+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian parent Not on Birth certificate

Johnny55

Feb 7, 2020
To make is short and simple.

I have recently read that I can apply (get?) for Canadian Citizenship since my father is from Canada. (born in Canada)

I was born in the USA however my fathers name is Not on the Birth certificate. (It says unknown)

Is there anything I can do? I have never met him or talked to him.
Some extended family members know how to contact him.

So it is possible that he would cooperate with paperwork.

Any idea how to proceed from this point?

Thank your for your time hope you have a great day.

PS: I am in my 30's if that matters...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To make is short and simple.

I have recently read that I can apply (get?) for Canadian Citizenship since my father is from Canada. (born in Canada)

I was born in the USA however my fathers name is Not on the Birth certificate. (It says unknown)

Is there anything I can do? I have never met him or talked to him.
Some extended family members know how to contact him.

So it is possible that he would cooperate with paperwork.

Any idea how to proceed from this point?

Thank your for your time hope you have a great day.

PS: I am in my 30's if that matters...
you may qualify. Depends on how he got his citizenship. If you qualify you would need to find yourvfather and he would need to agree to do a DNA test when you apply for sponsorship.

Reactions: Johnny55

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your father was born in Canada, then you have a right to Canadian citizenship if you can prove that he is your father. You may be able to amend your birth certificate to add your father's name (check the rules for the state in which you were born*), but this would almost certainly need your father's cooperation. However, even then, if IRCC has doubts about your parentage, they could require a DNA test, which would also require his cooperation.

*Example:
Affidavit of parentage (Michigan): https://www.michigan.gov/documents/Parentage_10872_7.pdf
Application to Add a Father on a Michigan Birth Record: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/add_dad_6589_7.pdf

Johnny55

Feb 7, 2020
If your father was born in Canada, then you have a right to Canadian citizenship if you can prove that he is your father. You may be able to amend your birth certificate to add your father's name (check the rules for the state in which you were born*), but this would almost certainly need your father's cooperation. However, even then, if IRCC has doubts about your parentage, they could require a DNA test, which would also require his cooperation.

*Example:
Affidavit of parentage (Michigan): https://www.michigan.gov/documents/Parentage_10872_7.pdf
Application to Add a Father on a Michigan Birth Record: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/add_dad_6589_7.pdf
Thank you that is a good idea. I will look into the procedures for my state.

Is there anything I can do if he is completely uncooperative? (no idea as of yet)

I do have a half brother with the same father and I know the biological father is on his birth certificate.
DNA Test and some extra paperwork maybe?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Is there anything I can do if he is completely uncooperative? (no idea as of yet)

I do have a half brother with the same father and I know the biological father is on his birth certificate.
No, you can't apply if he won't co-operate. You need proof of his Canadian citizenship. Your brother's info can't be used.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Sorry, but the only thing you can do if he is uncooperative is to talk to a lawyer about getting a court order to force his cooperation, which would be a complicated, expensive process. An example of this was in the news recently, where the former King of Belgium was forced by a court to provide a DNA sample, which showed that he IS the father of the complainant: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48280203

Johnny55

Feb 7, 2020
Thank you everyone for answering my questions.

I will gather all the information I need to add his name to the birth certificate.

Then I will reach out to the extended family members who would know where he is.

After that contact him and hopefully he will be willing to be added to the birth certificate and to send me a copy of his so I can get citizenship.

I am not going to wait on this as he is 70 years old and I dont think there is anything I can do if something happens to him....

Johnny55

Feb 7, 2020
Does my biological father have to be on the birth certificate?

Or is is possible to skip getting the birth certificate amended and doing a DNA test instead?
Especially since we may have to do a DNA test anyways if requested.

Thanks again for your help!

Kohl

Star Member
Jul 3, 2015
Honestly I would get a good immigration lawyer. It may be expensive but coming from the states myself, Canadian citizenship is 100% worth it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just a suggestion. Perhaps contacting to get to know him first versus contacting him to get access to citizenship would go over better.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Does my biological father have to be on the birth certificate?

Or is is possible to skip getting the birth certificate amended and doing a DNA test instead?
Especially since we may have to do a DNA test anyways if requested.

Thanks again for your help!
Unfortunately your biological father's name has to be on the birth certificate. Adding your father's name on the certificate after the fact will likely trigger a DNA test request. They will not ask for a DNA test before your father's name is added. You are in a hard spot. Good luck.