+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian moved to USA last year, how do I file taxes in US and Canada both?

brankd

Star Member
Apr 28, 2020
so I moved to USA last October on H1B and before that I worked in Canada have T4 for 2023.
I am filing my taxes and have confusion. Apparently, cross border accountants are very costly.

Do I need to show Canadian income while filing taxes in USA?
How can I still be a resident of Canada and maintain my ties like keeping driving license, RRSP, bank accounts ?

Please guide me here.
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
so I moved to USA last October on H1B and before that I worked in Canada have T4 for 2023.
I am filing my taxes and have confusion. Apparently, cross border accountants are very costly.

How can I still be a resident of Canada and maintain my ties like keeping driving license, RRSP, bank accounts ?

Please guide me here.
Thanks.
This is exactly why most people use an accountant who is familiar with cross border filing of taxes. These questions are too complex and nuanced to answer on a forum. Unless you have very simple taxes just basic employment it is worthwhile to pay for a professional or pay for a professional to review your filings before submitting them.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Please guide me here.
Thanks.
So in a nutshell you don’t want to pay a trained accountant for advice . But turn to the internet for free advice?

Sounds about right

• Haha
Reactions: foodie69