Canadian Passport in person timeline

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks. my location is Vancouver. I read somewhere they are now back at full capacity? What time is good for booking appointments in advance?
Also i hope they dont say that the nature of travel is not critical
They had not asked for nature of travel when my spouse applied for passport in Mississauga. For GTA, appointment slots open at 8 PM EST for date a month in future. So today it will open for 18 or 19 June. Usually they get filled in 10-15 mins.

tanukisaint

Jun 21, 2021
1. Yes, you can simply walk in to Service Canada office, hopefully the lineups aren't too long and apply for passport.
2. Also, Yes you can use DL as a proof of ID, they don't need guarantor signature on copy of ID if you are carrying originals, so do carry original, if you are not planning to carry original, then yes guarantor needs to sign, put a date, not 100% sure if they need to write their name but always good to have more rather than less
Hi! quick followups to #2 -

- If we present our original DL as proof of ID, does the Service Canada rep just verify your information on the spot and then return your DL back to you?
- What about the original certificate of naturalization? Is that returned to you at the time of your application once they verify it OR at the time of them issuing you your passport?

I'm hoping to show up in person at Newmarket (NOT my local office) but wasn't sure if I need to be carrying copies of my ID document or if the above question applies.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Bains87

Sep 4, 2014

- If we present our original DL as proof of ID, does the Service Canada rep just verify your information on the spot and then return your DL back to you?
- What about the original certificate of naturalization? Is that returned to you at the time of your application once they verify it OR at the time of them issuing you your passport?

I'm hoping to show up in person at Newmarket (NOT my local office) but wasn't sure if I need to be carrying copies of my ID document or if the above question applies.

Thank you for your help!
For passport applications they don't keep anything original, just verify it and make copies if you are not carrying it, although I would recommend carry copies :). Also, this was my experience in BC, may be its a province thing and you might end up with a different experience.

Reactions: tanukisaint

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For passport applications they don't keep anything original, just verify it and make copies if you are not carrying it, although I would recommend carry copies :). Also, this was my experience in BC, may be its a province thing and you might end up with a different experience.

Thank you for your help!
If you are taking copy please make sure that they are dated & signed by gurantor. Although I think originals are sufficient & they don't keep them.

Bains87

Sep 4, 2014
They had not asked for nature of travel when my spouse applied for passport in Mississauga. For GTA, appointment slots open at 8 PM EST for date a month in future. So today it will open for 18 or 19 June. Usually they get filled in 10-15 mins.
For urgent application reasoning like work related, do they also process passports urgently for the rest of the family members? Clearly travelling for work is urgent for the primary worker but what about family? Anyone has experience with this?

Bains87

Sep 4, 2014
If you are taking copy please make sure that they are dated & signed by gurantor. Although I think originals are sufficient & they don't keep them.
Yes if you are planning to only carry copy then guarantor signature is mandatory along with date but if you are carrying original then no signature is required.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Call received from Passport Canada.

My wife was at School and she couldn't answer. They left a voice message with the Same Service Canada application number her name and asking her to call back.same hotline number.

I called and the agent refused to call her back at 4 pm after school, he said we are open until 7 pm and call any time after the school. We don't call out. Well someone called in the morning right. makes no sense.

I ask if i can get my passport status: Your Passport printed today , will be mailed out today or tomorrow. I can't give out information about your wife and son.

My wife called and they had difficulty in finding her City of birth, so they called to cross check. Meanwhile she called around 3 hours after they called us, they figured it out and got the city name. They still would like to make sure if the city is correct, then told her it will take 2 or 3 weeks to get the passport as she approved and sent to the next step. My wife is not tech savvy and she couldn't understand where they were searching, she told me I heard something like google. Not sure why they are googling or whatever the web site or place they are searching for the city.

Son passport printed today. Will be mailed out today or tomorrow .

I hope we get all our passports soon.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

My wife was at School and she couldn't answer. They left a voice message with the Same Service Canada application number her name and asking her to call back.same hotline number.

I called and the agent refused to call her back at 4 pm after school, he said we are open until 7 pm and call any time after the school. We don't call out. Well someone called in the morning right. makes no sense.

I ask if i can get my passport status: Your Passport printed today , will be mailed out today or tomorrow. I can't give out information about your wife and son.

My wife called and they had difficulty in finding her City of birth, so they called to cross check. Meanwhile she called around 3 hours after they called us, they figured it out and got the city name. They still would like to make sure if the city is correct, then told her it will take 2 or 3 weeks to get the passport as she approved and sent to the next step. My wife is not tech savvy and she couldn't understand where they were searching, she told me I heard something like google. Not sure why they are googling or whatever the web site or place they are searching for the city.

When my spouse applied for passport, person at counter asked if place of birth is city or town. Then googled & confirmed that its town.

nc_positiveguy

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017

Looks like the needle has started to move a little! Fingers crossed!

pmds

Mar 19, 2017
Hi Guys, I just received citizenship certificate. I am not able to book any appointment for passport application.

Please share if you have any tips to when i should try to book appointment.

Note: I am from Vancouver, BC

Thanks in Advance.

sk000

Jan 3, 2015
Do guys know when the agent said about passport status is "In Examination"??
Everytime it's the same status!! Now asking me to expedite the process if I want but that will cost me more! Like I have free money sitting idle at my bank! Why did you charge me upon applying then if you can't do it within regular processing time. Its so frustrating!

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Do guys know when the agent said about passport status is "In Examination"??
Everytime it's the same status!! Now asking me to expedite the process if I want but that will cost me more! Like I have free money sitting idle at my bank! Why did you charge me upon applying then if you can't do it within regular processing time. Its so frustrating!
call your MP if waiting for 2 months or more

• Sad
Reactions: sk000

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Service Canada has hired 600 new employees specifically to support the processing of passport applications, opened more dedicated passport intake counters in over 300 Service Canada Centres, opened additional processing hubs, and created a new workload management and processing technology to increase efficiency, all while meeting health protocols. Service Canada continues to hire and train more employees, and teams at the passport office, processing and call centres are working overtime every day and on weekends to increase processing capacity. This includes opening select Service Canada Centres on Saturdays for passport service.

awesome news!!!! :D

canadian1979

Sep 28, 2014
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Doc's Request.
CSQ received 11/08/2015
AOR Received.
28-05-2015
File Transfer...
06-07-2015 ecas status in process as from Aug 14 2015 Decision made 31 Oct 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-04-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 7 2015
LANDED..........
Nov 18 2015
Need some advice please.
My wife applied for her passport after aje did the oath in March 2022. We went to a Service Canada office to submit the application on March 29 2022. On the receipt, it says that the passport was expected to be mailed on April 28 2022. Today, we called after waiting 2 hours and the agent said that they haven't even started processing. We are due to travel on June 7th. What are our options now? Please help. The agent said to call next friday to request transfer the file to a local office? Should we just try and go to a specialized office to submit a new application?
Issue is resolved. Transferred file and asked for expedite processing

iSimran

Star Member
May 20, 2021
Hi all I want to know how to apply for urgent passport I have my cousins wedding in states in 16 days. What should I need for urgent applications? Thx