbers). Mind when I did the first time, it was a couple hundred people by opening at 8.30, and those arriving after about 10 am were being told no chance that day.
Not long ago. It was in late Jan this year, at Calgary downtown. I just saw there were more than 80 persons in the line, but of cause not all of them were for the passport application. It was a Service Canada, it offered other services there for sure. I was just thinking, if I were joining the line, it would be a long time of waiting.
BTW, you can read the reviews about the wait time on Google map.

Reactions: armoured

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
There is a passport office in the same building where I attended my oath ceremony. When I arrived for the ceremony at around 7am on that day, I was curious to see how many people were lining up at the passport office. There were more than 80 persons in the line, as early as 7am.....
I think a lot of people who couldn't get the appointments would try their luck by walking-in.
for those looking for quick passport deliveries, take the express pickup option. Costs 20 bucks more. Passport services are uber fast some times of the year, and ultra ducking slow other times.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Not long ago. It was in late Jan this year, at Calgary downtown. I just saw there were more than 80 persons in the line, but of cause not all of them were for the passport application. It was a Service Canada, it offered other services there for sure. I was just thinking, if I were joining the line, it would be a long time of waiting.
BTW, you can read the reviews about the wait time on Google map.
Ah, I was referring to only lines for the specific passport offices; they're separate in the places I've been - including the lines in early morning. I see some are saying on my local one that sometimes there are no lines a few hours after opening - suggesting the capacity isn't so bad. YMMV.

Reactions: MaggieJP

MaggieJP

Aug 20, 2020
Ah, I was referring to only lines for the specific passport offices; they're separate in the places I've been - including the lines in early morning. I see some are saying on my local one that sometimes there are no lines a few hours after opening - suggesting the capacity isn't so bad. YMMV.
Gotcha, I didn't know the lines would be separated. Just the long queue made me feel hopeless. XD
Anyways, make an appointment if you can, it would be a lot more comfortable. ;)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Gotcha, I didn't know the lines would be separated. Just the long queue made me feel hopeless. XD
Anyways, make an appointment if you can, it would be a lot more comfortable. ;)
sure, nice if you have an appointment. Just saying that if it's hard getting an appointment, and there's any urgency, lining up may be most efficient.

Also want to stress to others: make sure you are at/lining up for passport office. Service canada is often co-located in same buildings as the passport office, but as far as I know, all they do is help you fill out the form and then basically they just send it to the passport office. Which is perfectly fine if you're in no rush and want it returned to you by mail (and you want the assistance filling it out). Many more options available at the passport office itself - it's a separate agency.

Reactions: fallcolours

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
depends on where you are and which pp office you're planning to go to. No need for an appointment. It took me 15 mins back in November and it took my wife an hour in February.
Truth, but when I was trying it happened for all Passport Offices in GTHA including Kitchener and London offices.

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
what happened to all passport offices?
Quick update for those looking to book appointments at Passport Service Offices - they are offered a month in the future. (Eg: today is March 6th, you will most likely get an appointment for April 5th). The reason I know this is because I booked two appointments a day apart, just as a back up in April, 6 days after my Oath.

Appointments open at 7 PM sharp and remain available until 9 PM or so (at least from what I have seen, not sure if they get filled or the office closes them).

Book only at Passport Service Offices because you may get your passport way faster from there.

TIA.
This ^^^^

smithy2024

Star Member
Jan 2, 2024
Hello everyone,

Applied in person at a service Canada this week for standard service so will update when I get any updates :)

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
This ^^^^
yeah so what i said is you don't need these appointments. If you're in the GTA, just go to Hamilton (Hamilton has 2, I prefer the Queenston Rd office) or Kitchener offices early in the day and you'll be out in no time. No need for an appointment.

Last year I had my passport delivered in 12 days (business-non-business included). This year my wife's passport is waiting to be picked up by Canada Post after 15 days. We applied at a Service Canada passport office both times.

Pecks

Dec 10, 2019
Category........
CEC
Hi everyone,

I thought to share my timeline as I have been following this thread.

I submitted my passport application in person at the North York passport office on February 20th for standard service.

I didn’t book an appointment, I just did a walk-in. It took about 3hrs before getting attended to. The expected delivery date provided to me was March 4th.

I noticed my tracker status changed from processing to mailed out on March 6th and my passport was delivered today, March 8th.

Thank GOD!!!!

Last edited:

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
yeah so what i said is you don't need these appointments. If you're in the GTA, just go to Hamilton (Hamilton has 2, I prefer the Queenston Rd office) or Kitchener offices early in the day and you'll be out in no time. No need for an appointment.

Last year I had my passport delivered in 12 days (business-non-business included). This year my wife's passport is waiting to be picked up by Canada Post after 15 days. We applied at a Service Canada passport office both times.

Oh okay....that makes sense now! Thank you :) I was just helping out others here in case they do want to get an appointment! No hard feelings :D

Zay11

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hi, can we use Health card ( Ontario ) for "documents to support identity" in passport application form ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Perhaps for some it will make sense to drive all the way to hamilton or kitchener instead of just going to one in Toronto and waiting some time. Perhaps - what with one hour + driving each way, finding your way around a different city, parking, etc.

But seriously: you can also just go to one in Toronto. On the subway. Or drive if you prefer.

We applied at a Service Canada passport office both times.
Service Canada and the Passport Office are different things. They are often co-located in one building, but they are different agencies that provide different services related to getting a passport. Judging by what service you got, you applied at a passport office - full service, options for delivery, urgent processing, etc. (Repeating myself, but Service Canada basically helps fill out the form, makes sure it seems to be in order, and then sends it for you to the passport office. Other than the assistance completing it, it's basically the same as mailing it.)

Reactions: adstarscream732