+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
FYI Appointments:
It looks like if i search for 26 business days or dont have travel date then i see lot of service canada locations being listed for appointments within few days.
Not sure why they restrict to certain locations as all service canada need to send the passport information to Passport Canada anyway.

Looks like if we apply for regular ones then we can easily book appointments in service canada instead of standing in line for hours.
it takes atleast 2 weeks for service canada to send the application to passport office. then 6-8 week countdown starts. i will recommend to apply directly at passport office if they need passport soon
"Not sure why they restrict to certain locations as all service canada need to send the passport information to Passport Canada anyway."
those restricted ones may have passport office service.

Reactions: harirajmohan

Bains87

Sep 4, 2014
Just applied in person for passport this morning, stood in line at around 7:45ish and there were 2 people ahead of me, so not too bad, they said 5 weeks hopefully. So I am not sure if they take 2 weeks to send info to Passport office as @delray55 mentioned above.

Question for folks who recently became Canadian Citizens & are travelling to India, so if I get my passports in first week of May & if the plan is to go in mid September, should I bother applying for OCI or just do it after my trip back home. I have my tickets booked already and since its a family vacation I am not planning to change tickets as that will cost me more vs applying for a Indian visa. Honestly with so much mental anxiety I had to endure after applying for citizenship in 2019, I just want to relax now and not bother about another process where I am sweating for the process to be finished, although it would be cool to get OCI before travelling as long as its stress free.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Just applied in person for passport this morning, stood in line at around 7:45ish and there were 2 people ahead of me, so not too bad, they said 5 weeks hopefully. So I am not sure if they take 2 weeks to send info to Passport office as @delray55 mentioned above.

Question for folks who recently became Canadian Citizens & are travelling to India, so if I get my passports in first week of May & if the plan is to go in mid September, should I bother applying for OCI or just do it after my trip back home. I have my tickets booked already and since its a family vacation I am not planning to change tickets as that will cost me more vs applying for a Indian visa. Honestly with so much mental anxiety I had to endure after applying for citizenship in 2019, I just want to relax now and not bother about another process where I am sweating for the process to be finished, although it would be cool to get OCI before travelling as long as its stress free.
We have travel in 2 months and oath is on 2nd and 10th May hence issue for folks like us. So sep travel is great to get oci long before that. You should be fine to apply oci and get the process finished.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Which office you applied? Passport office or regular service Canada?

2nd part, I think you mean first week of June. If so you will have 3 months, which is sufficient for OCI. Although, they are not accepting OCI along with Surrender application at most locations. May be you can apply for Surrender certificate now and then apply for OCI once you get passport & Surrender certificate.

Bains87

Sep 4, 2014
Which office you applied? Passport office or regular service Canada?

2nd part, I think you mean first week of June. If so you will have 3 months, which is sufficient for OCI. Although, they are not accepting OCI along with Surrender application at most locations. May be you can apply for Surrender certificate now and then apply for OCI once you get passport & Surrender certificate.
I applied at Service Canada location in Maple Ridge, BC. Yes I am planning to get the surrender certificate process finished by the time I get my passport.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Observations regarding appointments for in-person passports:
1. It seems appointments are opened at 8 PM ET (atleast for GTA locations) for date 1 month from today's date.
2. They are probably not opening appointments for Mississauga & Brampton as there was no appointment available even exactly at 8 PM, while many appointments became available for other locations.

If your oath is in next 15-20 days & you are planning to travel after that, book appointment now (assuming 2 weeks for oath certificate to come) .

delray55

Apr 4, 2022

my experience was from 1st week of march in one of Toronto service canada location to be clear

Reactions: armoured

Kakashi03

Nov 6, 2021
Hello All,
Just wanted to share my experience with my Passport application. My wife and I took a day off to travel to Kitchener office for walk-in application. Our plan was to be there by 7AM at least as most people had suggested, but we weren't feeling well so had a very late start. By the time we reached it was 11.30 with quite a long queue, with people who came at 8.30 still waiting outside the office.

We just didn't want to return with the day wasted, so we waited and the line kept moving slowly. We entered the office around 2.30, got our token and was called in about 40 mins. We were done by 3.30. 4 hours in total but glad we got this done.

