Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Are they opening up the passport offices to regular services without requiring appointments and proof of travel?? If not, it doesn’t change much.
I thought people are still lining up at passport offices daily as well as at services canada locations.

Shinra_Tensei

Star Member
May 5, 2022
I hope this is a good sign. The statistics page you linked to in your other post also shows declining number of new passport applications received and passports delivered exceeding number of applications received, for the first time in September. Looks like they are progressing on catching up with the backlog now that people are done with their summer vacations.

The layout of this processing time page has changed as well:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/processing-times.html
There used to be a 3rd column for mail-in applications. The reference to 17 weeks has been replaced by "Due to high volumes, processing times may be longer than usual."

The page to submit a request to check the status of our passport applications also now says to wait at least 5 business days after you submit your application, instead of 20 business days that it did before:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/check-passport-travel-document-application.html

Has anyone who submitted less than 20 business days ago made a request to check status?
I submitted my passport application 14 business days ago in a regular Service Canada center and requested a status check online 2 days ago, I'll let you know when/if I hear anything.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Are they opening up the passport offices to regular services without requiring appointments and proof of travel?? If not, it doesn’t change much.
I thought people are still lining up at passport offices daily as well as at services canada locations.
Looks like some are. Someone from another group I'm in said that the passport office in Brampton no longer requires proof of travel and received his passport a week after walking in. But here in Ottawa, proof of travel is still required.

CanEEPR

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a question if someone can help. I got my passport today via xpresspost after 18 weeks. But I applied for my family (spouse and kids) together and they only sent my passport. I tried to call their no , but it is always busy and they cut the line saying call later. any other way to check the status for my family. I already tried to fill their online form, but no response.
* I have submitted in person application (without any travel documents).

Last edited:

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Just a question if someone can help. I got my passport today via xpresspost after 18 weeks. But I applied for my family (spouse and kids) together and they only sent my passport. I tried to call their no , but it is always busy and they cut the line saying call later. any other way to check the status for my family. I already tried to fill their online form, but no response.
* I summited in person application (without any travel documents).
Perhaps inquire via your local MP
Or keep calling

singviet

Star Member
Aug 16, 2015
Singapore
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
08-03-2016
AOR Received.
02-04-2016, AOR2: 24-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-11-2015, Re-medical: 5-12-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-01-2017
LANDED..........
12-05-2017
So the passport office said they would mail my passport on Oct. 6th. Canada Post left a delivery notice in my mailbox yesterday Oct 11th (I don't think they attempted to contact me because I was home and waiting)

Picked up the passport today. Pleasantly surprised with how smooth this went considering how long and frustrating the rest of the citizenship process was. Best of luck all.

emmycad

Star Member
Apr 20, 2018
Please guys, what is the latest on in person application? Can you do a walk in and apply even if you don't have a travel date? Has processing time improved? What is the reality on ground right now? Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Please guys, what is the latest on in person application? Can you do a walk in and apply even if you don't have a travel date? Has processing time improved? What is the reality on ground right now? Thanks
It seems you have to look at specific office where you wish to apply, some may be accepting without travel dates.

Overall processing times have approved but some offices it seems muhc busier than others. You can look at this thread for specific office experiences.

lingow

Dec 30, 2020
Passport pick-up experience at the Ottawa office: had an appointment at 3pm; was there at 2:40 or so, with about 5 people in front of me. The line was already moving, and quickly. I was out of there in 10 minutes, and the pickup itself took about a minute. And that's the end of the process, it was a fun ride!

Good luck to everyone.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Passport pick-up experience at the Ottawa office: had an appointment at 3pm; was there at 2:40 or so, with about 5 people in front of me. The line was already moving, and quickly. I was out of there in 10 minutes, and the pickup itself took about a minute. And that's the end of the process, it was a fun ride!

Good luck to everyone.
Congrats! That's good to hear it went smoothly for you. Did you see a line for applying for passports?

Reactions: Toronto1971

xt86

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021
I have travel planned in a couple of weeks, so wanted to get the passport quickly via urgent or express service (BC lower mainland). I’ve been checking the walk-in times in the last few days, and it’s usually 4-5 hours in the morning at all local passport offices (Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey), although sometimes it’s only 2-3 hours in the afternoon. On Wednesday I met with a friend who signed my application as guarantor , so afterwards at around 2pm I decided to check the walk in times, and noticed Richmond was only one hour wait time (never saw it that low before). Luckily I was only 10 minutes away from the office, so drove there, and only had to wait 45 minutes until my turn came. I think I was the last one they let in, so maybe they don’t let people in after 2:30pm. Not sure. Anyways, it was very empty, no lines or anything, just waited until my number was called, when one of the agents was finally free. I asked for urgent next day pickup , since I have a flight in a week or so, but he said that doesn’t qualify for urgent, only for express (which is a lot cheaper), and I still get to pick up my passport two days later. So it’s a win-win. Picked up my passport today, so everything took less than 48 hours, including filling the application, getting the photos, guarantor signing , submitting it (Wednesday for all the above) and getting the passport (today, only took 10 minutes, parked in a public parking across the street, $4 for 30 minutes).

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
I have travel planned in a couple of weeks, so wanted to get the passport quickly via urgent or express service (BC lower mainland). I’ve been checking the walk-in times in the last few days, and it’s usually 4-5 hours in the morning at all local passport offices (Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey), although sometimes it’s only 2-3 hours in the afternoon. On Wednesday I met with a friend who signed my application as guarantor , so afterwards at around 2pm I decided to check the walk in times, and noticed Richmond was only one hour wait time (never saw it that low before). Luckily I was only 10 minutes away from the office, so drove there, and only had to wait 45 minutes until my turn came. I think I was the last one they let in, so maybe they don’t let people in after 2:30pm. Not sure. Anyways, it was very empty, no lines or anything, just waited until my number was called, when one of the agents was finally free. I asked for urgent next day pickup , since I have a flight in a week or so, but he said that doesn’t qualify for urgent, only for express (which is a lot cheaper), and I still get to pick up my passport two days later. So it’s a win-win. Picked up my passport today, so everything took less than 48 hours, including filling the application, getting the photos, guarantor signing , submitting it (Wednesday for all the above) and getting the passport (today, only took 10 minutes, parked in a public parking across the street, $4 for 30 minutes).
I had virtually identical experience at the Mississuaga office a month ago. Application submitted on 09/09 for a trip on 9/14. Passport was ready by 10AM on 9/14. So, under 48 hours excluding the weekend and only paid the express, not urgent, fee. And even parking was free at that (shady) strip mall. :)

And both in-take and pickup agents were super nice. They were both friendly and efficient. I suppose Passport Canada is finally listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashvez and xt86

CanEEPR

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can anyone confirm if they keep the original passport in case of child passport renewal for in-person application or original passport is return along with new one ?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Can anyone confirm if they keep the original passport in case of child passport renewal for in-person application or original passport is return along with new one ?
what did u indicate in the forms??

It depends on your selection in the form.
they can cancel the previous one and return it to you, or they just destroy the previous one.
Not really necessary unless there's valid visas in it….