+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

Humanshado

Jun 27, 2017
Hello All,
Just wanted to share my experience with my Passport application. My wife and I took a day off to travel to Kitchener office for walk-in application. Our plan was to be there by 7AM at least as most people had suggested, but we weren't feeling well so had a very late start. By the time we reached it was 11.30 with quite a long queue, with people who came at 8.30 still waiting outside the office.

We just didn't want to return with the day wasted, so we waited and the line kept moving slowly. We entered the office around 2.30, got our token and was called in about 40 mins. We were done by 3.30. 4 hours in total but glad we got this done.

I had my travel dates with me and also mentioned the visa process for India. I was allowed for express service and was issued with pickup date as May 6th (Didn't bother about asking postal, cos I didn't want to risk delay). The staffs were polite and organized.
Did they ask you to show flight tickets?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I took my oath on 19 Apr 2022, got the Cit. cert on 21st, went and stood in line for five hours on the 22nd (6:30 AM - 11:30 AM) at the Yonge St. Office, and got my passport today, Apr 28.

I am travelling on Saturday Apr 30. They asked to see my tickets at the counter.
The long initial wait was a pain, but the rest was quite smooth.

Reactions: QueenPeaches

victor58

Apr 5, 2021
Which office you applied? Passport office or regular service Canada?

2nd part, I think you mean first week of June. If so you will have 3 months, which is sufficient for OCI. Although, they are not accepting OCI along with Surrender application at most locations. May be you can apply for Surrender certificate now and then apply for OCI once you get passport & Surrender certificate.
is there an option to travel to india without OCI and surrender certificate? dont you need a surrender certificate if you apply for a multi-entry visa too?

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
is there an option to travel to india without OCI and surrender certificate? dont you need a surrender certificate if you apply for a multi-entry visa too?
for entry visa surrender acknowledgement is enough Tourist visa you dont surrender acknowledgement also but is more restrictive and takes extra time to process

dopedupguy

Sep 30, 2014
Just wanted to share my timeline and most importantly my first hand experience at the London ON passport (not Service Canada) office.

Paper Application submitted/received: March 28th 2021/April 1st 2021.
AOR: July 13th 2021
Background check completed: September 3rd
Citizenship test invite: December 13th
Test taken: December 21st
Language/Physical act./Prohibition activity updated: February 25th 2022
Oath ceremony update: March 23rd
Oath taken: April 5th
Citizenship certificate issued/received in mail: April 8th/April 12th

London ON Passport office experience

Went on Apr 21, 22 and 25 @ 8:30am when the office opens up to do reconnaissance. Incredibly long queues as we are all aware (bear in mind, these are only people who want passport issued/renewed in 26 business days or less with travel proof). One of the official came out @ 8:30am and announced that they are only accepting applications for travels on or before 26 business days from that respective date. Also, people who have to travel in the next 2 business days can jump the line and go to front (there was a separate queue inside for these 'urgent' applicants and another regular queue for people who had been waiting since 5-6am onwards). In terms of travel proof she mentioned, I found it to be too loose and relaxed: air/bus tickets or Air BnB/hotel or just a written statement behind your application as to where you are going and why so they can make a copy of it.

I booked a ticket to Washington DC (free cancellation in 24 hours) for the long weekend in May (May 20-23) just to get the passport as a new citizen. Reached the London office April 26th @ 6am and was #7 in the queue. As soon as the office opened at 8:30, the lady came out and made the same announcement and some people behind me went straight to the front. Security guard checks your travel proof before ushering you in the regular queue. I first went to the information window (took an hour to reach there at 9:30am) where the employee behind the counter checks your application/photographs/travel proof and confirms your travel dates, and gives you a ticket. Please note that of the 17-18 counters, only 4-5 were operational (and at any single point in time, one of the counters would be missing an employee for 10-15 mins) I then waited in the lounge area till 10:30am when my ticket was called. Took 5 minutes in my case but most of the cases were taking 10-20 minutes each. I can pick up my passport on May 10th (2 weeks processing time for a $20 fee. You cannot choose a faster processing by paying a higher fees as it's being done by date of travel).

My advice to the forum members:
If you don't mind getting up early and waiting in the queue for a total of 4-5 hours, do what I did. I could have gotten the ticket for 3 days out but I still want to respect actual urgent travel needs people may have. Otherwise, book a fully refundable air bnb anywhere in the US east coast that is driveable and show that as your travel proof.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
??? you Mean to say May 7th?
call the line they gave you to know the status. I sent so many not received any reply. so i called and got a cold news that it wasn;t approved and it could take up to 1 or 2 more motnhs. My mail out was 20th and 27th was the date to call if not received. I am Service Canada walk in applicant with no travel plan.
Yes May 7th. All I get on the 800 number is all operators are busy call back at another time.

JMG02

Mar 21, 2022
I have a question!
I’m travelling on the may 17th, and i want to apply for a passport urgently, could i slide in the application of my husband and my kid?(2yearsold) they are not travelling till June!
And pick them all together? Or they will have to send it by mail?

