+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian passport and previous US B1B2 and ESTA visas

MakeItSoap

Jan 18, 2023
Hello there!
I just got my Canadian passport and I’m afraid I’ll have issues entering the US. I have two valid and non-expired visas - one B1/B2 and also an esta visa (for European passport).

Do I need to renounce/revoke my non immigrant US visas? I tried looking online in official websites (such as CBP) but couldn’t find any guidance. Does anyone know??

Thanks!

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Nope.

They will simply link your new passport with your old passport in their system - they know more about you than you know about yourself (at least from immigration point of view). You will enter US as you were used to enter before. They may take your fingerprints though, if your name is very common like 'John Smith'.

If I were at your place, for first time I would have carried all valid passports, and enter the US with Canadian passport.

So, don't worry.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Nope.

They will simply link your new passport with your old passport in their system - they know more about you than you know about yourself (at least from immigration point of view). You will enter US as you were used to enter before. They may take your fingerprints though, if your name is very common like 'John Smith'.

If I were at your place, for first time I would have carried all valid passports, and enter the US with Canadian passport.

So, don't worry.
What about a Chinese passport (B1/B2 visa)? I haven't told Xi yet but I need to enter USA with a Canadian passport.
China doesn't recognize dual citizenship but both Canada and USA do. Don't know how this will unfold...

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
What about a Chinese passport (B1/B2 visa)? I haven't told Xi yet but I need to enter USA with a Canadian passport.
China doesn't recognize dual citizenship but both Canada and USA do. Don't know how this will unfold...
If you are required by Chinese law to surrender your nationality and that is a precondition for getting a Chinese visa to travel to China after becoming Canadian, that would mean you cancel your Chinese passport. Once that passport is cancelled, any valid visas stamped on it become void automatically.

Reactions: Dreamlad

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello there!
I just got my Canadian passport and I’m afraid I’ll have issues entering the US. I have two valid and non-expired visas - one B1/B2 and also an esta visa (for European passport).

Do I need to renounce/revoke my non immigrant US visas? I tried looking online in official websites (such as CBP) but couldn’t find any guidance. Does anyone know??

Thanks!
Why are you afraid you'll have issues entering the US? Do you have a record or history of issues with CBP, or is this just general uncertainty?

That said, your Canadian passport covers the bases that your old B1/B2 visas and ESTA already do. I knew a career diplomat who advised, if you have multiple passports, always travel on the stronger passport in consideration of the country you are entering. For the US, as a foreigner, that is obviously the Canadian passport.

So only show your Canadian passport to the CBP. But if you are really paranoid, just carry the old passports in the very low chance you are asked to present them.

FWIW, I recently travelled to the US on my Canadian passport even while having an B1/B2 with a 2026 expiry in my old country's passport. I'm sure they also know my travel history on the old nationality. My interview took all of 15 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreamlad