+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

kaustubhsaha

Aug 9, 2018
Has anyone recently gotten their passport file transferred to the local office for urgent processing? I did it on 7th October and have not heard anything from the office yet. I have a travel date of 31st October
Thanks!
Got my passport yesterday after getting file transferred to the local office for urgent processing

Here are the timelines:
1. Original in person application date ( at Service Canada, Etobicoke) : July 11th - the acknowledgement/receipt mentioned the expected dispatch date as September 14th
2. Called on September 20th : Was told that processing timeline is approximately 17 weeks and I can expect passport by mid November
3. Called on October 11th : Told them that I need to travel urgently (Nov 1st week) and cant wait till November mid. They transferred the file to passport office in at 74 Victoria St, Toronto. I was told that I'd receive a call 48 hours before travel date.
4. Received the passport yesterday through mail (didnt get any call from passport office)

fafa3002

Star Member
Sep 2, 2017
Got my passport yesterday after getting file transferred to the local office for urgent processing

Here are the timelines:
1. Original in person application date ( at Service Canada, Etobicoke) : July 11th - the acknowledgement/receipt mentioned the expected dispatch date as September 14th
2. Called on September 20th : Was told that processing timeline is approximately 17 weeks and I can expect passport by mid November
3. Called on October 11th : Told them that I need to travel urgently (Nov 1st week) and cant wait till November mid. They transferred the file to passport office in at 74 Victoria St, Toronto. I was told that I'd receive a call 48 hours before travel date.
4. Received the passport yesterday through mail (didnt get any call from passport office)
Congrats! When your file was transferred to the local office, did you have to resubmit the application form/photos?

Dee3186

Aug 8, 2022
Yes but what about processing time they told you for urgent passport?
sorry, mine is actually express. not urgent. My travel date is on 29th Oct, So when the officer saw that the date was 29th, she immediately said, 'ok, you can pick it up on 28th'

Dee3186

Aug 8, 2022
Interesting, I thought they had separate queues inside if you were there for urgent passport. Did they say that you'll get it by tomorrow evening?
sorry, mine is actually express. not urgent. I'll get mine next week. Yeah I thought I read that too that queue for express and urgent are different but it didnt happen today. Until I got to the first counter, no one asked anyone if anyone has immediate travel plans. The only question they asked while we were waiting outside was if someone already applied through mail or requested for office transfer. Only they went into a different queue AFTER entering into the building.

hizzoscott

Jan 21, 2012
hello all visited the North York PP office fri Oct 7 th around 11:15 am. no proof of travel but i did have a declaration for filled out for driving across the border for American thanksgiving. the first line took maybe half hour. went upstairs to first room i was in and out of there. in all i left around 2:45-3. the receipt says mailout date oct 2th. yesterday i came home to Canada post slips and went to pick up the PP today for myself and 2 children. mu guarantor wasnt called at all. for me citizenship was brutal but the PP wasnt bad at all . headed to buffalo this weekend to do my first cross.

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
Hypothetical question that may apply to me:

So I have travel plans in mid Dec and I'm planning out different scenarios with which I can get my passport. If I have an in person oath, can I take that cert to the passport office the same day to apply for my passport using urgent processing? Do I have to wait a few days for their systems to update?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hypothetical question that may apply to me:

So I have travel plans in mid Dec and I'm planning out different scenarios with which I can get my passport. If I have an in person oath, can I take that cert to the passport office the same day to apply for my passport using urgent processing? Do I have to wait a few days for their systems to update?
Perhaps a day or 2. As long as online status is updated to something like ‘Complete’ and a line saying…..you became a canadian citizen on [date] so then you should be ok.
Get the officer to update system by requesting them after the ceremony.
If oath is online u will hav to wait for certificate to arrive in the mail by canadapost

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
Perhaps a day or 2. As long as online status is updated to something like ‘Complete’ and a line saying…..you became a canadian citizen on [date] so then you should be ok.
Get the officer to update system by requesting them after the ceremony.
If oath is online u will hav to wait for certificate to arrive in the mail by canadapost
But if it's in person and I have a citizenship cert then do I still need to wait for the status to update?

corolla110

Star Member
Dec 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there anyone got their PP recently with applying without a travel date ? can you share your timeline please. Just want to get an idea on how long will it take for my August application to process.
thanks!

BreakingBad

Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......
Is there anyone got their PP recently with applying without a travel date ? can you share your timeline please. Just want to get an idea on how long will it take for my August application to process.
thanks!
I went for In Person on Oct 19. The agent said I can Pick up my passport on Nov 5.
I told her I need it before Oct-27 and I have a tickets for the travel date.
She said you have to apply for Express and It will be 50$ more and pick up date changed to something early.

So if you go for In-person it will be around 2 weeks at present.
Hope this helps.

BreakingBad

Oct 3, 2015
Mexico
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico VO
NOC Code......
But if it's in person and I have a citizenship cert then do I still need to wait for the status to update?
You can directly go to Passport office after oath. Provided you fill app and get guarantor sign etc.

Sometime back I went to service Canada for some renewal. They said our systems are down plz come back later.

The possibility of something like that happening is more likely than the passport agent trying to verify the Citizenship Certificate and not finding it in the system.