Sosad1234

Nov 19, 2021
Just wanted to share my timeline and most importantly my first hand experience at the London ON passport (not Service Canada) office.

Paper Application submitted/received: March 28th 2021/April 1st 2021.
AOR: July 13th 2021
Background check completed: September 3rd
Citizenship test invite: December 13th
Test taken: December 21st
Language/Physical act./Prohibition activity updated: February 25th 2022
Oath ceremony update: March 23rd
Oath taken: April 5th
Citizenship certificate issued/received in mail: April 8th/April 12th

London ON Passport office experience

Went on Apr 21, 22 and 25 @ 8:30am when the office opens up to do reconnaissance. Incredibly long queues as we are all aware (bear in mind, these are only people who want passport issued/renewed in 26 business days or less with travel proof). One of the official came out @ 8:30am and announced that they are only accepting applications for travels on or before 26 business days from that respective date. Also, people who have to travel in the next 2 business days can jump the line and go to front (there was a separate queue inside for these 'urgent' applicants and another regular queue for people who had been waiting since 5-6am onwards). In terms of travel proof she mentioned, I found it to be too loose and relaxed: air/bus tickets or Air BnB/hotel or just a written statement behind your application as to where you are going and why so they can make a copy of it.

I booked a ticket to Washington DC (free cancellation in 24 hours) for the long weekend in May (May 20-23) just to get the passport as a new citizen. Reached the London office April 26th @ 6am and was #7 in the queue. As soon as the office opened at 8:30, the lady came out and made the same announcement and some people behind me went straight to the front. Security guard checks your travel proof before ushering you in the regular queue. I first went to the information window (took an hour to reach there at 9:30am) where the employee behind the counter checks your application/photographs/travel proof and confirms your travel dates, and gives you a ticket. Please note that of the 17-18 counters, only 4-5 were operational (and at any single point in time, one of the counters would be missing an employee for 10-15 mins) I then waited in the lounge area till 10:30am when my ticket was called. Took 5 minutes in my case but most of the cases were taking 10-20 minutes each. I can pick up my passport on May 10th (2 weeks processing time for a $20 fee. You cannot choose a faster processing by paying a higher fees as it's being done by date of travel).

My advice to the forum members:
If you don't mind getting up early and waiting in the queue for a total of 4-5 hours, do what I did. I could have gotten the ticket for 3 days out but I still want to respect actual urgent travel needs people may have. Otherwise, book a fully refundable air bnb anywhere in the US east coast that is driveable and show that as your travel proof.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Thank you for your share.
Can I ask:
1. How did you get the certificate just 3/7 days after the oath? Usually it takes a few weeks.
2. From your experience, London passport office is not accepting applicants who do not have a travel plan right?
Except for the walk-in applicants, did you see anyone who has an appointment?

Thank you again.

dopedupguy

Sep 30, 2014
Thank you for your share.
Can I ask:
1. How did you get the certificate just 3/7 days after the oath? Usually it takes a few weeks.
2. From your experience, London passport office is not accepting applicants who do not have a travel plan right?
Except for the walk-in applicants, did you see anyone who has an appointment?

Thank you again.
1. I took the oath virtually at the Niagara IRCC office and got my certificate from there. Timeliness are erratic across the board but my status tracker got updated April 8th as Closed and that was the same date on the mail packet.
2. London passport office is only accepting people who have travel plans within the next 26 days. There were people with appointments as well who were ushered into a separate queue inside the office.

Reactions: Sosad1234

Sque

Star Member
Jan 11, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mississauga
LANDED..........
29-06-2014
Hi, if I have an appointment to pick up my passport for 2 pm in Mississauga, do I need to go in much earlier than that?

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
Hi Guys, I'm waiting on my oath date at the moment, but I plan to travel as soon as it's done.
It looks like getting a passport is multi week, if not multi month ordeal now.
I looked up online on Canada website, and it says there's a premium option where I'll have to pay more money and I can get it in 2 weeks.
Is this still an option? If I absolutely travel, I'd like to know if I can get it when I need it in a couple of days notice?

AnkiQC

Dec 28, 2021
Hi Guys, I'm waiting on my oath date at the moment, but I plan to travel as soon as it's done.
It looks like getting a passport is multi week, if not multi month ordeal now.
I looked up online on Canada website, and it says there's a premium option where I'll have to pay more money and I can get it in 2 weeks.
Is this still an option? If I absolutely travel, I'd like to know if I can get it when I need it in a couple of days notice?
if you have proof of travel, you can get a passport in no time by walking into a Passport Canada within 2 days of the trip.

sundeep_s_

Jun 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 09 2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
Jan 27 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 29 2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Mar 18 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24 2014
if you have proof of travel, you can get a passport in no time by walking into a Passport Canada within 2 days of the trip.
I will most definitely have a ticket, but the issue is i'm from India. I need to apply for OCI (Visa for India) after i get the passport before i can travel. That will take another 4-6 weeks!!!