Canadian Passport in person timeline

z0mbie

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Hello,
Has anyone used the "Standard pickup" option for Passport i.e., applying in Person and then Picking up in person, with an additional Fee of $20? Passport could be picked up in 10Days. Do you need proof that you need to urgently travel for this option?

I need to travel to the US and will be driving, It says Proof you need the passport can be - "a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport", can anyone share an example on this letter.

I am in the Ottawa area. Any other tips/advise.

Thank you
Ratul
Check your local passport office delivery time. Last week when I was at the passport office on Aug4th, they were saying that the passport will be ready on Aug18th for regular processing. The passport processing times have improved a lot. So you may not require any proof.
I got my passport the same day as I was traveling over the weekend.

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
What's the average processing time for those without travel dates?
I cant be sure but i have seen passports coming in for people who applied in June already, even a case of july. It was not an urgent passport, standard application at service canada without any urgency.

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Check your local passport office delivery time. Last week when I was at the passport office on Aug4th, they were saying that the passport will be ready on Aug18th for regular processing. The passport processing times have improved a lot. So you may not require any proof.
I got my passport the same day as I was traveling over the weekend.
Perfect! Thanks for sharing the information.

I did a walk in today morning at 74 Victoria St (Toronto).
I got there at 5 AM and there were only two people ahead of me.
By 6 AM there were about 10 people in line.
Once the office opens, the process takes 15 mins.
The officer scanned the original docs and returned it to me.
She asked where I was going and by when I would like to pick up the passport.
After that I got a receipt and I was out of the office.

The staff was very kind, they offered water to everyone in line.
Even though some processes have been delayed, they are all working hard!
in person need proof of travel tkt ?

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
I cant be sure but i have seen passports coming in for people who applied in June already, even a case of july. It was not an urgent passport, standard application at service canada without any urgency.
Ok interesting. Do you know if they indicated travel dates on their applications? Someone is saying they aren't even issuing non-urgent passports if you don't indicate a travel date.

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Ok interesting. Do you know if they indicated travel dates on their applications? Someone is saying they aren't even issuing non-urgent passports if you don't indicate a travel date.
nothing like that, my own passport application had no dates. although it took 4 months because i applied in march. Now the process is lot faster. June , july guys are already getting passports. :)

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
nothing like that, my own passport application had no dates. although it took 4 months because i applied in march. Now the process is lot faster. June , july guys are already getting passports. :)
Alright, thanks. I applied in July so we'll see :D.

arpp12

Sep 18, 2019
HI guys, what is the best thing to do? I applied for my passport back in April and still haven't received it. i travel next month so i'm starting to worry. I called the offices but it always says due to high volume call again later, I already filled up a web requesting the status last week but nothing yet. i've seen some people contacting their MP and that seems to help, how do i do that?? or what else could i do?

thanks in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,
Has anyone used the "Standard pickup" option for Passport i.e., applying in Person and then Picking up in person, with an additional Fee of $20? Passport could be picked up in 10Days. Do you need proof that you need to urgently travel for this option?

I need to travel to the US and will be driving, It says Proof you need the passport can be - "a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport", can anyone share an example on this letter.
I used the pick-up in person, no problem, was ready the day they said.

I think you have it confused but it may have changed - the rule in place when I applied was you needed the proof of travel to apply in person at the passport office, the pick-up was either in person or by mail.

Sorry, don't know specifics about what proof of travel is required; we had tickets booked that they checked on applying for passport (not for pick-up).

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
HI guys, what is the best thing to do? I applied for my passport back in April and still haven't received it. i travel next month so i'm starting to worry. I called the offices but it always says due to high volume call again later, I already filled up a web requesting the status last week but nothing yet. i've seen some people contacting their MP and that seems to help, how do i do that?? or what else could i do?

thanks in advance
definitely contact your mp with your urgency/emergency. Search for your local mp and email him/her with the details.

saks2013

Jul 10, 2017
Planning to apply through Service Canada and I understand that applying through Service Canada location is very similar to Mailing the application in terms of timelines. Do they return the originals when applying in person?

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017

thanks in advance
Yes please conatc the MP and my wife file has an update with Passport required by 12th August due to visa appointment with BLS. Hope we will get an update before that.

this was the first communication from MP office. Not all offices are superfast. but mine medium fast to respond, but they did whatever they can do. i will update if i hear anything from Passport Canada.

Feel free to rwach out to your MP office.

First response:

Hi MY WIFE NAME,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, if you don’t have a travel date and proof of that travel date, passport Canada won’t rush a passport. If you have proof that you need the passport for something else (like applying for your visa) you may be able to get it, I can check. If you would like to proceed with checking on your file, please sign the consent form attached. If it doesn’t open up, please try to open it on other devices. Please send any proof you have with a due date, if any, in order to try to speed up your passport’s arrival.

Take care,

Amxxxx

Follow up email:

Hi MY WIFE NAME,

Thank you for the documents. Passport Canada told me that they have updated the date to August 12th and someone was actually working on your file when I called. I could not get an update on where exactly the file is at though due to it being worked on. I will keep you posted on the matter if I get any more information, but they are aware that you would need it for the 11th of August!

gracemill

Star Member
Mar 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2016
Doc's Request.
upfront
AOR Received.
21-03-2016
IELTS Request
upfront
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
26-07-2016
I indicated a travel date of July 31st when I submitted May 19th and still no passport. Mine is Edmonton though.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Planning to apply through Service Canada and I understand that applying through Service Canada location is very similar to Mailing the application in terms of timelines. Do they return the originals when applying in person?
Passport office returns the documents, not sure about service canada offices….
If all they do is fwd it to Gatineau then i doubt it

keep copies at home regardless of whatever they do…..always….

Reactions: saks2013

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I indicated a travel date of July 31st when I submitted May 19th and still no passport. Mine is Edmonton though.
Get it transferred to local office as u had a travel date

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Service canada returns the originals right away. Don't mail. I will recommend applying in person. You also get your file number right away.

Reactions: saks2013