+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian parents giving birth in India --> Canadians born outside of Canada

Dec 27, 2021
Hi, my wife and I became Canadian Citizens in 2023. Our child was born in India this month( Feb 2024). We got our child's birth certificate in India and are in the process of applying for Canadian Citizenship certificate. Has anyone been through this process before ?

They are asking for two Id proofs for the child and I am not sure what to submit.

Document: Primary Identity Document
Upload a colour digital or colour scanned copy of the front and back of a government-issued ID, such as:
• hospital card
• school records
• health insurance card
• age of majority card
• certificate of Indian status
• senior citizen's card
The ID must show the applicant's name and date of birth.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024
Hi,
I'm in a similar situation. Our child was born in India in Feb 2024. Can you please explain the steps on how to apply for citizenship for the child and how long are the processing times in India?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2021
Hi, I am still in the process. First step is to apply for citizenship certificate. I was told that while that is in progress, we can apply for passport:

Here is the email I got from India consular:

Thank you for your email.

IRCC has now launched online applications for proof of Canadian citizenship. Detailed information on how to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate is available on IRCC website.

Clients who are eligible to apply online include:

Children born outside of Canada to parents who were Canadian at the time of their birth because they:

• were born in Canada after Feb 14, 1977, or

• naturalized on or after April 17, 2009

If you are not eligible to apply online for your child, please send the complete application to the address given below along with the required documents:

Consular Section

High Commission of Canada

7/8 Shanti Path

Chanakyapuri

New Delhi 110021

The fee of CAD 75 can be paid online.

if there a need to travel in the interim, you may simultaneously apply for a Canadian passport for the child provided that the child is less than 2 years of age.

Please find below the list of documents required to apply for a limited validity passport (LVP) while citizenship for your child is under process. Please note that these passports are subject to approval from Passport Canada:

1. Passport application form PPTC042

2. Supplementary form PPTC445

3. Supplementary form PPTC116

4. Proof of travel

5. Copy of parents’ ID to be used as signature proof

6. Copy parents’ marriage certificate

7. Copy of Canadian citizenship/birth certificate of the Canadian parent

8. Fee of CAD100.00 can be paid online (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/fees/passport-outside-canada-united-states.html ).

9. 2 photos as per specifications provided in the instruction sheet with passport application form PPTC042

10. Proof that citizenship application for child is under process (AOR received from IRCC/ receipt for the payment made)

Reactions: armoured
Dec 27, 2021
Ok, I applied for my daughter's citizenship certificate on 13th March 2024. I received it today on 16th March 2024. If anyone needs more info, let me know and I can help.

upav

Apr 18, 2020
Hello,

Did you get AOR on 16th March ? I applied on March 2nd... Until now there is no update on my child's file