+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

portofmiami

Mar 28, 2016
Eventually you will have to transfer your file to the local passport office. I submitted my file more than 6 weeks ago, and still waiting. So, when they told you you could get it by April 30th, it's a stretch.
Thank you
Did you have a travel date booked when you submitted? They made note of that on my application. Don't know whether it will help but they asked me for it

portofmiami

Mar 28, 2016
I was under impression that even at Service Canada office we can ask for 10 days express passport if there is travel plan in next 25 business days.

Is it not the case?
I was told this was not the case at my local office when I went in. I asked for express but they did not offer it. They did note on my application that I had travel booked within 25 business days

Karo10

Oct 5, 2021
Eventually you will have to transfer your file to the local passport office. I submitted my file more than 6 weeks ago, and still waiting. So, when they told you you could get it by April 30th, it's a stretch.
I called them today and transfered my file to local office

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why didn't you apply at passport office express? Your travel is in less than 25 business days. It you submitted regular file, good luck getting your passport before June.
sorry whats passport office express? is that different to normal passport offices or service canada offices? i am planning to walk in tomorrow. still not sure what to do.

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have few more questions
1.if one goes to a far off office just because they are less busy, does it mean the passport gets mailed out quickly too?

2. Is it worth it choosing to pick passport yourself? (if thats an option)

3. Does producing a ticket within 25 b days help with getting it sooner ? do they consider or the only option to get it quicker is by paying for the express thingy?

Anyone? Please and Thank you

Last edited:

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I have few more questions
1.if one goes to a far off office just because they are less busy, does it mean the passport gets mailed out quickly too?

2. Is it worth it choosing to pick passport yourself? (if thats an option)

3. Does producing a ticket within 25 b days help with getting it sooner ? do they consider or the only option to get it quicker is by paying for the express thingy?

Anyone? Please and Thank you
Express is a service offered by passport offices, which usually takes the passport 10 business days or less to be issued if you have a proof of travel in less than 25 business days. I am not sure about the different offices and different workloads on regular applications. My understanding all have the same processing time for regular applications, which is the same as mailing in applications. Remember, you cannot walk-in to a passport office. You need an appointment. You can walk-in to service Canada, though.

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Express is a service offered by passport offices, which usually takes the passport 10 business days or less to be issued if you have a proof of travel in less than 25 business days. I am not sure about the different offices and different workloads on regular applications. My understanding all have the same processing time for regular applications, which is the same as mailing in applications. Remember, you cannot walk-in to a passport office. You need an appointment. You can walk-in to service Canada, though.
thanks. I did not know there was a difference and that I cannot walk in to PP Canada. wow. Not too sure what to do. I have ticket booked for travel on May 1st.

i have tried to get an appointment following the website's link for 3-25 b day travel but it says no availability in any of the locations.

Also gave my number on website through which they call back, I never got the call back. (it may not be the process anymore I suspect)

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

sorry I am not challenging you. How updated is your info about not allowed to walk in to PP offices. is it like very recent or has it always been like this?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
sorry I am not challenging you. How updated is your info about not allowed to walk in to PP offices. is it like very recent or has it always been like this?
Many people reported this. Try your luck, but since your travel is May 1st, you could wait a little more for an appointment and be sure you won't be turned away. With express service you can get it in 10 days. They call back but not as soon as you expect, especially when your travel is not soon.

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
You are not allowed to do a walk-in in a 'Service Canada - Passport office' but you can do a walk-in in an ordinary Service Canada office.

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many people reported this. Try your luck, but since your travel is May 1st, you could wait a little more for an appointment and be sure you won't be turned away. With express service you can get it in 10 days. They call back but not as soon as you expect, especially when your travel is not soon.
Thanks. Will do. I just got off phone with an agent. said the online booking system if not showing any options suggests that there is no availability for the whole month. so that would mean the earliest appointment i could book for is May 6th (if it shows that by luck). what a joke

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
I went to the Service Canada office in Burlington (Appleby) around 2.30 pm today, without an appointment and waited in line for approximately 45 mins. Got inside and was signed in by an agent for the passport application for my family(3 of us). Waited for another 15 minutes before an agent called us to his booth. He took our applications, photos, citizenship certificates, ids, daughter's birth certificate. They made copies of the citizenship certificates, ids and the birth certificate and returned the originals. After everything was entered into the system, we paid for the application and he printed out the application and payment receipts. The passports will be sent by registered mail and are expected in a month's time, though they might come earlier. 15 mins at the booth, making it a total of an hour and 15 minutes in total.

It was a seamless process. Even though there were people with the appointments and had priority, walk-ins were being allowed in based on how each person was being processed.

Reactions: QueenPeaches