+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

inameiname

Star Member
Jul 27, 2012
Hello everyone,

I submitted a mail-in passport application on August 10, 2022 and I noticed that the application processing fee was applied to my credit card on August 30, 2022.

Does the fact that they've already charged my credit card suggest that Service Canada has already started processing my application? Can anyone please tell me how much longer the process may take at this stage?

Thank you very much in advance .
Not necessarily. We were charged nearly four months before receiving our passports. Although, the processing times are much quicker now and everyone’s experiences are different, so who knows.

Kashmira89

Star Member
Dec 27, 2016
Hey guys,

A little update on my end.

Finally, I got my passport on Aug 26 after 2 weeks of waiting.

When I arrived at 3 PM, there is a long line of 20 people in the waiting room.
By 3:30 PM, they brought us to the pickup counter.
I was out by 3:40 with the passport.
And lastly, I requested a full refund for the paid Air Canada ticket earlier.

Thanks god, finally, the painful journey has been fully completed.
Good luck everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sharing my experience as a walk-in one at North York Passport Office (4900 Yonge St) on Aug 12, 2022.

Mine was an adult application for me only.
- Application
- Driver's license.
- Citizenship certificate
- 2 photos
- 1-way 100% refundable ticket with the travel date on Sep 15, 2022. (I will refund this after receiving my passport.)

On the board notice, they said to prioritize those who are traveling on Aug 19, 2022.
  • Lined up at 5:30 am and was the 20th in line.
  • Around 7:30 am, a security guard opened the main door and allow us to line up on the 2nd floor. There are around 60 people in line at that time.
  • Around 8 am, they brought the first 25th on the line to the 3rd floor to the waiting room. At the waiting room entrance, the agent gave us a numbered paper token and verbally asked us whether all required documents are with us. And he didn't check any documents.
  • Around 8:15 am, they brought us to another room where they would check our documents. There are only 2 counters for checking-up and 1 for returning in this room.
  • By 8:30, 2 staff showed up.
  • I waited until 9:10 for my turn. Then they checked and clipped on all required documents, after that, they gave me another numbered ticket (mine is N015) and asked me to go straight to the passport service room.
  • In the passport service room, there are 17 counters but only 7-8 opened. The guards were so nice, that he went around and asked if you need water.
  • Around 9:45, they called my number. They checked my documents and returns everything except the application.
  • I was out around 9:55 with the receipt for a pick-up on Aug 26.
It was mostly 4.5 hours but I finally got it.
Can't wait to see the passport in the next 2 weeks.
@callmebyyourname Did they contact your references or guarantor

Sep 1, 2022
Hi, just wanted to share my experience on appliying in person for NEW Canadian passport.

Office: Kitchener - great experience
Applied: Aug 12 - at noon, no lines outside the office, whole process was aprox 2 hrs.
Received : Aug 26 (pick up service) - no lines

Travel plans for Today Sept 1, crossing the US border for the long weekend. Had hotel reservations and contact info and Green Card of family member in US- they didn’t even look at the proof.
Good luck to all.

Reactions: andrem

alou1221

Aug 8, 2022
hold On hold on - this sounds waaaay too ludicrous even for Canada. Because let’s face it Canadian workers at federal locations have indeed lost their minds but this takes it to a new level. The application CLEARLY states the reference can be someone you know for at least two years. What if you don’t work or don’t go to university? Then how can this reference be a teacher or a boss?? And the ID you presented was again within the exact rules and requirements of the application.
So either you are spreading misinformation, or this is a situation where you need to lodge a formal complaint on this dickhead who did that to you unjustifiably might I add
I went to that Passport Canada where I was asked about teacher or boss and wrote 4 references not 'Friends' it's 'Studied together'
the reception accepted my application and I went to a counter for submission and paid the fee.

Actually I never talked to my boss even don't have contact info, my professors neither. There's no way they recognise me.

It depends on the officer you encounter. I was going to 'commute' there if they keep on adding conditions. Hopefully 4th attempt worked.

I had to keep low-profile being very polite and obedient because I'm trapped in Canada.

