+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

bluecheese123

Feb 24, 2021
Nothing to be done. You can get new I94 by presenting Canadian passport whenever you reenter the country next time. if you are extending while inside US then start using new passport. Nothing to be done now as its not necessary to do anything on I94 immediately till situation comes for uscis extension or reentering US.
Thank you! @harirajmohan

GD.Iron.80

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
Hi, when I submitted my standard application today at passport office, the officer only noted down my credit card number and told me that card will be charged later. Is that the normal process?

when In person passport application is submitted..is the card charged at a later time or right when the application is submitted (in case of payment by credit card)?
In my case the payment was taken immediately and that was also the case for all the people I saw getting their application processed while I was waiting, but I'm sure there is no need to worry, they'll charge your card. Did they give you a date for then your passport with be ready?

onkar112

Star Member
Apr 5, 2022
In my case the payment was taken immediately and that was also the case for all the people I saw getting their application processed while I was waiting, but I'm sure there is no need to worry, they'll charge your card. Did they give you a date for then your passport with be ready?
thanks
yes, they gave me an acknowledgment slip with a date of mid-January

Reactions: Wandering Mind

ashraf09

Oct 4, 2015
Guys can you please suggest if is it better to apply for my passport (first time) through Mail in application or through in-person? I will be applying soon and currently residing in Vancouver. I don't mind applying through either, just want to know which one is quicker.

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Guys can you please suggest if is it better to apply for my passport (first time) through Mail in application or through in-person? I will be applying soon and currently residing in Vancouver. I don't mind applying through either, just want to know which one is quicker.
IN-PERSON application is better for processing fast

Reactions: Wandering Mind

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
We (family of 3) applied for our passports using the walk-in "Standard Service" at the Passport Office in Gatineau on Tuesday.

Everything went smoothly and we were in and out of there in under 2 hours.

Our passports will be mailed out in mid-January.

Good luck to everyone here.

Reactions: Pearly000

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
It's of course a matter of personal preference but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of sending our original Citizenship Certificates via mail.

The in-person application process felt more stress-free since all our original documents were checked on the spot and returned to us immediately.

I don't know about other cities but in the NCR, most people are receiving their passports within 10 to 12 business days.

Good luck!

Reactions: armoured

GD.Iron.80

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
Like people above said, in person is better. If you made any mistakes on your form, they will tell you there and then, so you can correct them. Also you don't have to send your citizenship certificate via mail. Finally, they will tell you when your passport will be ready and if you pay $20 extra you can pick it up yourself at a specified date.

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
Applied for Canadian Passport @ 74 Victoria St,Toronto this morning (Jan 6th)…Here are the brief steps

- Arrived at 8:10 AM. Get in line to see the first officer to confirm if I have all the required documents and got the ticket.
Waited for about 40 minutes before getting called to go to 3rd floor by security in batches of 10-15.
Make sure you carry masks as they are still mandatory in all the Passport office premises.

- Went up to the 3rd floor. Spoke with the 2nd officer for another waiting ticket. Waited for ticket number to appear on the screen with the counter number. I waited for about 1 hour .

- When it was my turn, went to the counter and the processing officer took all of my documents. He was very kind and even congratulated me on becoming Canadian citizen and asked whether i have any travel plans in next 2 wks. I paid for the express pick up service and received a receipt. As per officer we do not need proof of travel for express service and it is only required for urgent service.

The officer said I can pick up my passport at the same location on Jan 11th anytime between 8:30 am to 4 pm by showing the receipt which i received after payment.

Everyone including the security officer are kind enough to answer your queries. The entire process took me just under 2hrs this morning.

Hopefully this will help upcoming applicants. Good luck everyone

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Applied for Canadian Passport @ 74 Victoria St,Toronto this morning (Jan 6th)…Here are the brief steps

- Arrived at 8:10 AM. Get in line to see the first officer to confirm if I have all the required documents and got the ticket.
Waited for about 40 minutes before getting called to go to 3rd floor by security in batches of 10-15.
Make sure you carry masks as they are still mandatory in all the Passport office premises.

- Went up to the 3rd floor. Spoke with the 2nd officer for another waiting ticket. Waited for ticket number to appear on the screen with the counter number. I waited for about 1 hour .

- When it was my turn, went to the counter and the processing officer took all of my documents. He was very kind and even congratulated me on becoming Canadian citizen and asked whether i have any travel plans in next 2 wks. I paid for the express pick up service and received a receipt. As per officer we do not need proof of travel for express service and it is only required for urgent service.

The officer said I can pick up my passport at the same location on Jan 11th anytime between 8:30 am to 4 pm by showing the receipt which i received after payment.

Everyone including the security officer are kind enough to answer your queries. The entire process took me just under 2hrs this morning.

Hopefully this will help upcoming applicants. Good luck everyone
Hi, when the officer asks you if you have any travel plans in the next 2 weeks and you say no but still request for Express Service without the proof of travel, would the officer accommodate such a request? I'm also planning to go to 74 Victoria St in Toronto on Monday.

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
Hi, when the officer asks you if you have any travel plans in the next 2 weeks and you say no but still request for Express Service without the proof of travel, would the officer accommodate such a request? I'm also planning to go to 74 Victoria St in Toronto on Monday.
No, I told i have travel plans (which i have based to my work schedule) in next 2 weeks and do not have proof of travel as yet. And he told we do not need proof to apply for express service and is required only for urgent service.

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, while filling the application form, when I have to list the addresses for last 2 years, I'm facing issues when trying to put Indian address. I have lived in India and Canada in the last 2 years. So I'm trying to give my Indian address where I stayed but it is giving error message for Indian postal code, it is not taking the Indian province name, has limited characters for street name and apartment.

In addition, for addresses, it has only 2 sections on original application form and 3 sections on PPTC 056, which is a form if someone has more addresses.

I want to ask if I'm supposed to list only Canadian addresses and do I have to list all the addresses in a consecutive order?

Similarly, even for occupation, it has only 4 sections in original application form and 5 sections in PPTC 056 form. So do I have to put what I haven't been doing in the last 2 years in a consecutive order. I mean what if all the dates don't fit in the form, including PPTC 056?

As I'm planning to fill out the form tomorrow, I request someone who has already gone through the process to please respond to my queries before tomorrow.

GD.Iron.80

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
Hi, while filling the application form, when I have to list the addresses for last 2 years, I'm facing issues when trying to put Indian address. I have lived in India and Canada in the last 2 years. So I'm trying to give my Indian address where I stayed but it is giving error message for Indian postal code, it is not taking the Indian province name, has limited characters for street name and apartment.

In addition, for addresses, it has only 2 sections on original application form and 3 sections on PPTC 056, which is a form if someone has more addresses.

I want to ask if I'm supposed to list only Canadian addresses and do I have to list all the addresses in a consecutive order?

Similarly, even for occupation, it has only 4 sections in original application form and 5 sections in PPTC 056 form. So do I have to put what I haven't been doing in the last 2 years in a consecutive order. I mean what if all the dates don't fit in the form, including PPTC 056?

As I'm planning to fill out the form tomorrow, I request someone who has already gone through the process to please respond to my queries before tomorrow.
You'll need to print the form out anyway, so you can fill in some of the areas, like Indian post code etc... manually with a pen. The clerk at the passport office with enter it in their computer.

For additional info, in my opinion, you can add an extra piece of paper where you can add the additional jobs you had. Then the clerk will enter it manually in their computer.