+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian passport form and guarantor

Shinra_Tensei

Star Member
May 5, 2022
Good afternoon,

I have a couple of questions about the Canadian passport application:

- When it comes to the signatures on the form, does it have be signed by hand ? Are electronic signatures (like DocuSign for instance) accepted ?

- My guarantor lives in a different city that is a 9-hour drive from me, since they have to sign on the back of one of the photos, does that mean that I need to look for a different guarantor ? I can't think of any way where this specific signature can be done remotely...

Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sign by hand. You have to print off the document to submit.

Your guarantor must sign and date the photo and documents. Below is the requirements on the website. Find another guarantor or fill out documentation that you don’t have one.

Although most of the guarantor section on the form can be completed by you or your guarantor, the following 4 fields must be completed by your guarantor:

• Signature of guarantor
  • Signed at
  • Date
  • I have known the applicant for (number of years)
In addition, your guarantor must

• write on the back of 1 of the passport photos “I certify this to be a true likeness of (your name or the child’s name)”
    • They must also sign the back of the same photo.
  • for an adult application, sign and date the photocopies of each supporting identification document (ID)you submit to confirm your identity
    • This only applies to photocopies of ID and is not needed if you submit original documents
If you don’t have guarantor…https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#no-guarantor

Shinra_Tensei

Star Member
May 5, 2022

Your guarantor must sign and date the photo and documents. Below is the requirements on the website. Find another guarantor or fill out documentation that you don’t have one.

Although most of the guarantor section on the form can be completed by you or your guarantor, the following 4 fields must be completed by your guarantor:

• Signature of guarantor
  • Signed at
  • Date

• write on the back of 1 of the passport photos “I certify this to be a true likeness of (your name or the child’s name)”
  • for an adult application, sign and date the photocopies of each supporting identification document (ID)you submit to confirm your identity
    • This only applies to photocopies of ID and is not needed if you submit original documents
If you don’t have guarantor…https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#no-guarantor
Thanks. I just thought about a better option, I'll just complete everything and mail it to my guarantor to sign then they can mail it back to me.

Reactions: armoured

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
Thanks. I just thought about a better option, I'll just complete everything and mail it to my guarantor to sign then they can mail it back to me.
I know someone who did the same before and it worked. They just mailed the photo and the document for signature.

Shinra_Tensei

Star Member
May 5, 2022
Do we have to provide the second phone number on the application form, the one referenced as "telephone (other)" for ourselves, guarantor and references? Or can we leave it blank ?

sam3218

Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-07-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
06-11-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2018
Do we have to provide the second phone number on the application form, the one referenced as "telephone (other)" for ourselves, guarantor and references? Or can we leave it blank ?
Can we obtain signatures before our oath invitation? Is there a length of time that signature is valid for?
Asking because I'll have to mail the form to guarantor as well so trying to reduce delays.

Last edited:

Aticus

Jul 22, 2023
Can we obtain signatures before our oath invitation? Is there a length of time that signature is valid for?
Asking because I'll have to mail the form to guarantor as well so trying to reduce delays.
Hey!
I am in the same boat as you. So what did you do?

djshoki93

Aug 23, 2020
Never mind, got the "been there done that" answer from here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-guarantor.811759/

More precisely: you can have it signed by the guarantor well before you submit the passport application form and obtain your citizenship, as long as you follow the first two items under INSTRUCTIONS B of the passport application form (page 4), which states:

"All three (3) pages of the application form completed and signed within the last twelve (12) months, with page one (1) certified by the guarantor".
"Two (2) identical and unaltered passport photos taken within the last six (6) months, one (1) certified by the guarantor".

So the first item states clearly what the validity is for signatures in all three pages: 12 months!!
And the second item also clearly states the validity for the signature on the photo which is that of the photo itself : 6 months.

There is a misconception in other threads such as this one https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/guarantors-signature-for-passport-applicatoin.632880/ that the guarantor is signing a declaration stating that you are a Canadian citizen. What they are signing for is not the declaration of your citizenship, but they are signing for a declaration (in the box to the left of the signature) stating that they have known you for at least two years, that the photo is you yourself, and that any photocopied identity document is a true copy, and that's it, nothing about your citizenship status.

Reactions: armoured

Priya PAtel

Jul 2, 2018
Never mind, got the "been there done that" answer from here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-guarantor.811759/

More precisely: you can have it signed by the guarantor well before you submit the passport application form and obtain your citizenship, as long as you follow the first two items under INSTRUCTIONS B of the passport application form (page 4), which states:

"All three (3) pages of the application form completed and signed within the last twelve (12) months, with page one (1) certified by the guarantor".
"Two (2) identical and unaltered passport photos taken within the last six (6) months, one (1) certified by the guarantor".

So the first item states clearly what the validity is for signatures in all three pages: 12 months!!
And the second item also clearly states the validity for the signature on the photo which is that of the photo itself : 6 months.

There is a misconception in other threads such as this one https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/guarantors-signature-for-passport-applicatoin.632880/ that the guarantor is signing a declaration stating that you are a Canadian citizen. What they are signing for is not the declaration of your citizenship, but they are signing for a declaration (in the box to the left of the signature) stating that they have known you for at least two years, that the photo is you yourself, and that any photocopied identity document is a true copy, and that's it, nothing about your citizenship status.
Hey what date you did put with your guarantors signature. Oath date or the date of signing prior to oath

keys8014

Feb 4, 2021

• Signature of guarantor
  • Signed at
  • Date

will this line and a signature fit in the back of photo?