Last edited:

alou1221

Aug 8, 2022
I attempted 4 times and managed to pass the reception desk and get to the counter.
I was an applicant without guarantor, I submit additional pptc 132 with 4 of my friends in Canada
so they kept on asking if there are someone could be my guarantor (like my landlord)
They really don't like my situation like mine.. without guarantor.

And they absolutely don't accept foreign passports (from my previous country of citizenship) as an ID. Had to show my driver's licence.

They called all of my 4 references today, but only one answered so they called me to urge my references to call back to passport canada.

Even after calling my references, they said there is no guarantee that I can get the passport.

• Wow
Reactions: callmebyyourname

corolla110

Star Member
Dec 7, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I attempted 4 times and managed to pass the reception desk and get to the counter.
I was an applicant without guarantor, I submit additional pptc 132 with 4 of my friends in Canada
so they kept on asking if there are someone could be my guarantor (like my landlord)
They really don't like my situation like mine.. without guarantor.

And they absolutely don't accept foreign passports (from my previous country of citizenship) as an ID. Had to show my driver's licence.

They called all of my 4 references today, but only one answered so they called me to urge my references to call back to passport canada.

Even after calling my references, they said there is no guarantee that I can get the passport.
I'm in the same boat. No guarantor and submitted my application with PPTC132 in August. Lets see how it goes.

Reactions: alou1221

alou1221

Aug 8, 2022
hold On hold on - this sounds waaaay too ludicrous even for Canada.
This is what's happening now.

I had no guarantor so i brought additional form - in lieu of guarantor form (PPTC 132)
They said first time after seeing this form, "you need to fill out the guarantor section", as if they had never seen this pptc 132.
They left his place to ask his coworker and told me to write my boss or teacher instead of just 'friends'
Last time when i visited, I wrote Studied together, not just friend and they let me through. It was a different officer, not the one who asked my boss info.

Looks like Canada follows Britain style passport program, which requires useless guarantor or references, without any logic or reason and
Because of that, many people are forming lines everyday. If Canada gave me the citizenship, it's Canada which should guarantee my identity!

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
How d
Officer at a reception desks are so weird.

I went to a Passport Canada in person 3 times and denied for submitting application by reception after 2 hours waiting.
I wasn't even able to submit application, because of the reception officer pointing out at what they think it's an error.

At the first visit, I showed them my foreign passport and medicare card and they asks more ID.

the second, They blocked me for the reason that the relation with my references are friend. not boss from work or teacher from university.
(Reference can be anyone who knows me for 2 years, except relatives or guarantor, not need to be a boss or professor. can be friend)

the third, even the officer who arrange appointments for application didn't accept my proof of travel asking me,

"Where are you sleeping? Do you have hotel reservation? Where is your return ticket?"

I answered

"A ticket for departure is not enough as proof?" and they who just make appointment for application in person strongly said "No."

I told them that once I get my passport then I will decide where to stay. (Why do I have to pay while they don't let me in, they want me in bankrupcy??)

I cannot even reach the officer who will process my application, there are so many agents to go through putting additional conditions to
my eligibility!!

Looks like I've been trapped in Canada. They want me to give up my citizenship
Why do they want you to give up your citizenship ?

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello, did anyone present their foreign passport as ID ?
did They accept it ? On their website it says they accept it .
I have my drivers license but it has my address of 2 years ago ( I know I didn’t update it because I didn’t know I had to update it ) so I’m worried it would be a problem if I submit it .
pls help. Thanks

Didona84

Star Member
Nov 3, 2015
Change your driving licence, then apply. Or use your health card. The ID needs to be issued by Canadian federal or provincial government.

Aug 19, 2022
Hello,
I have 2 questions regarding applying for emergency passport in person in Vancouver

1) Do I need to get guarantor’s signed copies of my ID’s if I present the original ID’s while applying in person ?

2) is one way bus ticket to an American city good enough as travel plan/ document? Or do I need to show hotel bookings as well?

Thanks in Advance!

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hello,
I have 2 questions regarding applying for emergency passport in person in Vancouver

1) Do I need to get guarantor’s signed copies of my ID’s if I present the original ID’s while applying in person ?

2) is one way bus ticket to an American city good enough as travel plan/ document? Or do I need to show hotel bookings as well?

Thanks in Advance!
1. No
2. It’s sufficient

Reactions: NotAskingforafriend