+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Change your driving licence, then apply. Or use your health card. The ID needs to be issued by Canadian federal or provincial government.
I’m not in Canada anymore so I can’t change my Id ! I’m applying at the embassy from abroad ! Will they accept my health card ? It doesn’t have my picture on it . Thanks
On their Website it says foreign passport is accepted ! But they didn’t accept yours ? Thanks

canadian.2014

Star Member
Jun 14, 2021
Sharing my experience in detail at Brampton Passport Office (40 Gillingham Drive) for travel date 3rd September, 2022.

Lined up at 6:00 am [10th in the line].

At around 7:00 am, security guards verbally asked everyone (without asking for documents) whether you have proof of travel or need of travel.
If travel is more than 45 days later, they asked to join service Canada line at 60 Gillingham Drive

At around 7:30 am, one of the agents walked around and verbally asked everyone on what type of application, whether all the require documents are with you, etc. He was very helpful and guided few people who were missing documents.

At around 8:15, security guards handed over a numbered paper token to everyone who was standing in the line. Only one member from family is allowed inside, he/she needs to carry applications for all the family members along with their originals. They agent may ask for the family member at the counter so let them wait outside until your application is submitted.

At sharp 8:30 am, we were allowed inside the building, by this time the lineup must be at least 60-70 people.

After entering, we were asked to line up near counter 1 and 2. On these counter they checked if all required documents are in order.
Mine was adult passport application so only application, proof of travel, original citizenship certificate and original driving license was needed (all originals are returned back to you)
They paper clipped the documents and provided a new numbered paper token with application.
This token is for actual counters where the application needs to be submitted. There is screen which shows which counter you need to go based on this token number.

I had to wait for 10-15 mins to be assigned to a counter.

At the counter, agent asked for the paper clipped application, verified each and every field in the application and scanned all the originals. I was asked to sign a card which had the photo I submitted.

I was out by 9:04 am.

If you are travelling by car, make sure you have a written letter explaining the need of travel else show a booked ticket, etc.
I picked my passport on 25th August.

No hassle just submit the receipt and get the passport from the officer.

They ask you to check if everything is correct and sign below your photograph.
They remind you to sign the Page 3 of your passport without which your passport is invalid.

rrrowan

Nov 1, 2021
Hi! Do you have any idea how many people were in the line at 8am that day? Thanks!

I can share my experience for Vancouver, Sinclair Building.

1 adult application, 10 year validity
Driver's license for ID
Travel date: October 2nd - October 6th

Lined up at 5.45 AM outside the building. When I arrived 8 people were ahead of me.

They let us in at 7AM. The guards were really nice. They handed out face masks, water bottles and additional paper applications in case anyone needed them. We had to wait outside the waiting room for Triage Process.

Then the triaging process begins, where an agent will rank you into groups based on travel dates. They do ask for a proof of travel document to be shown, but it doesn't look like they are very strict in checking the documents (at least for me). During the triage, the agent will give you a token and assign you a category. I was put under "Dropbox" category - don't know what it means. Urgent cases seemed to fall under "White Paper" category. After the Triage, the guard takes note of my token number and I was seated inside the waiting area around 8AM.

Some folks can use the washroom and grab a coffee if they like during the wait. As long as you have the token, you can go outside and get refreshed. It won't affect your order in the queue.

At 8.30AM sharp, they started taking groups of 15 amongst the Dropbox category. They take you to the passport service waiting area (where the agents are). The agents will call you by queue order. I was first so I started my process at 8.35AM and was out by 8.40AM by the time the agent had verified my application (just checked citizenship cert and driver's license, phots and application details) and payment was done. I opted for the priority mail option to receive my passport.

Overall a smooth process.

wksj

Oct 7, 2021
I went to the St. Catharines passport office. The website said 2.5 hour wait time, but I only had to wait for 2 people. They said they will call my guarantor and references for sure because it is an urgent request, and I will get it tomorrow.

dibyapal

Star Member
Oct 5, 2018
I applied for my Canadian passport (express service) on 24th at the Brampton passport office. I received it on 6th September. This was really fast considering that monday was a holiday.

etheriel

Oct 6, 2018
Hey guys,

I applied for my passport May 19 in person, but still hadn't heard anything back. As I'm traveling soon (Sep 22), I called the helpline and got my file transferred to my closest local office (downtown Toronto).

However, I'm concerned/worried as the agent said I could receive the call to pick it up right on the last day before travel? And even then there are no guarantees? I don't really want to continue solidifying my plans without a passport.

Since I'm planning to drive for my travel, the agent said I can provide a written declaration of itinerary as proof of travel. Considering that, I'm wonder if it'd be possible to now call the helpline and tell them my planned travel dates have moved up (i.e. Sep 16 or something?).

I know it sounds sketchy and probably is, but just wondering if that's an option and doable? I wouldn't mind just to have my passport in hand with a fair bit of time to plan etc.

Please let me know if anyone has an idea? Thanks!

ryalla

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
Hi all,

small question. we are family of 3. for applying in-person, all 3 of us need to go or can i submit the applications on behalf of my spouse and 5 yr old daughter?

notsniw817

Jun 25, 2013
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2013
AOR Received.
08-06-2013
File Transfer...
07-07-2015
Med's Request
26-05-2014
Med's Done....
02-06-2014
Interview........
Tomorrow
Passport Req..
Tomorrow
VISA ISSUED...
Tomorrow
LANDED..........
Tomorrow
Passport Applied May 27 @ Service Canada Surrey
Passport Received September 8

Contacted MP last Aug 31 with travel itinerary for October 17,2022
Passport Office ( No Caller ID)called September 2 for Birthplace verification
Passport issued September 3
Just Sharing

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Hi all,

small question. we are family of 3. for applying in-person, all 3 of us need to go or can i submit the applications on behalf of my spouse and 5 yr old daughter?
I think you can apply for them, just ensure they’re close by so that u can call them in if necessary
(They usually don’t need to see children but can ask for spouse)

but bcaz of covid they’re not asking for all to be present……good luck

Reactions: ryalla

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Have the lineups at passport offices improved yet for the GTA??

ryalla

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
I think you can apply for them, just ensure they’re close by so that u can call them in if necessary
(They usually don’t need to see children but can ask for spouse)

but bcaz of covid they’re not asking for all to be present……good luck
thank you.