I had my travel dates with me and also mentioned the visa process for India. I was allowed for express service and was issued with pickup date as May 6th (Didn't bother about asking postal, cos I didn't want to risk delay). The staffs were polite and organized.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,
Just wanted to share my experience with my Passport application. My wife and I took a day off to travel to Kitchener office for walk-in application. Our plan was to be there by 7AM at least as most people had suggested, but we weren't feeling well so had a very late start. By the time we reached it was 11.30 with quite a long queue, with people who came at 8.30 still waiting outside the office.

We just didn't want to return with the day wasted, so we waited and the line kept moving slowly. We entered the office around 2.30, got our token and was called in about 40 mins. We were done by 3.30. 4 hours in total but glad we got this done.

I had my travel dates with me and also mentioned the visa process for India. I was allowed for express service and was issued with pickup date as May 6th (Didn't bother about asking postal, cos I didn't want to risk delay). The staffs were polite and organized.
What is your travel date?

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
I applied at Service Canada location in Maple Ridge, BC. Yes I am planning to get the surrender certificate process finished by the time I get my passport.
If you are without travel plan you may not get it by the time line they said, 5 weeks( they are no longer honoring the timelines due to high volume they have). My passport should arrive Latest by Yesterday and mail out was 20th April. called Last week and today morning as well, Application Not even approved, " we received your application however we haven't approved it Yet, it may take longer than expected due to high volume" she told me 1 or 2 motnhs more to wait.

if you are with Travel plan you may have chances to get within the expected date (but no gurantee)

for Surrender cettificate better start the process this week. There are delays at the surrender too. timelines changing randomly for Juridiction to Juridiction & aplication to application. If Surrender is ready by the time your passport arrived, you can save time based on delays with the OCI too.

GOOD LUCK

• Wow

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Applying in-person in passport office is faster than Service canada because of processing times is faster at passport office, correct?
Only problem is that i should be spending hours waiting in line, right?

I think that someone already asked, not sure if its in this thread but can one person apply for all of us in the family(including the child)? Any letter needed from other parent?

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Applying in-person in passport office is faster than Service canada because of processing times is faster at passport office, correct?
Only problem is that i should be spending hours waiting in line, right?

I think that someone already asked, not sure if its in this thread but can one person apply for all of us in the family(including the child)? Any letter needed from other parent?
Passport office is faster compared to the Service Canada. Becuase Passport office allows urgent process, pickup and it is a direct department when compared to Service canada who are Agents called receving agents who will send the documents and application to Passport Canada.

you can give a try for walk in for your location, becuase they keep changing the rules and Walk in mostly requires a travel plan with dates (could be tickets or other details like the webiste mentioned)

i just check for any update

4. Submit your application
If you’re applying in person and need your passport in 26 business days or more
By appointment
You can now book your appointment online (opens in a new tab). New
Without an appointment (walk-in)
You don’t need an appointment at Service Canada Centres (opens in a new tab).
Make sure you go to a Service Canada Centre, not a passport office.
Walk-in service is only available if there’s enough capacity.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html

it means they may not allow you walk in to Passport office. if you have time give a try, if not worked go to Service Canada. or book appointment.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone submit web form and get passport update feedback. My mail out date is scheduled for today. I have travel on Feb 7 but not holding my breath on getting my passport in time.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Anyone submit web form and get passport update feedback. My mail out date is scheduled for today. I have travel on Feb 7 but not holding my breath on getting my passport in time.
??? you Mean to say May 7th?
call the line they gave you to know the status. I sent so many not received any reply. so i called and got a cold news that it wasn;t approved and it could take up to 1 or 2 more motnhs. My mail out was 20th and 27th was the date to call if not received. I am Service Canada walk in applicant with no travel plan.

Thatsnotmyname

Feb 14, 2019
Observations regarding appointments for in-person passports:
1. It seems appointments are opened at 8 PM ET (atleast for GTA locations) for date 1 month from today's date.
2. They are probably not opening appointments for Mississauga & Brampton as there was no appointment available even exactly at 8 PM, while many appointments became available for other locations.

If your oath is in next 15-20 days & you are planning to travel after that, book appointment now (assuming 2 weeks for oath certificate to come) .
I just tried to book and got a slot for June 27th (for travel in 26+ business days). There were no slots for under 26 days. I'll call the office tomorrow to see if I get a different answer.